PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Self-Promoter (Eberron)

enoch
2016-03-11, 11:00 AM
Please don’t cringe too much: I need help building a character that isn’t particularly optimized—but I don’t want to completely sacrifice utility on the altar of character concept.

The campaign is set in Eberron, and the character is essentially a self-promoter seeking fame and fortune. He’s Human, but claims to be descended from House Thuranni (which they generally ignore, and scoff at otherwise). Mechanically, my goal is primarily to qualify for the Thunder Guide PrC, and the primary obstacle is BAB +5. I want the character to at least start as a bard for flavor reasons.

Bard, of course, doesn’t have full BAB, starting at +0 and losing another point every other level starting at 5th, which suggests 4th as a reasonable place to bail (though I’m open to other suggestions), leaving +2 BAB to be picked up elsewhere. Warblade seems like a good choice for those last two. Does that make sense?

Obviously, Cha and Con are priorities. Probably Dex as well—I’m wondering if Weapon Finesse is worth picking up and not making Str a huge priority to cut down on MAD.

Bonus points if you can work in EWP so I can pick up some elven weapon (“of course I use an elven thinblade. I’m a scion of House Thuranni, you know.”).

ATHATH
2016-03-11, 11:07 AM
Would the Charlatan prestige class fit with your character concept? It gets an ability that allows it to shift the opinion of an entire city about something/someone.

enoch
2016-03-11, 11:35 AM
I've never even heard of that, but it sounds very much in line with the concept. What's that from?

Cerefel
2016-03-11, 11:42 AM
You could use Snowflake Wardance to get CHA to hit, and it works with a lot of weapons the elves tend to use like rapiers and longswords.

ATHATH
2016-03-11, 12:08 PM
I've never even heard of that, but it sounds very much in line with the concept. What's that from?
Dragon #355, page 62.

WeaselGuy
2016-03-11, 12:16 PM
Maybe take a look at these submissions from Iron Chef LXV (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?394981-Iron-Chef-Optimisation-Challenge-in-the-Playground-LXV/page5)?

enoch
2016-03-11, 06:02 PM
You could use Snowflake Wardance to get CHA to hit, and it works with a lot of weapons the elves tend to use like rapiers and longswords.

The only problem with Snowflake Wardance is that it requires Perform (Dance) 6. I wasn't really planning on taking dance as an option in Perform--but I suppose I could work that in.