PDA

View Full Version : Help with Fighter/Warlock build

Bacax
2016-03-11, 10:01 PM
So, I have played 5th ed a bit, and I like Warlocks a lot. So far, I have only played an Eldritch Blast Warlock, as everything else just seems to pale in comparison.

This campaign though, I want to try something different and going more melee. I have seen a bit about the polearm master/war caster route, and though it seems a bit cheap, it also looks kind of fun. We are starting at level 1, so I have some time to think about it, but my concern is how precisely I want to go with this.

I feel like I have two options - Mainly Fighter, or mainly Warlock.
If I go fighter, with two levels of warlock, I will have two invocations - repelling and agonizing blast.
I would pick Eldritch knight as my fighter archetype - weapon bond would basically replace blade pact, and War Magic would mean that I would get to hit once with my weapon when I cast my eldritch blast. That seems pretty nice.
Fighter main would give me one extra feat/ability improvement, more HP, and more spells (though they would be cast at a lower level). I would get an extra attack, but if I went more warlock, thirsting blade would do the same anyway.

Going mainly Warlock would give me more invocations (like lifedrinker), Dark One's Luck, which is nice, and higher level spells, though less of them.

This is such a tough choice.

Spectre9000
2016-03-11, 10:20 PM
So, I have played 5th ed a bit, and I like Warlocks a lot. So far, I have only played an Eldritch Blast Warlock, as everything else just seems to pale in comparison.

This campaign though, I want to try something different and going more melee. I have seen a bit about the polearm master/war caster route, and though it seems a bit cheap, it also looks kind of fun. We are starting at level 1, so I have some time to think about it, but my concern is how precisely I want to go with this.

I feel like I have two options - Mainly Fighter, or mainly Warlock.
If I go fighter, with two levels of warlock, I will have two invocations - repelling and agonizing blast.
I would pick Eldritch knight as my fighter archetype - weapon bond would basically replace blade pact, and War Magic would mean that I would get to hit once with my weapon when I cast my eldritch blast. That seems pretty nice.
Fighter main would give me one extra feat/ability improvement, more HP, and more spells (though they would be cast at a lower level). I would get an extra attack, but if I went more warlock, thirsting blade would do the same anyway.

Going mainly Warlock would give me more invocations (like lifedrinker), Dark One's Luck, which is nice, and higher level spells, though less of them.

This is such a tough choice.

You really only need 1 level of fighter, then you can go 12 levels of Warlock. Afterwards, you can get 2 more levels of Fighter (or 4 if you really need the ASI) and pick up Champion for more crits, or Battlemaster for more reach shenanigans (for PAM). Going Bladelock, you're gonna certainly want Lifedrinker, as that really defines Bladelock and you don't wanna delay progression towards it too much.

Fighter 1/Bladelock 19 is a perfectly viable build, however, whichever direction you want to go.

bid
2016-03-11, 11:29 PM
EK 7 for 2nd spells / tomelock 3 for rituals is a good basis. Bladelock is a waste if you get extra attack from fighter.

Some interpret PAM OA as needing a polearm attack, check with your DM if that is true for your campaign. You can always use BB with the polearm if you need.

Bacax
2016-03-11, 11:54 PM
EK 7 for 2nd spells / tomelock 3 for rituals is a good basis. Bladelock is a waste if you get extra attack from fighter.

Some interpret PAM OA as needing a polearm attack, check with your DM if that is true for your campaign. You can always use BB with the polearm if you need.

So, I know what PAM and OA are... what is BB? Back Bacon?

RickAllison
2016-03-11, 11:55 PM

Booming Blade. SCAG cantrip that deals damage if the target moves after being struck and also deals additional damage on the initial strike at higher levels.

bid
2016-03-12, 12:20 AM
To detail what RickAllison said, it's a cantrip that's delivered through a melee weapon attack. It does cantrip damage on top of weapon damage (minus the first 1d8) and does a second shot of cantrip damage if the target moves. The only problem is you need spell sniper to use it at reach.

Gtdead
2016-03-12, 12:33 AM
I think warlock is a very mechanically sound class. It is very versatile so it can support pretty much every playstyle, and personally I just don't see how more martial class levels are worth the spell progression tradeoff.

1 level of fighter is more than enough to cover the melee weakness. It offers con saves, heavy armor prof, a fighting style. Eventually going 3 lvl for champion with a class that is so good at gaining advantage is also a good idea, but I'd only consider that for campaigns that will reach lvl 20. Personally I think that getting foresight at 18 is better than any other bonus he gets from multiclassing in such a campaign.

Bacax
2016-03-12, 12:56 AM
I am leaning more towards going fighter with a 2 level dip into warlock... maybe a couple more levels much later. I am still undecided though.
One other thing I was wondering about is if the PAM 1d4 attack can crit? It doesnt say anything about it in the book.

RickAllison
2016-03-12, 12:59 AM
I am leaning more towards going fighter with a 2 level dip into warlock... maybe a couple more levels much later. I am still undecided though.
One other thing I was wondering about is if the PAM 1d4 attack can crit? It doesnt say anything about it in the book.

