PDA

View Full Version : Build your favorite anime character

Sir cryosin
2016-03-11, 09:11 AM
Here is the challenge I would like to see how creative ya'll are. I want to see any builds base off of anime characters.

GlenSmash!
2016-03-11, 11:59 AM
It's funny I've been re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and I've been thinking how I would build various characters is 5e based on the characters in the show, I'll see what I can put together.

But you asked about *Favorite* Characters so here we go:

Guts, form Berserk

Race: Human Variant
Class: Barbarian, Berserker
Background: Mercenary Veteran from SCAG
Level: Depends on what part of the anime (or manga)
Feats: GWM
Max Str, 14 Dex, Max Con, Mid range Int and Wis, dump Cha

Notable magic Items:
Berserker Armor- I would say fullplate. When attuned acts as medium armor, allows Guts to ignore exhaustion while raging, has the same curse as the berserker axe from the DMG
Dragonslayer - Greatsword - Requires High strength to attune. When attuned does additional 2d6 slashing damage as if it was Large Size.
Canon Arm - Functions like a grenade launcher described in the DMG
Repeater Crossbow- Hand crossbow that ignores Loading property

mer.c
2016-03-11, 12:14 PM
Hmm, I don't know how well my favorite characters would translate into D&D. How do you make Batou from Ghost in the Shell or Ginko from Mushi-Shi, for instance? :P

Damn, I'm going to have to give this some thought…

Tarvil
2016-03-11, 01:22 PM
(...)Batou from Ghost in the Shell(...)
Maybe Arcane Trickster 8/Battlemaster Fighter 12?

Illusions will act as hacking enemy vision, you can easily dodge grenades (GiTS 2). Fight with dagger, heavy crossbow and hand crossbow, pick crossbow expert and sharpshooter feats. Go to town with your hard to kill, fantasy hacker with supreme firepower.

supergoji18
2016-03-11, 01:26 PM
How would one make Death the Kid or Asura? I can see one being an Aasimar and the other being a Tiefling, but what class levels would they get?

Sir cryosin
2016-03-11, 02:29 PM
I see Death the kid with a couple of lvs in fighter for archery fighting style and battle maneuvers feat crossbox expert. Duel wield hand crossbows. Then maybe warlock

mer.c
2016-03-11, 02:33 PM
Maybe Arcane Trickster 8/Battlemaster Fighter 12?

Illusions will act as hacking enemy vision, you can easily dodge grenades (GiTS 2). Fight with dagger, heavy crossbow and hand crossbow, pick crossbow expert and sharpshooter feats. Go to town with your hard to kill, fantasy hacker with supreme firepower.

Hmm, yeah, that got the gears turning! So how about:

Batou
Male Warforged
Fighter (Battlemaster) 12 / Ranger (Hunter) 8
Background: Soldier/Urban Bounty Hunter/Mercenary Veteran, depending on how far back we're going for background

Str 20
Dex 15
Con 20
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 14

Skills
Athletics, Intimidation, Stealth, Perception, Insight,

Fighting Styles
Archery
Two-Weapon Fighting – gotta get that strength modifier on both fists!

Maneuvers
Disarming Attack
Evasive Footwork
Feinting Attack
Lunging Attack
Menacing Attack
Pushing Attack
Riposte

Favored Enemy
Mafiosos
War Criminals

Hunter Abilities
Giant Killer
Fullmetal Will

Feats
Crossbow Expert
Sharpshooter
Tavern Brawler – with maybe 2d6 for his fists since… it's Batou
Grappler
Tough
Magic Initiate (Wizard) – Minor Illusion (eye-hacking), Message (brain link), Expeditious Retreat (damn fast when he wants to be)

Wears heavy armor (he's a cyborg, after all), fights with heavy crossbow, daggers, fists, or sometimes improvised weapons depending on what's appropriate/at hand. Has lots of fancy maneuvers in hand-to-hand, and just as deadly in ranged combat.

Monk (Way of the Open Hand) could work too since he's an ace boxer, but… somehow MMA doesn't really scream "Wushu-warrior" to me. :P Just getting the Combat Maneuvers and Extra Attacks, plus Grappler/Tavern Brawler seems fine.

theMycon
2016-03-11, 03:07 PM
It's hard to make Kamui (X) accurately.
His powers are defined roughly as "decides the fate of the world", "he waves his hand or stares intently and power comes out", "can create a barrier to prevent collateral damage", and "a little stronger than whoever he's facing at that time, except an awakened Kamui*."

