PDA

View Full Version : If you had to be a DND class IRL, what's it gonna be?

cecil1994
2016-03-12, 10:12 AM
Lame, LAME question, I know. But it's been on my mind for a while 😂

If you, in your life with your (apparent) stats and drives, had to pick a class that suits you most, which one would you pick? And why?

Xuldarinar
2016-03-12, 10:14 AM
Well.. do you mean what would suit us in what we do, to truly be representative of us as individuals (NPC classes for most of us), or do you mean what would suit our interests most?

Strigon
2016-03-12, 10:33 AM
Well.. do you mean what would suit us in what we do, to truly be representative of us as individuals (NPC classes for most of us), or do you mean what would suit our interests most?

He's asking, if you could choose a class, which one would you be?
If you know you're not book smart, and you hate studying, then Wizard would be a bad choice. If you aren't strong and can't tolerate pain, fighter's a bad choice.

Personally, I'd go with Wizard - plays to my strengths, and I don't need any strength at all. Heck, I can buff my strength, so I might actually be on par with the average person :smallbiggrin:

Eloel
2016-03-12, 10:43 AM
Definitely Archivist - the real book smarts class.

Inevitability
2016-03-12, 10:44 AM
Wizard. Probably a conjurer dabbling in divination.

Xuldarinar
2016-03-12, 11:10 AM
That being the case, then... Personally I'd go Dread Necromancer or Binder.

Droopy McCool
2016-03-12, 12:13 PM
Paladin. Definitely choosing Paladin.

McCool

Âmesang
2016-03-12, 12:24 PM
While I prefer the spontaneous casting of a sorcerer, I'm not very charismatic at all so I'd have to go with wizard; I don't see myself as being religious enough for archivist, aside from having a fascination with the history behind various religions. Then again Wisdom is more certainly my dump stat.

(Though there are times I admire my ranger's strength, agility, toughness, and survival skills.)

cecil1994
2016-03-12, 12:40 PM
Personally, I'd go with Psion.

The lack of hand-waving and archaic chanting involved in my magic makes it so I can actually cast it in public places- and Minor Creation, Psionic can produce basically anything organic I need.

Comet
2016-03-12, 12:49 PM
Cleric all the way. I'm not super religious, but if a god came to me and demonstrated the ability to give me cure light wounds and purify food and anything else I wanted I would be all over that.

Ruethgar
2016-03-12, 01:25 PM
Most accurately overall would be a level 1 Expert with the Murky Eyed and Non-Combatant flaws(if limited to 2, Curious, Unreactive, and Inattentive if more. Bonus feats with those would likely be skill foci Masseuse, Math, and Games). Would have the Education, Open Minded, and Skill Focus(Autohypnosis) feats. The last one I am unsure, Hidden Talent(Empathy) wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Stats are probably fairly average. If we use the rough 10 IQ to 1 Int scale its my best stat at about 14.
Str 8
Dex 10
Con 11
Int 14
Wis 9
Cha 12
Skills:

Knowledge

Games: 4 ranks
Math: 3 ranks
Law: 1 rank
Local: 1 rank
History: 1 rank
Electronics: 3 ranks
Autohypnosis: 4 ranks
Lucid Dreaming: 1 rank
Concentration: 4 ranks
Climb: 4 ranks
Swim: 2 ranks
Move Silently: 4 ranks
Handle Animal: 1 rank
Listen: 2 ranks
Profession(Digital Design): 2 ranks
Profession(Masseuse): 4 ranks

I would be perfectly fine with the above if the Lucid Dreaming rules translated over. As far as PC classes, a Wizard probably. But considering that pretty much everyone here has poured over many a tome in search of knowledge to advance their own power, one could hardly be surprised if the vast majority of Giants were Wizards or Archivists.

2016-03-12, 01:27 PM
Wizard. Sprinkle some Bard on there for a nice little Sublime Chord/Ultimate Magus build.

Vogie
2016-03-12, 01:39 PM
The main difference between the RP and IRL worlds is in IRL the utility stuff matters significantly more than the ability to do damage.

I would love Love LOVE to be a Druid, but if I was being realistic I'd've grown up as a Bard.

JNAProductions
2016-03-12, 01:43 PM
Why not Monk? Nets you a lot of nifty goodies that, in real life, would be nice to have.

cecil1994
2016-03-12, 01:47 PM
Why not Monk? Nets you a lot of nifty goodies that, in real life, would be nice to have.

Like... what? We probably aren't level 5, let alone level 20. You'd have slow fall, I guess?

Eloel
2016-03-12, 02:42 PM
While I prefer the spontaneous casting of a sorcerer, I'm not very charismatic at all so I'd have to go with wizard; I don't see myself as being religious enough for archivist, aside from having a fascination with the history behind various religions. Then again Wisdom is more certainly my dump stat.

(Though there are times I admire my ranger's strength, agility, toughness, and survival skills.)

Wait, archivist are supposed to be religious? I thought they simply studied the divine till they literally brain'd magic out of it.

Concrete
2016-03-12, 02:46 PM
I'd probably be a pretty poor bard. I have little to no charisma, but dammit, I'm a storyteller and a poet, and I'll be one 'til I die!

I'm also an insufferable besserwisser, with approximate knowledge of many things.

137beth
2016-03-12, 03:00 PM
I'd probably be an Expert. I can't do any of those fancy schmancy Bard or Rogue things.

zylodrizzt
2016-03-12, 03:51 PM
Factotum. Fake it til I make it. Might prestige chameleon cause u give me some time I can hold my own in any situation. Real world application I think this makes everything obtainable with a little effort. I don't like things being too easy like your reality shattering magics. Also who can truly say that thier life is as one deminsional that they can say they can say they are a barbarian cause they get mad or a bard since they like art or cleric cause they follow God or a wizard cause the stuff they do with a computer is like magic.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-03-12, 03:59 PM
Probably a psionic class, flavoured appropriately to the idea that structured thought is made possible/greatly enhanced (hard to say which) by language. I like StP erudites, but psion will do just fine.

RedMage125
2016-03-12, 04:01 PM
As far as playing to my strengths? I'd go for Wizard or perhaps Psion. I've got more intellect than charisma, although given my willpower and dedication to my own personal ethical code and devotion to causes higher than myself, I might make a fair Cleric.

That said, I think if D&D classes were real, then Bards would have the most fun in life. They're literally rock stars. Sorcerer's got Charisma in spades as well, but Bards have class abilities that pretty much equate to "everyone thinks you're awesome". Imagine using Bardic Music in a packed concert hall...

Jon_Dahl
2016-03-12, 04:10 PM
Commoner. Sure, my life would suck, but it would be simple and you guys had to defend me whenever I ask you nicely. Like all you paladins and other good guys.

Hiro
2016-03-12, 04:10 PM
Kineticist. Id love to unlock the power of my mind to manipulate the physical world :3

ATHATH
2016-03-12, 04:16 PM
If no one else is going to become a D&D class, I think I'd go with an Artificer, so that I can make magitech stuff (and get access to as many spells as possible).

Krazzman
2016-03-12, 04:35 PM
I would like to be a Warlock/Cleric/Eldritch Disciple. But Warlock would be already OK or good enough for me.

Reason being:
Warlock: I am not morally opposed to pacts that benefit me greatly (especially when being done by my ancestors)
Cleric: I don't follow any major Religion (despite having had a Communion [catholic faith] and being married in a protestantic church by a protestantic pastor) since I really believe in Luck or pure Chance as a "godlike" entity. Probably cloistered though since I am currently studying instead of working since I wasn't really happy with my job and wanted that to change... I miss the pay though.
Eldritch Disciple would combine both.

Droopy McCool
2016-03-12, 04:38 PM
Commoner. Sure, my life would suck, but it would be simple and you guys had to defend me whenever I ask you nicely. Like all you paladins and other good guys.

Happy to. :smallsmile:

McCool

Reprimand
2016-03-12, 04:56 PM
Definitely Miniatures Handbook Healer with Profession: (Social Worker). I enjoy helping people but wouldn't be bound to a deity or cause like a cleric/druid etc except being required to be a good person.

I'm a pacifist anyway so not hurting people for me is a breeze.

