PDA

View Full Version : Ooze PC, where an ooze has taken over a humanoid body?

RoSothian
2016-03-12, 12:54 AM
There is nothing in the books that can help me with this, so it's going to have to be a lot of homebrew. What I'm basing this on is the "Ooze Mini-campaign" from the game "Wesnoth", where you play as an ooze before taking over an elf body and saving a town. This kind of ooze was made in a laboratory, and the wizard put a bit of soul into his creation. It's still hungry and amorphous, but it can see and has a consciousness. It turns things to ooze as it dissolves them, creating a bunch of miniature oozes that are all linked to the original in a large hivemind thing. After devouring an elf's spirit, which was inside a tree, it gained her memories and decided to take control of her body to escape persecution from the Solids. It did this by compressing itself then "slithering" into her mouth, yummy. The elf lost most of her power from the destruction of the tree, but the ooze still had access to the basics from the power in her blood. It didn't have access to anything ooze-related unless it spat some ooze out of its mouth, either into water to infect others or as an ooze minion to attack.

So how in the hell do I go about making this?

2016-03-12, 01:20 AM
I play Wesnoth too, although I haven't personally played that particular campaign yet. From what it's sounding like, you want to play something that:
Is an ooze creature of some sort
Can create other oozes from nowhere that are under its control
Can possess people and use their powers

I'm not sure how to actually play an ooze, although I'm certain both that there is a way to do it and that there's likely already threads dedicated to determining such methods. The other two points, though, I have an idea for: the kind of build that could pull it off involves (Some Manifestor) X/Psion Uncarnate 10/Thrallherd Y, with some kind of ooze creature as the base race that's somehow cheated its way into an Int score. Mechanically speaking, you're essentially untouchable and undetectable when you want to be (due to Psion Uncarnate) and you can use the Thrallherd ability "Thrallherd" to take control of certain characters (or random oozes that you "generate") and put their class abilities to good use, completely under your command.

Inevitability
2016-03-12, 03:01 AM
You can give any creature the vermin type by having it take ten levels in Fang of Lolth. This makes it possible for a Skitterhaunt to take over the creature, and it presumably loses its class levels when that happens (mindless creatures can't have class levels). All you have to do then is Awaken the ooze, and you have an intelligent, humanoid creature with an ooze riding around inside of it.

As for using ooze to attack and possess others, skitterhaunts get an acid attack. Maybe refluff some enchantment spells with regards to possessing others?

ATHATH
2016-03-12, 02:51 PM
Thrall of Jubilex+Fiend of Possession+Amorphous Outsider, perhaps?

Venger
2016-03-12, 04:14 PM
I play Wesnoth too, although I haven't personally played that particular campaign yet. From what it's sounding like, you want to play something that:
Is an ooze creature of some sort
Can create other oozes from nowhere that are under its control
Can possess people and use their powers

I'm not sure how to actually play an ooze, although I'm certain both that there is a way to do it and that there's likely already threads dedicated to determining such methods. The other two points, though, I have an idea for: the kind of build that could pull it off involves (Some Manifestor) X/Psion Uncarnate 10/Thrallherd Y, with some kind of ooze creature as the base race that's somehow cheated its way into an Int score. Mechanically speaking, you're essentially untouchable and undetectable when you want to be (due to Psion Uncarnate) and you can use the Thrallherd ability "Thrallherd" to take control of certain characters (or random oozes that you "generate") and put their class abilities to good use, completely under your command.

Playing an ooze isn't too difficult. Just roll a skitterhaunt sentry ooze hairy spider.

Thrall of Jubilex+Fiend of Possession+Amorphous Outsider, perhaps?

That'd work if the ooze type wasn't central, just looking/behaving like an ooze.

Oozemaster and FoP would also work if your game was pretty low op. though you still need the [evil] subtype somehow. most people use kaorti (those rhd hurt though) though if your dm allows the ritual from savage species, neraph will work.

DrMotives
2016-03-12, 04:29 PM
There's also the Ghaunadan from "Monsters of the Faurun". Thematically it's what you're looking for, although at ECL +11 it's got some mechanical problems. It's an aberration, not an ooze by type, that looks like an ooze with the ability to assume a single unique humanoid shape, otherwise the natural ooze form can slither under doors, through keyholes etc given enough time.

MisterKaws
2016-03-12, 04:48 PM
Axiomatic Half-Dragon Half-Fiend Living Silent Image+Ghost Sound: In short, a creature with better shapeshifting than a doppelganger, while being a 9 Int Outsider(Good, Law, Augmented Ooze, Not native, 'cause Axiomatic).

Edit: Or Fiendish Half-Dragon Half-fiend(yeah, 150% fiend, welcome to D&D), twice the evil with -2 on the LA.

Thurbane
2016-03-12, 09:40 PM
Skitterhaunt (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a) template creates an ooze that can infect vermin and take over their bodies. Maybe you could tweak it to work on humanoids?

atemu1234
2016-03-13, 03:47 AM
Skitterhaunt (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a) template creates an ooze that can infect vermin and take over their bodies. Maybe you could tweak it to work on humanoids?

Honestly, homebrew is the best option here, though there are already a couple third-party oozes that could be used here.

ksbsnowowl
2016-03-14, 10:15 PM
Other than you wanting an ooze, Tsochar from Lords of Madness seems to be exactly what you want. They are aberrations that wear the flesh of others. You could give them the Gelatinous Creature template from Savage Species to make them more ooze-like (though their type would remain Aberration).

frogglesmash
2016-03-15, 03:24 AM
MMII has the Reason Stealer which is an ooze that basically drains the sentience of others resulting in it temporarily gaining their memories, abilities and appearance, but the abilities you're looking for are more along the lines of what the Intellect Devourer can do (ExPH) with some added minion mancy.