PDA

View Full Version : When is Squidi Coming Back?

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-05-30, 10:20 PM
Sean Howard said A Modest Destiny was returning a while back, but I have yet to see anything new. ???Does anyone know what's going on?

DarkCloud
2006-05-30, 10:36 PM
Probably family issues with his new baby and all.

I definitely am looking forward to seeing his plotline resolved. I LOVE A Modest Destiny!

2006-05-30, 10:38 PM
Probably family issues with his new baby and all.

I definitely am looking forward to seeing his plotline resolved. I LOVE A Modest Destiny!

As do I. One thing I don't get, though. After Maxim Saves the World George and Snot never appear again? What happened to them? ???

Alchemistmerlin
2006-05-30, 10:39 PM
It's not coming back.

Like most comic artists who say they're "Coming back" he lied to you. Suprise! It's RPGWorld all over agaaaaaaaaaain!

BelkarsDagger
2006-05-30, 11:24 PM
Squidi's funny. But I do have to admit the first series was by far the best, the others were too gorey.

I've checked back over the last few weeks and no new comics. What time does he USUALLY update them/did he usually update them?

2006-05-31, 01:51 PM
Squidi's funny. But I do have to admit the first series was by far the best, the others were too gorey.

I've checked back over the last few weeks and no new comics. What time does he USUALLY update them/did he usually update them?

Back before they got discontinued he updated every weekday.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-07-29, 04:42 AM
It's been some time since he updated it, but if you jump onto Squidi.net now, it appears that he working thru getting it going again. Thank Bahamut that it is going to be completed!!!

As far as George and Snot, I can't recall seeing them in the War of Fate. The last I remember seeing george was here: http://www.squidi.net/comic/amd/view.php?id=278 Which had me laughing for at least a half hour. We do the same crap in our DnD game all the time.

2006-07-29, 09:29 AM
Yay! New AMD er... Tales of the Squidiverse! It's better than nothing and gives me good hope that new AMD is right around the corner. And Marcus Snot and George's absence is just a big plot hole and it makes me mad.

EDIT: I wrote Marcus instead of Snot... he is a good faker...

squidi
2006-07-31, 02:02 AM
Yay! New AMD er... Tales of the Squidiverse! It's better than nothing and gives me good hope that new AMD is right around the corner. And Marcus Snot and George's absence is just a big plot hole and it makes me mad.

EDIT: I wrote Marcus instead of Snot... he is a good faker...
George wasn't a main character and I never really had any intention of him coming back. At one point, I toyed with the idea of him being a werewolf, but decided that if I was going to do a major character thing like that, I'd create a new character which wasn't just a color swapped version of another (two others, actually).

Snot, however, should've been in AMDW. It's just that there were a few dozen plot threads and characters that I needed to juggle, and I just couldn't find a place where Snot would've worked. BUT, there will be a small coda at the end of AMDP which explains what happened to all the characters, and you'll find out what happens to Snot then. I'll give you a hint: He lives happily ever after :)

larnman2
2006-07-31, 09:56 AM
Sean? If that is you, and not some stupid kid, umm, well, well dang! I have nothing I can say to frickin Sean Howard!

[edit] O.K., are there any webcomic artists that you want me to take down. You see, you can make a come back, but this time, since you're already have a reputation, We can make notorious.
Hey, did you hear what happened? *****, from @@@@@-@@@@@@.com dissed Sean Howard, and now his artist is missing a friggin arm! He's a badass!

Dragonmuncher
2006-07-31, 10:15 AM
Man, I wish I had people willing to hurt others on my whim...

Squidi's a name I've heard every once in a while since I started reading webcomics a few years ago. Don't really know much about him... although didn't he leave because he was sick of Drama, or somesuch? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

How's his stuff? Any good?

larnman2
2006-07-31, 10:31 AM
One of the first good sprite comics, I have ever read, except he created the sprites. While it did have it's own touch of cerebus syndrome, it was done in the best way I have seen so far. I am still unclear as to what all went down. But I can tell you that people were stealing artwork, Squidi might have badmouthed a very high webcomic hero, and rumors spread.
I'll cover them each.
1 As far as I can tell, artwork was being stolen left and right. And then, I think Squidi might have gotten a little antst(correct me if I am wrong) and possibly pointed out one or two webcomics that weren't. This led to disbelief of Squidi, that he was just a crazy artist.

2 I heard that he might have said something bad about Tycho. Then everyone who read that and liked Penny-arcade was like "Durrr, j00 can't talk bad about Tycho, he is infallible! 00 R teh suxx0r, Penny-arcade rox!" and there was a large slide in readers.
Because, as anyone knows, webcomics are not a community, they are several highschool cliches.

squidi
2006-07-31, 12:19 PM
One of the first good sprite comics, I have ever read, except he created the sprites. While it did have it's own touch of cerebus syndrome, it was done in the best way I have seen so far. I am still unclear as to what all went down. But I can tell you that people were stealing artwork, Squidi might have badmouthed a very high webcomic hero, and rumors spread.
I'll cover them each.
1 As far as I can tell, artwork was being stolen left and right. And then, I think Squidi might have gotten a little antst(correct me if I am wrong) and possibly pointed out one or two webcomics that weren't. This led to disbelief of Squidi, that he was just a crazy artist.

2 I heard that he might have said something bad about Tycho. Then everyone who read that and liked Penny-arcade was like "Durrr, j00 can't talk bad about Tycho, he is infallible! 00 R teh suxx0r, Penny-arcade rox!" and there was a large slide in readers.
Because, as anyone knows, webcomics are not a community, they are several highschool cliches.

First of all, sharing information when you are unclear on what happened is exactly how so many incorrect and damaging rumors gets started. Please have some consideration for those who may be affected by such things and defer explanation to a more reliable source.

Second, that's all behind me now. Since I'm going to start AMD up again, at least long enough to finish the story, I'd rather this particular baggage didn't follow me back. If anybody asks about it, just say it's ancient history.

Oh, and Dragonmuncher... My stuff is damn good.

larnman2
2006-07-31, 01:25 PM
That's cool, and I hope you continue after you finish AMD, because I really enjoy a good sprite comic

Saithis Bladewing
2006-07-31, 01:36 PM

Damn straight.

Jerthanis
2006-07-31, 01:43 PM
Aw darn, I was going to post a really sarcastic "He's not really coming back" and "AMD3 had vicious pacing and plothole issues*" post, but if the real Squidi is reading this it would seem like a direct insult, which wouldn't be how I mean it. Good luck Squidi, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

*Okay, I can't resist, The scientist guy was able to make a functioning mecha within a day, but to make it combat viable would take him 10 more years? The humans were being killed left and right and were driven back into a peninsula where the last bastion survived, and yet two female characters who had been with the army for the entire five years of lapse time, together are able to doublehandedly (since they were working together it's not singlehandedly) take on an entire army of vampires and not only succeed, but succeed while killing dozens of them at once. What stopped them from being so effective BEFORE the spotlight was on them? Also I'd love to read a spin-off series which is actually about Maxim! Him and that one thief guy who's name I don't recall right now are my favorite characters and both of them have had very limited appearance in the previous two chapters of AMD.

Dragonmuncher
2006-07-31, 06:21 PM

Hm... well, you would know, of course.

Dammit! Another webcomic whose archives I have to go through now... my backlog's piling up as it is.

EDIT- So, I see that there are three seperate comics- should they be read in any particular order, or are they just three unrelated comic series?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-07-31, 06:31 PM
EDIT- So, I see that there are three seperate comics- should they be read in any particular order, or are they just three unrelated comic series?

Err, I'm not sure what you mean. There's A Starship Destiny, Tales From The Squidi Universe and the one everyone should be going for: A Modest Destiny. These three are mostly unrelated, though Tales from The Squidi Universe might be considered to have mild spoilers from either one.

Personally, I'd read through all the three series of A Modest Destiny (from top to bottom) then move on to the other two comics.

squidi
2006-07-31, 08:55 PM
*Okay, I can't resist, The scientist guy was able to make a functioning mecha within a day, but to make it combat viable would take him 10 more years?
That's a fair complaint, however, humor was the main motivation for that particular plot device. I kind of saw it as he'd been working on the mecha for a while (perhaps even before the war started five years earlier) and had just recently gotten it functional - but only functional enough to be a proof of concept. Actual mass production and refinement, as any creator is viciously aware, takes twice the time and effort as the rest.

The humans were being killed left and right and were driven back into a peninsula where the last bastion survived, and yet two female characters who had been with the army for the entire five years of lapse time, together are able to doublehandedly (since they were working together it's not singlehandedly) take on an entire army of vampires and not only succeed, but succeed while killing dozens of them at once. What stopped them from being so effective BEFORE the spotlight was on them?
Another fair comment. However, I think you could safely attribute the fact that there are ANY survivors at all against such overwhelming odds could be because of those two. But it's pretty much just those two. The rest of the characters aren't really expert fighters (except Gustav, who is petrified of the undead, and Mina, who is a great fighter in training), and the non-character guards are pretty much zombie food no matter how you look at it. Two characters could defend a small outpost single handedly, but probably not fight successfully against a complex network of enemies using subterfuge, superior technology, and the slight advantage of not overwhelming numbers.

Also I'd love to read a spin-off series which is actually about Maxim! Him and that one thief guy who's name I don't recall right now are my favorite characters and both of them have had very limited appearance in the previous two chapters of AMD.
If you are thinking of Hubert the thief, he was in both of the last two series and will be featured pretty heavily alongside Hechter in the new one. Maxim will also be the focus of the new series, in one form or another.

Dragonmuncher, both AMD and TSD are completely separate storylines. The Tales series is really just a gag series using characters and stuff from the other series. It's non-canonical (meaning the jokes and stories aren't "real"), but you'll want to read the other stuff first. Just start with the first comic in AMD and hit 'next' until you can't hit 'next' no more.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-08-10, 01:44 AM
Squidi; I have to say; it is AWESOME that you are brining back Squidi.net and restarting AMD. Your wonderful comic has brought me and several friends hours upon hours of unaldulterated enjoyment. Thank you for bestoing this gift back to all that encompasses humanity. =)

Also, will you be selling t-shirts again? I would like to get my girlfriend a Vampire-Ruby version of "I hurt people that mock me". That would be awesome.

2006-08-10, 01:51 PM
Sean... effing... Howard... replied... to... MY... thread... DAOOADSI... okay... calming down now... fanboy... glands... working overtime.

Ahem, Hey Sean. As a long-time fan of AMD I started this thread, but largely began to ignore it once I was sure AMD was coming back and not suffering from the dreaded RPGWorld Syndrome. I took a random peek just now and wel.... note by above rabid fanboydom. The reason I always kinda considered George to be (semi)-important was that he was the one that taught Maxim to use the Shadow Magic, which later defeated Gilbert (or did it? ;D). The fact that he was never seen again bothered me a bit, but it's your thing and as an aspiring author I understand the need to remove things that would get in the way of the plotline one has in mind. The one thing I can't wait to see, however is if Maxim and Jenny's kid has blue eyes or not. Also, when are your forums coming back? I was never a part of them back before the extended hiatus mainly cuz I wasn't into the whole forum thing back then, but I'd like to be a part of it now.

Oh, and a shirt that says "YOU MADE GOD CALL ME A DUMB ASS!" would pwn madly, but unfortunately people w/ no sense of humor would get mad. I'm a devout Christian and I wasn't offended in the least, but I know some people who would be. But seriously, that's what I love about your stuff. It's so quotable. I've used alot of AMD quotes in my sig in the past, including "Tell Maxim and I kill you in your sleep... twice...". Love that. I've quoted that to people who knew nothing about AMD or webcomics at all and they burst into laughter.

ElfLad
2006-08-10, 02:24 PM
Oh, and a shirt that says "YOU MADE GOD CALL ME A DUMB ASS!" would pwn madly, but unfortunately people w/ no sense of humor would get mad. I'm a devout Christian and I wasn't offended in the least, but I know some people who would be.

Not really so much lack of humor so much as lack of context. I laughed when I saw that in the comic, but if I saw that saying on a shirt with no explanation and not having seen the comic, I would probably take it the wrong way.

2006-08-10, 03:27 PM
Yeah. I guess that'd probably be an issue too. The same with Jenny's "Tell Maxim" thing.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-10, 04:35 PM
Sean... effing... Howard... replied... to... MY... thread... DAOOADSI... okay... calming down now... fanboy... glands... working overtime.

Now now fanboy, SH's just a person like the rest of us. No need to explode your brain over it. ;)

Sir_Greasy
2006-08-10, 05:37 PM
Now now fanboy, SH's just a person like the rest of us. No need to explode your brain over it. ;)

I not 100% sure if it was his brain that exploded. Sean you might want to take a shower. I', just messing with ya'.

I am glad that you started this post because otherwise Sean would have never posted. Which would Make AMD dead to me. Bring it back to life Sean.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-10, 05:54 PM
He'll bring it back to life when he's ready. ;)

2006-08-10, 06:14 PM
I not 100% sure if it was his brain that exploded. Sean you might want to take a shower. I', just messing with ya'.

Ewww... that's wrong.

I know. I'm just psyched he actually responded to a lowly thread that started with two proufoundly confused sentences on a forum that's not even on his site!