PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A terrible misunderstanding: Worst patrons for paladins.

Xuldarinar
2016-03-11, 10:16 AM
Within the rules, outside of setting specific ones, paladins have no restrictions in terms of which deities or demigods they may serve. Given that not every paladin has a great intelligence score, and Knowledge (religion) sometimes is eschewed, knowing what a deity or demigod really stands for sometimes is beyond the ability of a paladin. Less than benevolent deities may be perceived as otherwise, and while (almost) no evil deity is a perfect fit for a paladin beyond their evil, there are certainly ones that are worse to be confused over than others.

So, be it by the deity's/demigod's nature or by simply the reaction a paladin would have over realizing what their patron really is and stands for; What do you think is the worst, or simply among the worst, deity for a paladin to have? My vote? Folca.

Eldan
2016-03-11, 10:30 AM
Tharizdun? I mean, can't get much worse than the chained Eater of Worlds.

Psyren
2016-03-11, 10:39 AM
Tharizdun? I mean, can't get much worse than the chained Eater of Worlds.

And Rovagug, for basically the same reason.

@OP: Keep in mind that, while a paladin could potentially select an evil deity freely, actually following or worshiping them for any length of time would be very likely untenable.

Florian
2016-03-11, 11:29 AM
Funny thing is, that whole idea meshes well with either Oradins or VMC Oracle build.
That would mesh well with Groetus, Mahathallah or Maghd.

Deities that could be the basis for mistakes on the paladins side could be either Achaekek or Yaezhing, them being in a way concerned with justice and retribution.

Best option would be the fool that falls for Razmir, though, closely following by a Paladin who's into the whole Prophecy of Kallistrade thing.

Malimar
2016-03-11, 02:22 PM
Pelor the Burning Hate.

PallentisLunam
2016-03-11, 09:34 PM
Well if somebody focused more on the ends than the means Hextor is a very lawful god and his church is even described as operating openly in good lands because of how stabilizing its influence is... Now the fact that Heironeous is arguable the most common paladin deity means that it would be very hard for a paladin not to have heard the slanderous and defamatory lies that that church is wont to spread.

Edit: Whoops, somehow missed the pathfinder tag. I'll see myself out. :smallredface: