PDA

View Full Version : What should i buy?

GoldenDwarf
2016-03-11, 07:03 AM
Hello everybody,

What book can i better buy? I already have the PHB and SCAG.
Is the MM or DMG better next?

Thanks in advance.:smallwink:

lebefrei
2016-03-11, 07:08 AM
You have no reason to purchase either of the books you listed unless you plan to be a Dungeon Master. If you want to be one, you should own both.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-03-11, 09:56 AM
You have no reason to purchase either of the books you listed unless you plan to be a Dungeon Master. If you want to be one, you should own both.

This. Players don't need much materials. But if you are looking to DM, then you might also want an adventure book.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 10:51 AM
Even if you're not planning to DM, both books are full of pretty pictures. That almost makes them worth buying on their own.

The MM is potentially useful to players, if you want to pick an animal companion or familiar from it, or Polymorph yourself into a monster. But then, the DMG has all the magic items, as well as rules for non-standard actions like disarm and tumble. So you might want it for that.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 10:58 AM
I would say prioritize the MM, then the DMG. You will have to improvise on magic weapons and the other alternative rules from it, but having a resource where you can flip a few pages and construct an encounter is very handy.

lebefrei
2016-03-11, 11:02 AM
Personally as a DM I've had issues with players owning the MM. It seems to greatly encourage metagaming. I don't allow the book at my table. I'll gladly scan and print out any animals they need.

As far as the OP goes, something I should have mentioned is that if you are going to be a new DM, you could just buy an adventure. It always has the monster stat blocks and often has some DM rules, and the rest can be picked up for free from here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules