PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Actions to cast a spell from a scroll

Demonic Spoon
2016-03-11, 12:11 PM
Continuing this discussion from the RAW Q&A (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428744-Simple-RAW-Thread-II/page29)thread to avoid a long back and forth in that thread. The issue is whether or not casting a spell from a spell scroll takes 1 action, regardless of the listed casting time of the spell.

For reference, here (http://5thsrd.org/gamemaster_rules/magic_items/spell_scroll/#spell-scroll)is the SRD entry on spell scrolls

I realize that is how you interpret those rules, I am saying I disagree with your interpretation. Using a scroll takes an action, as does using a wand, or using a staff, or Casting a Spell. But the scroll or wand does cast the spell for you (most don't) you are still casting the spell, and must still follow all of the rules for casting a spell. For instance, you can't use misty step and then use a non-cantrip spell scroll. When you cast a 1 minute spell, it takes one minute to cast it. It does not matter if you are casting it from a prepared list, or if you are casting it from a wand, or if you are casting it from a scroll.

Specific beats general. The general rule of spellcasting is that a spell requires you take the Cast a Spell action for each action that the spell's casting time requires. However, this can be overridden by various other features, like Quicken Spell. This is one of the cases.

The rules for spell scrolls state:

you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell

There is no room for interpretation here - you spend the action and two things happen. You read the scroll, and you cast the spell. If what you are saying is true, then it would have said in addition "If the spell has a casting time of greater than one action, you must spend your action on each subsequent turn until the casting time has been met."

If what you say is true, then you would need 2 actions to cast a 1-action spell, because that interpretation requires that the "cast a spell" action be performed separately from the action used to read the scroll. That's obviously not the case, and there's nothing in the rules that suggests that long-casting-time spells are exempt from the specific rule that casting a spell from a scroll takes 1 action.