PDA

View Full Version : Hand Crossbow as a Pact Weapon

Spectre9000
2016-03-11, 03:56 PM
Being that you Pact Weapon is comprised of Eldritch Energy, would it not be reasonable to believe the weapon could auto load itself, as a crossbow bolt could be possibly considered part of the weapon?

Toadkiller
2016-03-11, 04:03 PM
I would allow one to use the weapon as a way of "firing" eldrich blast cantrips. But not give a bonus beyond what the cantrip provides already.

Silavor
2016-03-11, 04:05 PM
"Pact of the Blade
You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it."

I don't think, by RAW, you can make your pact weapon into a crossbow. It specifies melee weapon only.

Inevitability
2016-03-11, 04:09 PM
"Pact of the Blade
You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it."

I don't think, by RAW, you can make your pact weapon into a crossbow. It specifies melee weapon only.

Just get your DM to accept hand crossbows as improvised melee weapons. :smalltongue:

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 04:23 PM
https://hoveysmith.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/c2-21-levin-crossbow-pistol-with-blade.jpg

Does this work?

wunderkid
2016-03-11, 04:52 PM
I've just made a thread along a similar train of thought, pact of the blade allows you to create a 'melle' weapon when created.

But if you bind a magical ranged weapon this is in theory possible.

Belac93
2016-03-11, 07:10 PM
Well, one UA gave an invocation that let you have a gun that automatically loaded and never ran out of ammo, I don't see why you couldn't do the same for normal ranged weapons.

8wGremlin
2016-03-11, 07:48 PM
If you find a magical hand crossbow, you can make that your pact weapon.
(or make the improvised melee weapon, a hand crossbow)

You can take Crossbow Expert, and have the 'pactbow' in your off hand.
As a bonus action you can fire this pactbow, as per the normal rules of the feat, and no disadvantage if with in 5' of a hostile creature (NB: you are competing with HEX's bonus action)

You can take sharpshooter to get the -5/+10 damage, no disadvantage at long range and ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.

You can take the Invocation thirsting blade to get 2 attacks @5th level

You can also take Lifedrinker @12th to get + CHA mod necro damage as well.

(is it worth it?, i'm not sure)

@5th level with +3 dex as a Vhuman
you'd go

1st round:
Bonus action Hex,
Action:
Attack 2 shots at +6 doing 1d6+3 damage (7.5 damage each) + Hex (3.5)
or
Attack 2 shots at +1 doing 1d6+3 damage (17.5 damage each) + Hex (3.5)

2nd round:
Action:
Attack 2 shots at +6 doing 1d6+3 damage (7.5 damage each) + Hex (3.5)
or
Attack 2 shots at +1 doing 1d6+3 damage (17.5 damage each) + Hex (3.5)
Bonus Action:
either move HEX or shoot another time:

Attack 1 shots at +6 doing 1d6+3 damage (7.5 damage each) + Hex (3.5)
or
Attack 1 shots at +1 doing 1d6+3 damage (17.5 damage each) + Hex (3.5)