PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to anyone else?

Crow_Nightfeath
2016-03-11, 01:57 PM
So whenever my friend DMs, through more or less random chance, we always end up with redonkulous amounts of gold. Like I'm saying we're 4 level 7s and our party's net worth this about 300,000 gold. When our DM rolls loot he always rolls excessively well. So I'm wondering if this sort of thing happens to other groups?

Âmesang
2016-03-11, 05:35 PM
Your referee might be rolling on the wrong loot tables; for example, I do believe the treasure tables in the DUNGEON MASTER'S Guide are separated into three categories—minor, medium, and major—based on the encounter level/challenge rating.

So if you defeat a CR 7 encounter with a "standard" treasure the referee will roll a d% to determine any items obtained: 01-51 is nothing, 52-97 is 1d3 minor, and 98-100 is 1 medium; the referee shouldn't be rolling on any major item tables.

(Those rolls are then further divided up by rolling on a specific armor and shields/weapons/potions/rings/rods/scrolls/staffs/wands/wondrous items table.)

Admittedly I once forwent rolling and because a particular encounter was CR 10—the minimum for providing "major item" loot—I just gave the party a long scroll containing six uses of true resurrection. We were playing out of an adventure book and the particular chapter wasn't difficult… just boring. Very, very boring. That was essentially an attempt at compensation for it. :smallannoyed:

denthor
2016-03-11, 09:26 PM
Yes that is excessive but hey turn it into something else my favorite thing to do with copper is find a copper smith and make pots pans kettles for the local church orphanage what ever it burns down the copper weight the coins and makes my g a G (good)

zergling.exe
2016-03-11, 09:29 PM
Maybe they use weighted dice to give you more loot than you should be getting.

vasilidor
2016-03-12, 02:17 AM
meh, Just for funsies, I gave the party access to an alter that was 4ft*3ft*9ft of solid gold. yes i am aware of the sort of campaign death that can lead to, but they had no access to a magical market, and lacked the creativity to try and hire there own army(as proved by there actions). have i had anything like this happen by pure chance? no.

LTwerewolf
2016-03-12, 02:46 AM
I keep my parties poor as hell, so when they do get magic stuff they appreciate it. They never have spare change.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-12, 04:19 AM
Last session, my party of four (who were then 6th level) managed to kill a purple worm. Two of them got eaten, but they survived and cut their way out, then stuck some grenades in the hole. A critical hit by the warlock (empowered by the bard), and the thing's down. I meant to scare them back into a ruined keep, but they beat the thing fair and square. In return, I rolled randomly to determine the value of its poison (for funzies, I know there's a listed value), which they extracted. I rolled really, really well and they each ended up with 12500gp worth of poison. They haven't done anything with it yet, but I imagine they'll come up with something insane. Two of them spent most of their wealth last level on taming a bulette and building it a cannon-equipped howdah.

Âmesang
2016-03-12, 12:48 PM
That makes me want to find out why that purple worm had such a fine grade of poison. Perhaps it was specially bred by some mad mage, opening up a new plot avenue. :smallsmile:

I was also just thinking that it couldn't hurt to try and have the party spend the bulk of their new loot on a mansion/keep/castle of their own to serve as a base; let them build it up, but being immobile it's not something that could be carried around like most magic items… and if there's a dwarf in the party (or presumably someone trained in Use Magic Device) he could make use of the magic forges from Races of Stone.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-12, 05:24 PM
I was also just thinking that it couldn't hurt to try and have the party spend the bulk of their new loot on a mansion/keep/castle of their own to serve as a base; let them build it up, but being immobile it's not something that could be carried around like most magic items… and if there's a dwarf in the party (or presumably someone trained in Use Magic Device) he could make use of the magic forges from Races of Stone.