I also like to think I have a decent wisdom and charisma mod.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-03-12, 05:13 PM
Sha'ir or StP Erudite. I love broadbase classes with tons of options. Erudite appeals to my intellectual side, a lot of natural learning yielding tremendous power. Sha'ir on the other hand also learns spells more readily that a sorcerer or wizard and asking for my spells from other planes really appeals to my social side.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-03-12, 05:32 PM
My initial answer would be warlock (my favorite class by far), but if it's going to reflect my actual abilities/interest I would probably actually be an archivist. I'm currently studying history, and I'm fairly religious so it's a pretty decent fit. I would have nothing against throwing in a little warlock/eldritch theurge on the side though :smallamused:

Pluto!
2016-03-12, 05:34 PM
Binder obviously.

Because I speak in tongues and have teeth growing out of all my skin.

Aegis013
2016-03-12, 05:53 PM
I don't trust any of the classes that would require attributes to function well. So we're probably left with Binder, Warlock or Dragonfire Adept. I might also consider Incarnate, since I think Con is likely my highest stat.

Seto
2016-03-12, 06:11 PM
Probably either a bland Bard, a doubting Cleric or a lazy Wizard (for PHB classes). I'd have to think harder about the rest.

The Great Wyrm
2016-03-12, 06:31 PM
IRL, Int is my highest stat, Cha is my lowest, and all my other stats are around average.

I'd probably go with Factotum, Artificer, Wizard, or Psion. I like making stuff, so Artificer is particularly appealing.

Blackhawk748
2016-03-12, 08:50 PM
Id go with Bard, do a bit of freaking everything, Skills, Magic, decent Saves, Combat, and all sorts of other fun stuff with ACFs on top of this i only need to get my Cha to 16, and if the multitude of tests i've taken online are anything to go by im a 12 or 13 already, so ill be ok as i level.

Thurbane
2016-03-12, 09:09 PM
Probably Sorcerer.

I know Wizard has more utility, but being able to cast spells without needing a spellbook or study appeals to me...

Throw Eschew Materials in there, for sure. Maybe Silent and Still Spell.

digiman619
2016-03-12, 09:23 PM
Factotum with a decent splash of Sorcerer. I know tons of stuff, but I'm not too scholarly.

GreyBlack
2016-03-12, 10:45 PM
So there's a major argument to be made that I am a cleric IRL: I'm an EMT going to medical school with a masters in Emergency Management. However, as you'll see by my stat compliment, I'm not exactly equipped for Cleric per se because of DnD stats inaccurately portraying real life as far as the mental stats are concerned, and not realizing how much raw intellect is necessary to treat patients. As such, I'm gonna have to go with being an Ex-Monk 1/Archivist 3.

ETA: Ex-Monk because I started my career as an MMA fighter.

Quertus
2016-03-12, 11:37 PM
Most people who know me would probably guess wizard, but I think I'd make a worse wizard than most playgrounders. And probably forget where I left my spellbook. Maybe... crusader / cleric / devoted defender? Or maybe just expert / devoted defender. Or even artificer / devoted defender.

karinrin55
2016-03-13, 12:18 AM
Anything that uses either Charisma, Intelligence or Wisdom (if exists even all three combined).
I was thinking Bard, Sorcerer, Druid, Knight or Rough. Though my parents would probably push me to be a Wizard.
But I would always dream about improving my STR and becoming a more suitable Knight or even a Fighter so I could go on adventures and come back home and tell everyone about it. :smalltongue:

atemu1234
2016-03-13, 03:25 AM
StP Erudite, though possibly Artificer.

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-13, 05:12 AM
Hmm... I think that with my stats I could manage a half decent mystic ranger.

Tiri
2016-03-13, 05:32 AM
I'm not a very physical person, so the more fighting-oriented classes are out. Rogue is good for skills, but a little boring compared to spellcasters. I think my mental scores are probably below or at average except for Int, which I would say is about 12 or 13, so probably wizard. Getting higher than 5th level is unlikely, so 13 is a pretty safe number (and I can always increase it every four levels). Although warlock might also be good, since most spell durations will be short at low levels.

Gracht Grabmaw
2016-03-13, 06:39 AM
Going with sorcerer, because hey, free magic. No hard work involved, no cheques that my ass can't cash, I'm just naturally better than you.

