PDA

View Full Version : Hades?

RatElemental
2016-03-11, 03:14 AM
Today I was reading through a few old strips, when I noticed a little something in this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0356.html).

Roy refers to Nale's plan as "having been shot to Hades."

Hades, as in the realm of the dead god of the same name, of the dead eastern pantheon that Roy had no idea existed until very recently (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html). And even if Roy had adopted that as part of his vernacular, there's no way the half-elf he's dragging would know what it meant, and there'd be no reason to reveal to him that there used to be another pantheon.

So I put it to you, fair playgrounders. Simple mistake, or some other wacky theory?

factotum
2016-03-11, 03:24 AM
Ummm...you are aware that the strip in which Roy mentions Hades is *after* the strip in which he learned about the existence of the Eastern Pantheon, right? Look at the numbers of the strips you've linked to.

Iamyourking
2016-03-11, 03:26 AM
Neither. He's talking about the Grey Wastes of Hades, one of the Neutral Evil planes.

RatElemental
2016-03-11, 03:31 AM
Neither. He's talking about the Grey Wastes of Hades, one of the Neutral Evil planes.

Oh. Well don't I look silly.

Murk
2016-03-11, 05:16 AM
I heard this wacky theory once that the Eastern Pantheon wasn't actually dead yet, and Roy was a favored soul for one of them without knowing it.

It all fits!!!

PallentisLunam
2016-03-18, 12:39 PM
The more interesting question is why Roy used Hades instead of the more colloquial Hell.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-03-18, 12:43 PM
The more interesting question is why Roy used Hades instead of the more colloquial Hell.
It's not like the Nine Hells don't exist.

Ah well, I guess the other planes deserve some publicity.

grandpheonix
2016-03-18, 03:41 PM
(Wait, ROY IS A FAVORED SOUL?!?!?! WAHOOOOOO!!!! That means he gets his wings in like.... two levels?)

Itrogash
2016-03-18, 04:07 PM
I think we had all kind of hells at least mentioned in the comics. Nine Hells, Abyss, Acheron, Hades, you name it. OOTS seems to follow D&D cosmology of every alignment having it's own heaven/hell

Bulldog Psion
2016-03-18, 04:36 PM
Well, I've been known to substitute various underworlds for "hell" in the common exclamations, just for the sake of variety.

Avernus, Sheol, (the river) Phlegethon, Niflheim, Duat ... they all slip from my lips at moments of stress. "What in the name of Avernus just happened?" Etc.

So maybe Roy is a similar linguistic eccentric. :smallwink:

RatElemental
2016-03-19, 10:18 PM
Alright, since this came up again anyway.

Ummm...you are aware that the strip in which Roy mentions Hades is *after* the strip in which he learned about the existence of the Eastern Pantheon, right? Look at the numbers of the strips you've linked to.
If you'll notice, I addressed that in the opening post, literally right after I linked to Roy learning of it. Kind of a moot point since Roy was likely talking about a different Hades anyway.

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-19, 11:39 PM
I think we had all kind of hells at least mentioned in the comics. Nine Hells, Abyss, Acheron, Hades, you name it. OOTS seems to follow D&D cosmology of every alignment having it's own heaven/hell

Technically, those other ones you listed aren't hells at all, only Baator is. Just like Elysium, Bytopia, Arborea, and the Beastlands aren't heavens, only Celestia is. And let's not even get into the Lawful- and Chaotic-aligned planes.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-19, 11:42 PM
Well, they are if you want to define hell as a place of eternal torment and heaven as a version of paradise.

Yes, only one of each actually contains heaven or hell in the name but that's not really the point.

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-19, 11:58 PM
Well, they are if you want to define hell as a place of eternal torment and heaven as a version of paradise.

Yes, only one of each actually contains heaven or hell in the name but that's not really the point.

It is if I disagree with your definitions.

Emanick
2016-03-20, 08:21 PM
It is if I disagree with your definitions.

But do people disagree with those definitions of heaven and hell in the OOTSverse? That's the real question. (Of course, we don't know the answer.)