PDA

View Full Version : Age of Conan MMO

Daze
2007-06-19, 03:34 PM
Anyone else excited about this upcoming game? Should be released this fall for PC and XBox 360..

Combat system looks dynamic and different. Actual skill will play a role, instead of the usual 'click and kill'.

An interesting skill/level tree... highly customizable characters.

A great world... if you never read any of the Conan novels, you should.

An "M" rated game (FINALLY!) Made by adults.. for adults.

You can check it out here:

http://www.wikiaoc.com/Main_Page

got some good info on the various features and such.

Shikton
2007-06-20, 02:36 AM
Yup. I'll be getting it as soon as it drops.
You know if they're gonna be racist and segregate one part of the world from the other? I wanna play with some American friends too.:smalltongue:

Matthew
2007-06-20, 07:49 AM
I have been waiting for this since I first saw the trailer for it a couple of years back. It looks great, but do I really have the time to spare...?

Daze
2007-06-20, 11:38 AM
Yup. I'll be getting it as soon as it drops.
You know if they're gonna be racist and segregate one part of the world from the other? I wanna play with some American friends too.:smalltongue:

No real server details have been released as of yet. Funcom (the designers) is a Norway based company, so its possible they might have seperate servers over there. But who knows?

I'm just hoping they have an RP based server

Murongo
2007-06-21, 05:20 PM
PvP areas are separate from standard player areas. Boooring. If there's a PvP server where you can fight anywhere then I might get it. That is if darkfall doesn't come out first.

Ronsian
2007-06-21, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking it won't be so great, I could be wrong and its 10/10. I was looking at Vanguard, which was supposed to be awesome (don't discuss, for a different thread) many people didn't like. Same with D&D online, etc. Darkfall, don't get me started. Conan will be out first, TRUST me.

Daze
2007-06-22, 07:55 AM
PvP areas are separate from standard player areas. Boooring. If there's a PvP server where you can fight anywhere then I might get it. That is if darkfall doesn't come out first.

I had heard there most likely were gonna be PVP servers, so thats good if you want the sort of thing.
Personally, I dont like getting ganked by high level griefers while I'm only getting started, but maybe thats just me...

I had high hope for Vanguard too, but they released it waayyy too early. Plus no instances, and I'm done with EQ style of gaming. Just not fun. But thats for another thread...

Inigo_Carmine
2007-06-22, 08:55 AM
I've had moderate interest in this, but I also have the knowledge that my current PC can't even go near this game. That it's coming out for xbox360 increases my interest (don't own one yet, but plan to once they release more stable hardware), but we'll see in a year or so.

What I'd really like to see is if they have an xbox free trial for it. Without that MMOs are expensive to find out you don't want to pay $15/month for them.

Daze
2007-06-22, 12:36 PM
I've had moderate interest in this, but I also have the knowledge that my current PC can't even go near this game. That it's coming out for xbox360 increases my interest (don't own one yet, but plan to once they release more stable hardware), but we'll see in a year or so.

What I'd really like to see is if they have an xbox free trial for it. Without that MMOs are expensive to find out you don't want to pay $15/month for them.

I wonder though about playing any MMO on Xbox... you'd think you'd need a keyboard attachment ("typing" with a controller is beyond painful). Also, it's kind of a double fee... paying for xbox live gold, plus the MMO fee...

I'm lucky enough to have a pretty diesel gaming rig, so I'll stick with the PC version. But I'd be interested to hear how the XBOX version plays out... (and whether theyd even be on the same servers as PCers)

Inigo_Carmine
2007-06-22, 01:26 PM
I wonder though about playing any MMO on Xbox... you'd think you'd need a keyboard attachment ("typing" with a controller is beyond painful). Also, it's kind of a double fee... paying for xbox live gold, plus the MMO fee...

I don't have a 360, but doesn't it have a usb port for a keyboard? or at least a proprietary one? How did FFXI get away with being on a console?

Most communication could hopefully be handled via voice, but main channel and group formation) would need to be textbased I suppose.

I'm not thrilled at the idea of an MMO on a console, but I never thought an FPS could be playable without a mouse and keyboard either. While I still think a mouse and keyboard is preferable, FPSes are certainly doable on a console these days.

Plus, I've become much too dissillusioned with PC gaming these days, as I think half of the last dozen games I've bought have had severe technical problems (and not from underperformance of my computer/vid card, etc) and ever PC game company's tech support might as well be a recorded message reminding you to update your videocard drivers (or roll them back). If that doesn't work, they simply stop responding to you; problem solved on their end.

Mr._Blinky
2007-06-22, 03:11 PM
If Microsoft is at all smart, they won't make you pay extra on the 360. People are already paying for XBL, so it'd be way more than most people are willing to pay again. It'd actually be a triple fee, as you have to pay for your internet, XBL, and the MMO. If they do that, there's no way in hell I'm buy it.

Meeeeebit
2007-06-25, 02:37 AM
Mmmmmmm........Age of Connan........

Kick ass combat system : check
Rts : Check
Mounts... : Check
PVP : Check
Really good Graphics : triple check
Everything ive ever wanted in an game ...... do I need too say more?

:smallbiggrin:

Arlanthe
2007-06-25, 04:51 AM
Reality CHECK.

All of these things do not a good game make.

I care not as much about these things as I do depth and innovation. I fthis is a good-graphics me-too MMO, with no depth or new innovation, then I am not interested.

