PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Uldra

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 01:23 PM
Information taken from d&d 3.5 Frostburn and translated for 5e use.

EDIT: Please comment, rate and advise as you see fit. Innate spellcasting added and nature proficiency removed.

ASI: +2 Con, +1 Wis

Size: Small (25 ft. movement speed)

Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Cold Resistance: You take half damage to cold attacks.

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Lang: common, sylvan

Innate Spellcasting: You know the Ray of Frost cantrip, at 3rd level you can cast Absorb Elements as a 1st level once per short/long rest without material components, at 5th level you can cast Snilloc's Snowball Swarm as a level 2 spell once per short/long rest. You spellcasting ability for these spells is your constitution

Frosty Touch: unarmed strikes deal 1 cold damage in addition to 1 bludgeoning damage.

Oramac
2016-03-11, 01:52 PM
Seems all right to me. Kinda like a cross between an Elf and a Halfling.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 01:54 PM
This is underpowered at the moment. None of its abilities are that great, and the cold resistance USP (which you should rename, because it doesn't actually give you resistance to cold damage) is very situational.

ASI 3
Small -1
Fey Ancestry 0.5
Cold Resistance 0.5
Darkvision 0.5
Skill 0.5
Language 0.25
Frosty Touch 0.5 (it's less damage than a d4 natural weapon, but I'm assuming it stacks with martial arts, making it sort of worth having).

Total: 4.75, with no 'big ticket' feature to make people say "I want to play this because of X". It's underpowered.

Oramac
2016-03-11, 02:03 PM
ASI 3
Small -1
Fey Ancestry 0.5
Cold Resistance 0.5
Darkvision 0.5
Skill 0.5
Language 0.25
Frosty Touch 0.5

I see the reason for using them, but where are these point values coming from, if I may ask?

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 02:22 PM
This is underpowered at the moment. None of its abilities are that great, and the cold resistance USP (which you should rename, because it doesn't actually give you resistance to cold damage) is very situational.

ASI 3
Small -1
Fey Ancestry 0.5
Cold Resistance 0.5
Darkvision 0.5
Skill 0.5
Language 0.25
Frosty Touch 0.5 (it's less damage than a d4 natural weapon, but I'm assuming it stacks with martial arts, making it sort of worth having).

Total: 4.75, with no 'big ticket' feature to make people say "I want to play this because of X". It's underpowered.

The original lore on them stated that the damage also extended to melee weapon attacks as well but only 1 point damage, I thought about making it a 1d4 to unarmed strike but I thought that would make them too OP, also from lore they had 120 ft. of darkvison, would that make them more desirable since they have no sunlight sensitivity?

EDIT: Changed the resistance to actual resistance, I must not have been thinking correctly when I typed it up.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 02:23 PM
I see the reason for using them, but where are these point values coming from, if I may ask?

They were developed by a guy named Musicus. I think you can download a guide to them on his site (http://zappyman2.wix.com/musicushomebrew). It's more of a rough estimate than precise measurement, but I find it a good starting point. Especially when someone posts something that racks up 12 or 13 points (which does happen :smalleek:).

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 02:43 PM
And to think I'm also building Cryonax as well, homebrew with balance is difficult:smalleek:....but ultimately rewarding.:smallsmile:

Oramac
2016-03-11, 03:22 PM
They were developed by a guy named Musicus. I think you can download a guide to them on his site (http://zappyman2.wix.com/musicushomebrew). It's more of a rough estimate than precise measurement, but I find it a good starting point. Especially when someone posts something that racks up 12 or 13 points (which does happen :smalleek:).

I thought that might be it, but wanted to ask. You're the only person here on GITPG that I've seen use that system.

And to think I'm also building Cryonax as well, homebrew with balance is difficult:smalleek:....but ultimately rewarding.:smallsmile:

Agreed! I'm just getting started myself, but really enjoying it.

[shameless request for feedback on my Lycan and Death Knight (in my sig)!]

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 03:41 PM
I thought that might be it, but wanted to ask. You're the only person here on GITPG that I've seen use that system.

There are other disciples of the One True System... I learned it from Eleazzaar, but I have definitely seen other people using it.

Oramac
2016-03-11, 03:45 PM
There are other disciples of the One True System... I learned it from Eleazzaar, but I have definitely seen other people using it.

Well, consider me a disciple. haha! I actually used that system for the Lycan in my sig. IIRC it's around 7.5 points.

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 03:51 PM
Ninja_Prawn so what about my ways to increase the Rating stated in an above comment?

EDIT: Also where would I look to figure out how to make legendary actions, I need to make two more for Cryonax but don't have the faintest idea how to do it (the first one was just a reskin of Imix's Heat Wave ei. Cold Front)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 03:57 PM
Ninja_Prawn so what about my ways to increase the Rating stated in an above comment?

EDIT: Also where would I look to figure out how to make legendary actions, I need to make two more for Cryonax but don't have the faintest idea how to do it (the first one was just a reskin of Imix's Heat Wave ei. Cold Front)

Well I don't know the race's fluff... what makes them unique? Why would someone want to play them? The best races start from some seed that makes them special.

There is no guide to legendary actions, and I try to avoid them when I can. The paragon monster (http://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/) system is much better.

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 04:04 PM
Well I don't know the race's fluff... what makes them unique? Why would someone want to play them? The best races start from some seed that makes them special.

They are bi-polar, gnome-like nature freaks (I use the terms with love) that can see far in the dark, are connected to the fey and have elemental adaptations not to mention live in the Frostfell easily, also they are natural linguists.

Oramac
2016-03-11, 04:05 PM

I won't pretend to have experience in this area, but just looking through the MM, it seems most legendary actions are very closely tied to the type of creature using them. Abeloth's can attack and heal; Beholders can eye beam; Demilich's drain energy and curse stuff; Dragons detect and attack.

So something very closely related to the monsters lore would be most fitting, it seems.

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 04:07 PM
So something very closely related to the monsters lore would be most fitting, it seems.

Dually Noted

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-11, 04:43 PM
They are bi-polar, gnome-like nature freaks (I use the terms with love) that can see far in the dark, are connected to the fey and have elemental adaptations not to mention live in the Frostfell easily, also they are natural linguists.

Is there any particular reason for the Nature skill? My first thought is to drop that and put in 1/3/5 casting. Probably Ray of Frost, Absorb Elements, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm. All gnomes are magical, and these are interplanar gnomes! Absorb Elements, in particular, would help them to survive the nasty elemental monsters they live around.

I don't think superior darkvision is warranted here; it's best to reserve that for underdark races.

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 04:50 PM
Is there any particular reason for the Nature skill? My first thought is to drop that and put in 1/3/5 casting. Probably Ray of Frost, Absorb Elements, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm. All gnomes are magical, and these are interplanar gnomes! Absorb Elements, in particular, would help them to survive the nasty elemental monsters they live around.

I don't think superior darkvision is warranted here; it's best to reserve that for underdark races.

It kinda makes sense for the superior darkvision, the climate and weather in Frostfell can be atrocious, but I think your right, an innate spellcasting feature may be just what this race needs to get its true 5e flavoring, the frosty touch is a good enough reference to the older version