PDA

View Full Version : Ranged bladelock

wunderkid
2016-03-11, 02:38 PM
I noticed in a previous thread regarding bladelocks that the general consensus was that if you used pack of the blade on a magical weapon you no longer got the opportunity to change its form.

The reasons for this were the structure of how the ability is written.

This same structure however would allow you to find and pact a magical ranged weapon.

So my question is how best can you optimize this?

My first thought was bladelock 11/fig 2 for archery style and take crossbow expert feat.

The rest im unsure about.

Any thoughts?

FatherLiir
2016-03-11, 05:06 PM
The problem with this is twofold.

First the pact of the blade only allows you to bring forth melee weapons, and I believe there was either a sage's advice or the errata that said that also includes any magic weapons found.

Second, is that unless your lucky enough to find an Oathbow or some +3 Magic Bow of Donkey Punching, Eldritch Blast is going to always be superior, especially with Crossbow Expert allowing you to use it within 5ft and not roll with disadvantage.

If your problem is you want to still be a warlock, don't be afraid to reflavor the Eldritch Blast spell as a kind of Spectral Bow you summon for an instant instead. I'm currently using it as summoning an aspect of my patron (A Great Old One) to strike at my enemy rather than a simple Harry Dresden Forzare spell (not that there's anything wrong with that).

If your problem is you want to be a magic archer, there is a guide on EnWorld about being a Bow based Eldritch Knight. I can't get to it as I'm on Mobile right now, but I think you should take a look at it before trying to make this work.

EDIT: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469118-GUIDE-Bow-Bond-An-Eldritch-Knight%92s-guide-to-Archery&p=6707748#post6707748

There is the link to the guide I was talking about

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 05:13 PM
The problem with this is twofold.

First the pact of the blade only allows you to bring forth melee weapons, and I believe there was either a sage's advice or the errata that said that also includes any magic weapons found.

Second, is that unless your lucky enough to find an Oathbow or some +3 Magic Bow of Donkey Punching, Eldritch Blast is going to always be superior, especially with Crossbow Expert allowing you to use it within 5ft and not roll with disadvantage.

If your problem is you want to still be a warlock, don't be afraid to reflavor the Eldritch Blast spell as a kind of Spectral Bow you summon for an instant instead. I'm currently using it as summoning an aspect of my patron (A Great Old One) to strike at my enemy rather than a simple Harry Dresden Forzare spell (not that there's anything wrong with that).

If your problem is you want to be a magic archer, there is a guide on EnWorld about being a Bow based Eldritch Knight. I can't get to it as I'm on Mobile right now, but I think you should take a look at it before trying to make this work.

EDIT: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469118-GUIDE-Bow-Bond-An-Eldritch-Knight%92s-guide-to-Archery&p=6707748#post6707748

There is the link to the guide I was talking about

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/26/ranged-pact-weapon/

Jeremy Crawford clarified that the RAI is that magic ranged weapons should not be available. By his use of the word "intended", it does seem to work by RAW.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-11, 05:48 PM

I've done that mentally a lot. Like with the Eldritch Spear upgrade, I imagine the warlock forming a spear-shaped form of purple-ish energy before chucking it like a proper javelin tosser.

Talamare
2016-03-11, 06:51 PM
Very easy to be a Ranged Warlock

Just use Eldritch Blast

Toadkiller
2016-03-12, 11:31 AM
Very easy to be a Ranged Warlock

Just use Eldritch Blast

And, as suggested above, revise its flavor as desired.