But... describing him flavor-wise, ignore the mechanics:

Race: Aasimar
Class: Sorceror (favored soul) or Warlock (pact of the blade, Custom patrons "heaven and earth")
Background: Mystic
Level: 2 higher than you.
Feats: Warcaster
12 Str, 14 Dex, 18 Con, 12 Int, dump Wis, 20 Cha

*Kamui means "divine being" in Japanese, which is why it's the name of so many anime heroes & villains & powersuits. So there's both "a kamui" as a class of beings, kinda like an deva; and "the main character is named Kamui," who in this case may or may not be a Kamui.
It's like the name Angel, part of you knows people DO name their kid that often enough that you don't really think about it, but it still stands out a little.

Talamare
2016-03-11, 07:12 PM
Orihaya from DRRR
Race: Human
Class: Rogue
Background: Criminal
Feats: Actor, Mobile, Skilled
DEX 20 , CHA 18, INT 16, Rest 10
+5 to AC against opportunity attacks

Shizuo from DRRR

Race: Human
Class: Barbarian
Background: Entertainer
Feats: Athlete, Tavern Brawler
STR 20 , CON 20, CHA 14, Rest 10
May use bonus action to Dash

supergoji18
2016-03-14, 02:46 PM
I see Death the kid with a couple of lvs in fighter for archery fighting style and battle maneuvers feat crossbox expert. Duel wield hand crossbows. Then maybe warlock

I saw him as more of a paladin/warlock multiclass, but all the radiant damage features doing necrotic damage instead for fluff. Maybe also have him be an Aasimar (about as close as it gets to a Shinigami player race).

And Asura would be Tiefling Warlock, Great Old One pact. And some VERY high stats.

Sir cryosin
2016-03-14, 04:18 PM
Death the kid is not so much melee or str so I don't see any of the palay stuff would fit.

Drackolus
2016-03-14, 04:57 PM
Kenshin! Honestly just a standard samurai, so battlemaster... lame. Actually, one or more levels of monk would be good, since he doesn't really wear armor. Soldier background, of course. Honestly, best to just homebrew a samurai class at that point. Or a monk monastic tradition. Either way, you'd need a katana that can be two-handed and use dexterity. Same stats as a longsword. Kinda like a quarterstaff Can't call it finesse of course. Same exact treatment as a monk weapon, which is why I bring it up. Actually, that could be a cool monk subclass - can use the katana, can use flurry of blows/martial arts with it as a start.
Sanosuke from the same anime would be a champion/monk, unless there's a pugilist or brawler class. Could say soldier or mercenary background, but they're similar anyway.
Lina Inverse is an evoker. Done and done. I don't see any way to verge from that. I'm not sure what her early past was like, but she's only 15 in the anime, so it's not like she had much time to have a background.

Gastronomie
2016-03-14, 07:26 PM
Sadly I find (http://file.animewallpaper.v-kei.net/tv1291100830.jpg) it very difficult to (http://up.gc-img.net/post_img/2015/04/OpnHysYaOtC4gcS_AWfXU_49.jpeg) convert the (http://bontoku.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/f426806ab1a2a52039d48db91b4dca9f.jpg) characters I like (http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/rekiota0800/imgs/2/6/267434d7.jpg) into D&D (https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/465455975109885954/EvD6lbY3_400x400.jpeg) without it being (http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20131023/08/raibu-live/84/98/j/o0480027012725174332.jpg) overpowered (http://blog-imgs-74.fc2.com/s/o/t/sotohan/sotohan_hellsing_ova8_img091.jpg).

The first two are basically like CR 50 or something, the third one is minionmancy except without a limit on how many times it can cast the summong spell, the fourth one is both hideously broken AND situational, the fifth one is strong enough to destroy a world empire, the sixth one has STR 30 and can use Time Stop almost every turn, and the last one is like...no, just, no, how are you supposed to FIGHT that thing.

Kurapika is probably the easiest of the seven, though, probably like:
Race: Human (Kurta clan)
Class: Paladin LV20 (some sort of weird homebrew, otherwise wouldn't work - the LV 20 ability could be his signature ability "Emperor's Time", which makes all of his stats 20. YAY THAT'S BALANCED!!)

STR 14 (+2) DEX 17 (+3) CON 18 (+4)
INT 18 (+4) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 20 (+5)

With some Legendary magic item that gives him:
-Same abilities as Ring of Regeneration
-Unknown ability (Yet to be revealed in the original manga)
-Hold Person with no saves at all (Only against members of the Phantom Troupe)
-Advantage on all Insight and Perception checks
-One-action Geas spell that doesn't allow saving throws and does the same damage as Power Word Kill (Again, only against members of the Phantom Troupe)

Yeah, that's what happens when anime/manga characters are converted into D&D.

One of the easiest examples I know could be Gasai Yuno from Future Diary, since you could just make her a Berserker or something.