It absolutely can crit. I'm not sure how much it will help since it just raises the damage by 1d4, but it definitely crits. Heck, you can crit with a cannon if you roll well!

djreynolds
2016-03-12, 03:58 AM
3 levels of EK will net you heavy armor, con saves, and access to some spells you may not have. The shield spell is really good and is a reaction. Dump dexterity and go chainmail for now and grab war caster. Now you can fight in melee with EB, and spam the shield spell when needed. Chainmail and shield, war caster is needed, will give you an 18 AC, grab defense style for +1 AC, 19AC plus the shield spell for +5, 24AC. Not much will hit you.

Spectre9000
2016-03-12, 08:22 AM
3 levels of EK will net you heavy armor, con saves, and access to some spells you may not have. The shield spell is really good and is a reaction. Dump dexterity and go chainmail for now and grab war caster. Now you can fight in melee with EB, and spam the shield spell when needed. Chainmail and shield, war caster is needed, will give you an 18 AC, grab defense style for +1 AC, 19AC plus the shield spell for +5, 24AC. Not much will hit you.

Except you don't have the spell slots to spam Shield.

djreynolds
2016-03-12, 08:54 AM
Except you don't have the spell slots to spam Shield.

Oh heck, you are right, he could use twice a long rest.... maybe.

Then just take 6 levels of paladin and some sorcerer.

Spectre9000
2016-03-12, 09:29 AM
Oh heck, you are right, he could use twice a long rest.... maybe.

Then just take 6 levels of paladin and some sorcerer.

I'm actually a fan of Vengeance Paladin 12/Tomelock 8 for Divine Smites on Short rest, Armor of Agathys, Fire Shield, Dark One's Own Luck, a Familiar, and other perks.

ZenBear
2016-03-12, 09:49 AM
Fighter 1/Bladelock 19 is solid. If you can stomach the loss of an ASI and delaying Lifedrinker, Fighter 2 for Action Surge is always useful.

It has been officially ruled that PAM OA must use the polearm for the attack, so no Repelling Blast shenanigans. It's not worth it anyway. Your gimmick will get old fast, and make you a target for the DM who can find plenty of ways around your one-trick pony.

bid
2016-03-12, 01:56 PM
All attack rolls can crit (p194). This includes EB.

Socratov
2016-03-12, 04:26 PM
I personally would go for more warlock then fighter. I think that at lvl 2 the fighter has given its best ability: action surge. You alse get Second Wind, which is fine as a warlock since you don't get really great HD. Also, you get to wear heavy armour. Huge benefit. Then go pact blade warlock and form there you can have a great many options: go dualwielding by investing a feat and your fightingstyle, go PAM+GWM and the heavy weapon style, get lots of ultility going for you while your fighter action surge base and pact weapon invocations will seve you in battle.

I'd say it's a fantastic and flavourful idea...

djreynolds
2016-03-13, 01:47 AM
I personally would go for more warlock then fighter. I think that at lvl 2 the fighter has given its best ability: action surge. You alse get Second Wind, which is fine as a warlock since you don't get really great HD. Also, you get to wear heavy armour. Huge benefit. Then go pact blade warlock and form there you can have a great many options: go dualwielding by investing a feat and your fightingstyle, go PAM+GWM and the heavy weapon style, get lots of ultility going for you while your fighter action surge base and pact weapon invocations will seve you in battle.

I'd say it's a fantastic and flavourful idea...

I think your correct with the fighter. He just has to go the strength route. Heavy armor will give him good AC. Hex is nice for duel wielders, and he can fight with two weapons. He's gonna need a 15 for heavy armor anyhow, so no reason to take dex above 10, aside from initiative. And he may not need war caster since he has con saves, and can use maybe booming blade/pole arm for AoO.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 04:12 PM
Ek can gfb with their pact weapon and attack again. Make it radiant warlock from the underdark UA and they can add cha to gfb (fire) and cha again with lifedrinker. And hey, multiattack from fighter saves you an invocation. Take dueling and the free mage armor to be an awesome dex fighter warlock. 20 ac at 20 dex. Two attacks for a gfb giving (1d8+dex+2 base)+(3d8+cha fire)+(cha necrotic) and 3d8+cha+cha to secondary target, and then (1d8+dex+2 base)+(cha necrotic). At level 19. Still, the progression is alright.

EDIT: forgot dueling damage.
EDIT 2: and second gfb target.

Bacax
2016-03-20, 05:52 PM
So, I am most likely going to end up mostly fighter, since we have another warlock in the party. One thing I am wondering about is the polearm master bonus attack. With great weapon fighting, can you reroll 1's and 2's with the bonus attack damage?

Ewhit
2016-03-20, 10:37 PM
I think if you go warlock you will always go eblast but with pact sword u can go fully different with melee compared to tome chain. I think it's worth a try now do you go strength or Dex fines fitness furs better but if you want to enjoy making any weapon pop out you go strength. I don't think u should mc if you go pact as u need Lvl 12 to get that Cha bonus to weapon personally I don't see 1-2 lvls in warlock as being good unless you really want an invocation for some reason