PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5e Ascetic Rogue concept transformed into 5e equivalent

Arkhios
2016-03-11, 04:38 AM
Another thread debating whether Asmodeus still was a deity reminded me that once upon a time I had a Thayan Monk/Rogue with the Ascetic Rogue feat and the Decisive Strike replacement for Flurry of Blows from Player's Handbook II.

He was a devout worshiper of Asmodeus (even though at that time the Arch Devil wasn't considered a deity, iirc), his gimmick being a stealthy bastard who would single-handedly, and unarmed, assassinate his targets with one devastating strike (cue Sneak attack + decisive strike + automatic critical on sleeping or otherwise paralyzed foes + massive damage rules).

My current DM mentioned that every once in a while he might run us the AL scenarios when neither of us have anything of our own little campaigns to offer for our group (we generally take turns to give the other a little time to prep for next session etc.)

Anyway, I've been occasionally pestered by a player in our group about me always playing a goody two-shoes or something (admittedly, most are paladins) or similar, as much as implying if I couldn't play an evil character. Frankly, the person who does this haven't seen me playing one, so I'll give him that.
So, considering that Zhentarim faction allows evil characters to be played within AL, I was thinking that maybe this old but not forgotten (forgotten realms) character could make a comeback.

I'm thinking of him being most likely an Acolyte (since he's a devout Asmodean), and obviously Monk with a few levels dip in Assassin rogue.
However, I'm having a little trouble at which monk tradition would be best for him, and how much of each class levels I should pick.
Oh, and he's definitely Variant Human.

Please do throw suggestions at my direction, as the character build is very much in flux currently. Let's try and keep this within Adventurer's League boundaries, with a few exceptions. SCAG and Elemental Evil materials are open to us regardless of season, as our DM won't be reporting the games (not that it matters, because in our region organized events hosting AL are pretty much nonexistent, and most of us won't be traveling abroad just to attend conventions and play.)

Synopsis of Minimum Requirements:
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Faction: Zhentarim
Deity: Asmodeus
Race: Variant Human.
Stats: Point-buy or standard array as default for AL.
Levels: Monk ?/Rogue 3+ (Assassin)
Background: Acolyte (most likely, but suggestions are welcome)
Open Sources: PHB, EEPC, SCAG, and the like, as default for AL, but each regardless of season.

I was thinking maybe...
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
...with Standard Array, racials in Dex and Wis.
Feat: Maybe Alert.
Or...
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8
...with Point-Buy, racials in Dex and Wis.
Feat: Observant or Resilient Wisdom.