Duke_Daisuke
2016-03-13, 10:40 AM
If I got to choose I'd say Paladin. The whole protecting the weak, destroying evil (not people who disagree with me, I'm no Miko) kinda appeals, and I'm fairly religious so that fits too. Barring that I'd go with fighter, I'm pretty strong, decently coordinated, so I'd probably just grab a great-sword and go to town. (Still with the protecting the weak and destroying evil motif)

Incanur
2016-03-13, 10:49 AM
I'd be a wizard or psion. My abilities scores seem average or below apart from Int, so it's got to be SAD.

Silva Stormrage
2016-03-13, 02:24 PM
Engineer with high int and semi decent charisma? Artificer seems like a good choice for me :smalltongue:

That or maybe Psion/Erudite.

RedMage125
2016-03-13, 04:10 PM
If I got to choose I'd say Paladin. The whole protecting the weak, destroying evil (not people who disagree with me, I'm no Miko) kinda appeals, and I'm fairly religious so that fits too. Barring that I'd go with fighter, I'm pretty strong, decently coordinated, so I'd probably just grab a great-sword and go to town. (Still with the protecting the weak and destroying evil motif)

Minor point of order, but despite the fairly common conception of them, paladins are not necessarily religious. Check your 3.5e PHB. For a paladin, "devotion to righteousness is enough". A lot of people think of paladins as champions of deities, but that is simply not the case in RAW.

It is in FR, but everyone, even druids, fighters, and rogues need to have a patron deity in that setting.

Inevitability
2016-03-13, 04:13 PM
It is in FR, but everyone, even druids, fighters, and rogues need to have a patron deity in that setting.

Nonmagical classes at the very least don't. The WotF is there for a reason.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-13, 04:25 PM
Wizard, Archivist, or Wu-Jen.

I'm a very studious and scrupulous person by nature and not terribly inclined toward physicality. I also have some small taste for personal, rather than political, power. Heck, my wife has commented in the past that I'm the very picture of a wizard when I'm poring over my D&D books trying to put together an interesting character; surrounded by open tomes and tuning out the world while I do my "research."

Jormengand
2016-03-13, 04:29 PM
Wizard. I have enough INT to pull it off, and enough optimisation knowledge (and memory of XP tables) to be able to gain omnipotence fairly quickly.

Droopy McCool
2016-03-13, 04:40 PM
Minor point of order, but despite the fairly common conception of them, paladins are not necessarily religious. Check your 3.5e PHB. For a paladin, "devotion to righteousness is enough". A lot of people think of paladins as champions of deities, but that is simply not the case in RAW.

Well, while it might be enough, it does say devotion to a particular deity is an explicit option. That is why I picked Paladin, because while Clerics seem more the worshiping type, a couple of the Pal's class features speak to me on a spiritual level.

McCool

Eldest
2016-03-13, 04:50 PM
If I get my choice, Factotum. Be a knowledge bunny and learn everything I can about coding, and then freelance while globetrotting. Assuming the same conditions as the last time this thread popped up and other people started getting the ability and we're all slowly leveling, I'd just keep my head down during the random feuds and conflicts between everyone, and try to be a neutral messenger and occasional favor trader. Keep up nondetection all the time too.

Telonius
2016-03-14, 08:51 AM
Cleric. Remove Blindness/Deafness (or Regeneration, depending on which one the Great DM in the Sky requires for curing a hearing loss due to tinnitis) is super-high on my wish list.

KillingAScarab
2016-03-14, 09:17 AM
So there's a major argument to be made that I am a cleric IRL: I'm an EMT going to medical school with a masters in Emergency Management.Good on you!

However, as you'll see by my stat compliment, I'm not exactly equipped for Cleric per se because of DnD stats inaccurately portraying real life as far as the mental stats are concerned, and not realizing how much raw intellect is necessary to treat patients.As someone who has spent far too much time modelling fictional characters with 3.X rules, I agree that wisdom is a great attribute for empathizing with your patients and perceiving what symptoms they present, but not so much for treating wounds when you don't have superbeings to rely upon granting you power from afar. For the intelligence-inclined, there's moderator Mark Hall's transmutation spells for arcane healing (http://www.mymegaverse.org/nexx/tsr/wizheal.html) if you don't have access to Pathfinder's infernal healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing) or celestial healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/celestial-healing).

ETA: Ex-Monk because I started my career as an MMA fighter.So, that's why you move an extra ten feet in six seconds?