Talamare
2016-03-14, 10:36 PM
the fifth one is strong enough to destroy a world empire

No, he really isn't

The 5th one is by far the weakest and easiest to do in DnD

Matter of fact, here
8/8/10/20Int/8/12

Wizard
Suggestion Spell

Done, That's it

Everything else is because he knew how to use his intelligence, you could be as smart as him RIGHT NOW, and not be able to do 1/100000th of what he did.
(oh and because the storyline was bull and full of plotholes)

Gastronomie
2016-03-15, 02:25 AM
No, he really isn't

The 5th one is by far the weakest and easiest to do in DnD

Matter of fact, here
8/8/10/20Int/8/12

Wizard
Suggestion Spell

Done, That's it

Everything else is because he knew how to use his intelligence, you could be as smart as him RIGHT NOW, and not be able to do 1/100000th of what he did.
(oh and because the storyline was bull and full of plotholes)
More like Mass Suggestion without any saves and with a duration of the targets' whole lives?
Well it certainly is not just his power though, as you say - he had a lot of powerful allies, he was lucky, and while I can't think up many "obvious plotholes" at the moment, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go as it did in the actual scenario of the anime.

But he'd still be a pretty damn boring character to ever "play" in most sessions. Just show off your eye and all the villains are now your pawns.

EDIT: Unlike Code Geass which is set in a semi-real world, in a game like D&D, there's lots of powerful NPCs/monsters. If you could have an army of major villains under your disposal, I'm pretty sure you could try out world domination.

Rhaegar14
2016-03-15, 03:19 AM
Gilgamesh is SORTA (but not really) doable if you're willing to abstract a bunch of his treasures as different spells and basically pretend that Ea, Sword of Disruption is not a thing (because, thankfully, nothing in 5e available as a player option can destroy the entire universe).

Alternatively, you could argue that Gilgamesh himself doesn't have much going on. It's just his access to thousands of artifact-level magic items that's the sticking point.

I mused recently that you could accomplish Archer as an Archfiend Patron Bladelock, refluffing Eldritch Blast to be arrows and using a bow as an arcane focus. A little houserule wiggle-room goes a long way (the DM allowing at least two pact weapons at once, for example), but the basics are all there. Crazy long range shots (Eldritch Spear invocation and Spell Sniper feat), Pact of the Blade for basic projections, spells refluffed as more powerful projections (Fireball for Caladbolg, for example). Hurl Through Hell, especially if the damage type were changed, is also a passable substitute for Unlimited Blade Works (though by no means perfect).

Talamare
2016-03-15, 05:04 AM
Gilgamesh is also possible, mainly because of the Animate Object spell
Literally a Bag of Holding and Animate Objects. Remember the Gilgamesh we see in the Anime is after he has collected his treasures. It doesn't mean he started with them.

Ea can kinda be replicated by saying it always hits things with a Banishing Smite, remember that it isn't strong enough to destroy planets. Just heavily destroy the area around it.
It didn't even technically destroy Alexanders Reality Marble, just more or less killed a lot of people inside it in it until it collapsed on its own. Remember that Alexander had insanely low levels of mana, it was the soldiers inside it that were able to sustain it. Oh, the aoe factor of it... Okay, hits people with Meteor THEN Banishing Smite. Does not hurt the user, but absolutely hurts every ally in the area.

Yea... This weapon will be broken, but... Might be fine for lv20. As in, it will still be 100% broken, but we are all lv20 so who cares!

Talamare
2016-03-15, 05:17 AM
More like Mass Suggestion without any saves and with a duration of the targets' whole lives?
Well it certainly is not just his power though, as you say - he had a lot of powerful allies, he was lucky, and while I can't think up many "obvious plotholes" at the moment, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go as it did in the actual scenario of the anime.

But he'd still be a pretty damn boring character to ever "play" in most sessions. Just show off your eye and all the villains are now your pawns.

EDIT: Unlike Code Geass which is set in a semi-real world, in a game like D&D, there's lots of powerful NPCs/monsters. If you could have an army of major villains under your disposal, I'm pretty sure you could try out world domination.

Princess Euphemenia was able to resist the Geass despite being a normal human being, the fact that it is was even slightly resistable by normal people and the fact there are several people who are 100% immune to it. Means that in a fantastical world like DnD it isn't as powerful as it is in a normal human world.

So I gave an example proving that it absolutely has a save check.

Oh, and it did get more powerful as the series progressed. Your Suggestion spell would slowly increase in power from Suggestion, to Dominate, to the actual Geas spell in game!

Gastronomie
2016-03-15, 06:58 AM
Princess Euphemenia was able to resist the Geass despite being a normal human being, the fact that it is was even slightly resistable by normal people and the fact there are several people who are 100% immune to it. Means that in a fantastical world like DnD it isn't as powerful as it is in a normal human world.

So I gave an example proving that it absolutely has a save check.

Oh, and it did get more powerful as the series progressed. Your Suggestion spell would slowly increase in power from Suggestion, to Dominate, to the actual Geas spell in game!

That makes sense. I get it, and yes, in that case Lelouch would pretty suck. He has actually more like, 6 STR, 7 DEX, and 5 CON or something.

