View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ice Golem

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 02:40 PM
ICE GOLEM
Large, Construct
Armor Class: 22
Hit Dice: 126 (12d10+60)
Speed: 30 ft.
STR: 25 (+7) DEX: 10 (+0) CON: 20 (+5) INT: 3 (-4) WIS: 11 (+0) CHA: 1 (-5)

Damage Vulnerabilities: fire
Damage Immunities: poison, psychic, cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons that aren't adamantine
Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses: darkvision 120ft., passive Perception 10
Languages: understands the languages of its creator but can't speak
Challenge Rating: 11

Cold Absorption: Whenever the golem is subjected to cold damage, it takes no damage and instead regains a number of hit points equal to the cold damage dealt.
Immutable Form: The golem is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Magic Resistance: The golem has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Magic Weapons: The golem's weapon attacks are magical.
Cold Aura: Any creature that begins its turn within 20 feet of the golem takes 6 (2d6) points of cold damage.
ACTIONS
Multiattack: The golem makes two slam attacks.

Slam: Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d8 + 7) bludgeoning damage plus 3 (1d6) cold damage.

Ice Shards: As an action, an ice golem can generate a spray of deadly ice shards from its body,all creatures within 10 feet make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw taking dealing 6 (2d6) points of piercing damage and 3 (1d6) points of cold damage on a failure, or half as much on a success. In addition, living creatures must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.

Thoughts and comments?

MoleMage
2016-03-11, 02:55 PM
Aren't the bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing from non-magical non-adamantine weapons usually a resistance, not an immunity for golems?

Your heal on cold damage references lightning damage.

I think Ice Shards and the normal attacks look good.

Formatting is a little hard to read. If you edit it with Bold or using Header tags you can make sections more clearly separated.

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 03:06 PM
Aren't the bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing from non-magical non-adamantine weapons usually a resistance, not an immunity for golems?.

Nope the book states immunity.

Your heal on cold damage references lightning damage..

Yup it sure does (Most because it is, well along with acid absorption, and fire absorption). All but one golem has an absorption ability, besides, it's from lore that it has this ability.

Formatting is a little hard to read. If you edit it with Bold or using Header tags you can make sections more clearly separated.

I usually do that but today I've been busy, busy making more and more translations, reskins, and full on building from ancient burial ground materials.

Oramac
2016-03-11, 03:27 PM
Cold Aura: Any creature that begins its turn within 20 feet of the golem takes 6 (2d6) points of cold damage.

Ice Shards: As an action, an ice golem can generate a spray of deadly ice shards from its body, dealing 6 (2d6) points of piercing damage and 3 (1d6) points of cold damage to all creatures within 10 feet. In addition, living creatures must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.

I would say both of these should allow a save for half damage instead of just straight up dealing damage with no chance to avoid it.

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 03:33 PM
I would say both of these should allow a save for half damage instead of just straight up dealing damage with no chance to avoid it.

I had that at first but was told to take it away and add damage to make the CR the way I wanted.

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 03:39 PM
And now that I think about it I have to think up of the Golem Manuel version for it as well :smalleek: How could I have forgotten!?

Ninja_Prawn
I had that at first but was told to take it away and add damage to make the CR the way I wanted.

(That was me).

Damage auras typically don't offer a save, but the attack should. I didn't notice that it was auto-hit before... probably because of the save vs. blindness. Definitely add in a Dex save for half damage.

Leewei
For no particular reason:

o/` Do you want to kill a snowman? o/`

RavenJovan
2016-03-11, 03:45 PM
add in a Dex save for half damage.

KK two saves for one attack coming right up :smallsmile:

PotatoGolem
2016-03-14, 09:11 AM
As currently written, the absorption only works if you're hit by cold and lightning simultaneously. The trigger is taking cold damage, but you heal equal to the lighting damage dealt. AFAIK, nothing in the game does those two simultaneously, so it's just immune to cold

RavenJovan
2016-03-14, 01:46 PM
As currently written, the absorption only works if you're hit by cold and lightning simultaneously. The trigger is taking cold damage, but you heal equal to the lighting damage dealt. AFAIK, nothing in the game does those two simultaneously, so it's just immune to cold

-_- you could have just said I had a typo... :roach:

PotatoGolem
2016-03-14, 08:19 PM
Sorry! From your reply earlier I thought you wanted it to do something with lightning as well. Something like for x rounds after taking cold damage, absorption from lightning. Makes some sense- from my limited understanding, cold improves conductivity.