Inigo_Carmine
2007-06-26, 07:39 AM
If Microsoft is at all smart, they won't make you pay extra on the 360. People are already paying for XBL, so it'd be way more than most people are willing to pay again. It'd actually be a triple fee, as you have to pay for your internet, XBL, and the MMO. If they do that, there's no way in hell I'm buy it.

Don't forget Microsoft will probably be doing their best to microtransact $5 from you for every update as well (aka monthly bug/new content patches)

There's a reason I said I was interested and not "I'm rushing out to get this on release day." ;)

Daze
2007-06-26, 03:33 PM
Reality CHECK.

All of these things do not a good game make.

I care not as much about these things as I do depth and innovation. I fthis is a good-graphics me-too MMO, with no depth or new innovation, then I am not interested.

*CHECK into the boards*

But those things he listed WERE innovative.
The combat system is totally different than anything that came before. Magic is unique too. Plus player built cities, keeps, dungeons.. MOUNTED combat! Name one other MMO which pulls these things off...
as long as AOC isnt buggy like vanguard, it's gonna be a totally different gaming experience.

(and Rated M... enough of this kiddy, cartoon MMOing!)

Murongo
2007-06-27, 11:25 AM
I had heard there most likely were gonna be PVP servers, so thats good if you want the sort of thing.
Personally, I dont like getting ganked by high level griefers while I'm only getting started, but maybe thats just me...

Getting ganked once or twice at the outset is a small price to pay for the challenge you get out of fighting people your own level. And of course, the satisfaction of beating people instead of a computer sprite. Personally, I don't like mindless grinds and absolute safety at all times with no chance of satisfaction or failure...

Corvus
2007-06-27, 07:43 PM
Oh yeah, looking forward to this.

Biggest change from standard MMOs? Healers get to have fun too. They aren't just healbots who sit back and play 'whack-a-mole' keeping the tank up.

Healing is done by HOTs - the healer whacks a few on (and apparantly they aren't short lived ones), and then can join in the fun, whether it be buffing, debuffing, magic damage, or just getting stuck in with melee.

Bear Shaman is the one I'm wanting to play - the melee-centric healer, able to wear medium armour and wield two handed weapons and tap into the spirt of the bea to buff friends and curse foes.

Gales
2007-06-27, 11:58 PM
I'm waiting for the reviews/positive comments from AoC players and then consider trying it out :)

Arlanthe
2007-06-28, 06:21 AM
*CHECK into the boards*

But those things he listed WERE innovative.
The combat system is totally different than anything that came before. Magic is unique too. Plus player built cities, keeps, dungeons.. MOUNTED combat! Name one other MMO which pulls these things off...
as long as AOC isnt buggy like vanguard, it's gonna be a totally different gaming experience.

(and Rated M... enough of this kiddy, cartoon MMOing!)

*Daze has moved Arlanthe 5 points closer to AOC*

Beleriphon
2007-06-28, 05:00 PM
Well, I've got my name in the hat for the Beta. Here's hoping.

Daze
2007-06-29, 12:38 PM
*Daze has moved Arlanthe 5 points closer to AOC*

LOL

Well glad to be of service. :smallcool:

Seriously though, check out some of the Wiki's up on the game already. It looks totally awesome. Normally I dont get all that excited either about most new MMO's, being that they usually are just carbon copies of EQ or WoW (and bad copies at that). But a lot of the features in this game intrigued me, should be a blast if done as they say.

Active combat should be interesting too (aiming your strikes). Thats completely unique, but I have to wonder.... how long before people complain about their laggy internet connections? heh...

Daze
2007-06-29, 12:41 PM
Getting ganked once or twice at the outset is a small price to pay for the challenge you get out of fighting people your own level. And of course, the satisfaction of beating people instead of a computer sprite. Personally, I don't like mindless grinds and absolute safety at all times with no chance of satisfaction or failure...

You bring up a valid point. Half the fun is being uncertain.
But even on the so-called PVE servers, there are PVP sections. Arena, borderlands, player controlled cities/forts... so the potential for good PVP is still there.

Oh.. did I mention the DRUNKEN BRAWLS?!?! Wow.. I cant wait for that! Supposedly you can do that in a tavern.. doesnt matter what level you are, but how much your sprite drinks. Sweet....

Meeeeebit
2007-07-06, 06:16 PM
I heard getting drunk ingame affects your screeen... eg. making everything go all blury as if your really drunk.

Shikton
2007-08-17, 02:29 PM
Aaaaand it's been pushed back to March. Teh sux.

Meeeeebit
2007-08-20, 01:30 AM
Well, I've got my name in the hat for the Beta. Here's hoping.

Esqqueeze me for asking but ive never done this..
How do you get into beta?
Ive heard tons of this about betas but never know how too join 1....
So how would get into AOC beta???

Shikton
2007-08-20, 09:15 AM
Esqqueeze me for asking but ive never done this..
How do you get into beta?
Ive heard tons of this about betas but never know how too join 1....
So how would get into AOC beta???

Just go to their website and apply. As long as they have open spots for beta it is possible to apply to get in.

2007-08-20, 12:55 PM
Only thing that interests me about this game is that apparently you can start barfights in taverns that don't allow weapons or any special abilities, just the skill of the brawlers and punching and dodging and throwing chairs.

So a level 1 dude and pick a fight with a level 50 guy and throw him out a window. :smallsmile:

Meeeeebit
2007-08-21, 01:47 AM
Just go to their website and apply. As long as they have open spots for beta it is possible to apply to get in.

T.Y Shikton!:smallsmile:
*Speeds of too beta*Wheee!