I agree that Gilgamesh himself is not too strong in terms of fighting abilities (I imagine something around 18 STR, 12 DEX, 16 CON, 16 INT, 18 WIS, 30 CHA, 300000000 EGO). He just has every single artifact in the entire game and is attuned to all of them.

EDIT: That idea of re-fluffing Fiend Pact Warlock as Emiya Archer is just damn awesome. And it makes a lot of sense, too.

theMycon
2016-03-15, 04:43 PM
Lina Inverse is an evoker. Done and done. I don't see any way to verge from that. I'm not sure what her early past was like, but she's only 15 in the anime, so it's not like she had much time to have a background.
Please ignore all spelling, as I haven't watched/read anything in a few years.
Her biggest boom is a summoning spell, and her second biggest involves making a sword; which are both more conjuration than anything else.

Beyond that, her title is "the pink sorceress", and she may have a shard of the Lord of Nightmares in her, the way Rezzo et al have shards of Shabrinigdo/Ceiphied in them, which is why Lina's the only one we see calling on LoN for spells, and she seems to do it with some regularity. That would give a divine-ish source for her magical power.

But wizard does fit better, and she went to a wizarding academy, after all. And she does need to do research to make her spells work right.

Drackolus
2016-03-15, 06:10 PM
Please ignore all spelling, as I haven't watched/read anything in a few years.
Her biggest boom is a summoning spell, and her second biggest involves making a sword; which are both more conjuration than anything else.

Beyond that, her title is "the pink sorceress", and she may have a shard of the Lord of Nightmares in her, the way Rezzo et al have shards of Shabrinigdo/Ceiphied in them, which is why Lina's the only one we see calling on LoN for spells, and she seems to do it with some regularity. That would give a divine-ish source for her magical power.

But wizard does fit better, and she went to a wizarding academy, after all. And she does need to do research to make her spells work right.

True, but an evoker can cast gate almost as effectively as a conjurer. And really, adding bells and whistles to the most powerful spell in existence doesn't make a big difference. I mean, sure, a draconic sorcerer can turn a meteor swarm from 40d6 (avg 140) to 40d6+5 (avg 145) - at that point, who cares? It's fricken' meteor swarm.

Still, it does give her a bit of warlock-y ness. But it's not a conscious pact, so I think that's out.

EDIT: Not to mention, I think we're actually talking past a 9th level spell, considering the repercussions and results of using that power.

Ewhit
2016-03-15, 08:58 PM
Ciel phantomhive
Warlock fiend
Char int. main stats

Rfkannen
2016-03-15, 09:30 PM
Okay I know you just wanted the favorite but.... I can't pick.

Ryu Sasakura - lv 1 human bard with the guild merchant backround.

Allen Walker- not sure how you would do all the stuff he eventually learns, but at the start I would list him as a lv 5 vengeance paladin feral tiefling. You get claws, you get the ability to smite, you get the ability to sense demons. You get it all. Entertainer backround.

Kei Nagai- okay lets see his main abilitites are the puppet, the immortallity, and the scream. The scream is covered by berzerker barbarian, the regeration by immortal mystic, and the puppet by ranger. So overall beast master ranger 3/ immortal mystic 2/ berzerker barbarian 15. Probably the tough feet and the rest in con.

Shiro- because Kumo desu ga, nani ka is getting a manga adaption so it counts. Level 20 drow wizard with the folk hero backround. Feats would be tough, mobile, and ... the one with the compass?

Tsukimi Kura****ai - level one rogue with the ... custom neet backround? Maybe the noble backround.

Sailor moon. A level 20 light domain cleric who forgets about her spells half the time.

Haruhi Fujioka. OOh this is a hard one. Maybe a variant human with the inspiring leader feat that has 8 levels of enchantment wizard and has the folk hero backround.

ps. it is censoring one of the characters names for some reason. The main girl from princess jellyfish.

Rhaegar14
2016-03-15, 10:37 PM
EDIT: That idea of re-fluffing Fiend Pact Warlock as Emiya Archer is just damn awesome. And it makes a lot of sense, too.

I'm glad you think so. Archer is probably my favorite Servant from the series, for spoiler-filled reasons.

I identify more strongly with Shiro than probably any protagonist of any anime I've ever watched, and Archer is his older, more badass self.

You could argue for two levels of Fighter to get Two-Weapon Fighting Style and Action Surge (because MORE ARROWS). You could use similar logic for Sorcerer 3 to grab Quicken (EVEN MORE ARROWS) and Distant Spell (that brings the range of Eldritch Blast to 1200 feet). No idea which of the Sorcerer bloodlines is the best fit, as none of them are great. Maybe Storm? You also probably don't want to do both dips, as Foresight is a pretty appropriate spell for Archer to have and you can't get a 9th level Mystic Arcanum with both.