PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ranged Spell Attack

Jrandom
2016-03-11, 03:46 PM
What are the various ways to improve your chance to hit with a ranged spell attack? I know that shooting a prone target is a bad idea. Spell Sniper is obviously good.

Casters seem to be envious of the Ranged Fighting Style.

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 04:09 PM
Wand of the War Mage and Rod of the Pact Keeper. I will post more if I find them.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-11, 04:57 PM
Cast true strike the round before.

DeAnno
2016-03-12, 02:27 PM
Close Quarters Shooter Fighter feature, from UA.

Jrandom
2016-03-14, 12:02 PM
I knew it was bad, but how come people aren't talking about this more? The casters in the party are missing all the time (in our game). Our elven wizard has decided to pick up a bow (but I think that is more for damage reasons, he has 18 Dex).

coredump
2016-03-14, 12:12 PM
IME, DMs tend to forget or ignore cover granted by intervening creatures. They may remember if hiding behind a wall or wagon, but not if a teammate is in front of them. (I know I am guilty of this, despite saying I will do it...)

I think this tends to be forgotten even more often for magic spells than for ranged attacks.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-14, 12:22 PM
One of the things about being a spell caster is knowing when to use spells that rely on an attack roll and spells that rely on a save. If attack rolls are missing, perhaps they should consider stocking up on some save spells instead.

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-14, 01:44 PM
One of the things about being a spell caster is knowing when to use spells that rely on an attack roll and spells that rely on a save. If attack rolls are missing, perhaps they should consider stocking up on some save spells instead.
One of the things I tripped over when playing a Cleric was that most of the spells with an attack roll are cantrips. (Granted, Guided Bolt isn't, Inflict wounds, some others). There are few spells with no save ... so getting spells without attack rolls, but with saves, means that a 1d20 is rolled and the spell either has no effect, or has partial effect.
Sort of like swinging and missing with a cantrip or a weapon.

For the OP: faerie Fire cast on a group of critters gives all attacks against them advantage.

EvilAnagram
2016-03-14, 01:56 PM
Be a Wild Sorcerer and constantly bend luck in your favor, DM permitting.

JumboWheat01
2016-03-14, 01:59 PM
One of the things I tripped over when playing a Cleric was that most of the spells with an attack roll are cantrips. (Granted, Guided Bolt isn't, Inflict wounds, some others). There are few spells with no save ... so getting spells without attack rolls, but with saves, means that a 1d20 is rolled and the spell either has no effect, or has partial effect.
Sort of like swinging and missing with a cantrip or a weapon.

For the OP: faerie Fire cast on a group of critters gives all attacks against them advantage.

True, everything has a chance of failure. Sometimes the dice gods are just unfair. Especially in this case where it seems only the casters are missing, while the martials seem to be hitting just fine.

RulesJD
2016-03-14, 02:04 PM
Bless from Cleric

Find Familiar to generate Advantage.

The general problem is that blasting in this version sucks for damage, largely due to the lack of -5/+10 and mostly because JC's idiotic interpretation of +mod to spells.