That's genius! IIRC the OP said they had something like 300,000 gp - just have some shady guy give them an "investment" opportunity in some prime real estate, like some old castle or whatnot. Throw in the catch that it's currently inhabited by a tribe of orcs or something level appropriate and you have a pretty neat adventure that contains:
-A fun, imaginative way for them to spend their wealth
-A mini-adventure with expelling the castle's current inhabitants
-Oodles of customization for the more creative players with the castle's set up
-A base of operations that's straight up awesome

Duke_Daisuke
2016-03-13, 02:13 AM
Man I wish we had that problem in my campaigns my GM keeps us hungry for gold and refuses to let us fight anything that isn't at least 3 CR above us. (To be fair we do keep actively picking fights with big nasties)

atemu1234
2016-03-13, 03:39 AM
Yes, allowing players to build a fortress is a great way for them to burn their excess gold, and throwing some vassals their way is a decent way to introduce NPCs.

TheNivMizzet
2016-03-13, 03:54 AM
I've seen wealth scale out of control twice. Once was due to poor use of a homebrew artifact, something we lovingly called the RNG stick. When you touched an item with it (Unlimited uses per day), roll a d100. 50 is average, the closer to 100 and you get greater benefits, closer to 1 and it gets worse. We touched a pair of giant stone doors, rolled 96 and they turned to platinum. Went home with 2 million each. With money comes greater power, then you can fight things above CR, and you get more money, we used the staff all the time for kicks and thouroughly enjoyed all of it.
The second time is coming up soon, where the GM has given our level 10 characters 300,000gp to begin play with. Not sure what the other party members are spending it on, but that sort of fortune could mean he expects a certain level of protective items, or immunity to some effects and any player without them gets completely destroyed but without a build up we have no idea what we will need.

Inevitability
2016-03-13, 05:32 AM
Man I wish we had that problem in my campaigns my GM keeps us hungry for gold and refuses to let us fight anything that isn't at least 3 CR above us. (To be fair we do keep actively picking fights with big nasties)

I'm somewhat confused. What does your DM do if you don't actively try to pick a fight with an, I quote, 'big nasty'? Does he just say you can't do that or something?

Bullet06320
2016-03-13, 06:39 AM
That's genius! IIRC the OP said they had something like 300,000 gp - just have some shady guy give them an "investment" opportunity in some prime real estate, like some old castle or whatnot. Throw in the catch that it's currently inhabited by a tribe of orcs or something level appropriate and you have a pretty neat adventure that contains:
-A fun, imaginative way for them to spend their wealth
-A mini-adventure with expelling the castle's current inhabitants
-Oodles of customization for the more creative players with the castle's set up
-A base of operations that's straight up awesome

Dungeon 79 has an adventure Keep for Sale, its geared for low level 1-3, but could easily be scaled up, its 2nd edition, not too hard to convert either.
Dwarvin scam artist has a deed to a castle, sells maps to it, then welches on the deed if they want to buy, and of course there are current inhabitants and it needs some repair, and its haunted sort of by a dead bard.

Duke_Daisuke
2016-03-13, 10:24 AM
I'm somewhat confused. What does your DM do if you don't actively try to pick a fight with an, I quote, 'big nasty'? Does he just say you can't do that or something?

Nah, it's mostly that appropriate CR only works well for dungeon crawls. In game our characters don't normally get into fight more than once a day so we can just burn through class abilities/spell willy-nilly. So basically to compensate you have increase the CR to make the once a day or less fighting challenging.

erok0809
2016-03-13, 01:37 PM
My games tend to be high-wealth games at times, because I'm a fan of making NPCs with class levels for enemies. The thing is, I don't understand why my level 7 wizard NPC should have less wealth than the PC level 7 wizard; they've done the exact same amount of adventuring, after all. It just doesn't make enough sense from an in-universe perspective to me, so I don't use the NPC Wealth Table. When I use NPCs with class levels, they're basically PCs, with PC WBL. This gets ridiculous very quickly though, so I don't do it often, and try to balance it with enemies that give no treasure so I don't destroy the WBL guidelines.