Esprit15
2016-03-14, 02:14 PM
IRL, I would be closest to a Factotum: always have that random bit of knowledge that applies, not a lot of things I'm actually bad at if I put a bit of effort in.

I'd likely want to go Archivist (with Academic Priest). They're pursuers of knowledge, first and foremost from what I can tell, and religious second. Combine that with more of a reverence for the laws of nature than anything truly divine and I'm good!

GreyBlack
2016-03-14, 02:57 PM
Good on you!

As someone who has spent far too much time modelling fictional characters with 3.X rules, I agree that wisdom is a great attribute for empathizing with your patients and perceiving what symptoms they present, but not so much for treating wounds when you don't have superbeings to rely upon granting you power from afar. For the intelligence-inclined, there's moderator Mark Hall's transmutation spells for arcane healing (http://www.mymegaverse.org/nexx/tsr/wizheal.html) if you don't have access to Pathfinder's infernal healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing) or celestial healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/celestial-healing).

So, that's why you move an extra ten feet in six seconds?

Flurry of blows and unarmed strike, along with proficiencies. Grab the Kung Fu genius feat and my int applies instead of wis.

Also, was unaware of infernal/celestial healing. Thanks!

LordOfCain
2016-03-14, 03:03 PM
Wizard. I belive I have a high Intelligence and want ALL THE POWER!!!!!!!!

Bad Wolf
2016-03-14, 03:04 PM
Maybe druid. I think I have a good Wisdom score. Then I'll take Craft Wondrous Item to get a higher score.

Eisfalken
2016-03-14, 10:07 PM
Factotum. It's a combination of needing to learn a little of everything to keep ahead, looking for smarta** solutions to problems, and dabbling in and faking my way in various kind of "power" to get a little of it (healing and SLAs). Just about the story of my life in most places...

8BitNinja
2016-03-14, 10:08 PM
Definitely a Paladin, I would love to be one

Aspiration
2016-03-14, 10:30 PM
I'd be a very unoptimized Paladin with the right stats being kinda decent. Self-righteous and religious combined with SCA swordfighting experience, I think it works not too terribly. And being a better judge of character can never hurt. :D

Gnorman
2016-03-14, 10:57 PM
Psion. The potential of even a low-level Telepath in the real world is... pleasing to me.

yellowrocket
2016-03-15, 12:27 AM
Average to a touch above average strength 11 or 12
Not all that dexterous, but not below average, 10?
Very good constitution 14?
High intelligence 14, or 16
Wisdom, eh we all make mistakes despite knowing better 10
Charisma, that's a tough one, I get my way when I need to, but it isn't overly natural, 8, 10, 12, idk

You tell me what class I'd be, cause I'm still trying to figure it out.
I help deliver food to restaurants and work in the chemical Corp in the guard. Neither of those lead to a d&d class I can identify.

Xar Zarath
2016-03-15, 12:42 AM
Wizard. Doesn't matter if there is book-keeping or such...to be a Wizard means learning secrets and powers of Creation by unlocking them. To be able to gain such power by my own efforts, it would be warm honey for my soul. All the powers at my disposal are the result of my hard work and to be able to create something by my own hands would be so sweet for me.

Magic is something wondrous, powerful and sublime. To be able to explore it, innovate and create of my own volition instead of begging some entity or making deals with things you cannot even fathom smacks too much of rash judgment. Bring on the books, the work and the formulae. At the end of it, what magic I wield and the powers I bring to bear is what I have worked so hard to uncover and master.

Make your faustian pacts and consign your souls to divine taskmasters. I will master Creation and bend it to my will not the other way around. I shall be the master of my own fate and I will walk the ways of Magic as my own man. I am a Wizard, sirs and ladies, and I am a master of the arcane.

Mara
2016-03-15, 01:53 AM
Druid for all the hippie powers.

Dr. Azkur
2016-03-15, 03:03 AM
Rogue with a dip in warlock!

Necromancy
2016-03-15, 09:15 AM
I'm actually watching a new anime that explores this very subject. I'll avoid spoiling anything so go check out Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

As for me being directly translated into a 3.5 class, I'd be a ranger without question. It's kind of ironic to me as I've only actually played a ranger once and I hated it.