PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spear Master fighter subclass. Help please XD

LegioCaelorum
2016-03-12, 10:45 AM
With the help of a great person XD you know who you are i present you the refined 2ed draft of Spear Master. (COUGH.....Final Hyena......COUGH)

Spear Master

Saving Throws. Some of your abilities require your target to make a saving throw to resist the effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:
Save DC = 8 + your proficiency + your Intelligence modifier

Thoughtful Combatant
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level you may use spears as if they had the finesse property.

At 3rd level when wearing no heavy or medium armor wielding a spear in two hands give you a +2 bonus to your ac.

Audacious Assault
Starting at 3rd level the first creature you hit every turn takes additional damage equal to your intelligence modifier, you may also force them to make an intelligence save or be knocked 10 feet away form you.

Battle feint
At 7th level you may use a bonus action to force a creature sized large or smaller within 5 feet to make an intelligence save or be knocked prone. You may use this feature a number of teams equal to your intelligence modifier. All uses of this feature reset on a long rest.

Piercing Strikes
At 10th level every hit against a creature you have already damaged gains an additional d4 of weapon damage.(stacks up to three times)

Second Wind Improvement
At 15th level using second wind restores all uses of your battle feint feature.

The Spear is Quicker than the Eye
At 18th level you may use a reaction in response to being hit to gain a bonus to your AC equal to your intelligence modifier against that attack. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. All uses of this feature reset on a long rest.

I would like to start off by stating that this is my first ever attempt at a homebrew anything. So please be gentle but honest XD.

I was shooting for a better fighter like class to play that exemplifies, or at least trys to, Zhou Yun. Pulling from different sorces I threw together what I believe to be a decent class. But before I bring it to the table I need input from fellow players/DMs. So here we go XD

Spear master fighter subclass

Gain the ability to finesse spears.

While wearing light armor you add your intelligence modifier to your AC.

Battle feint- as a bonus action roll a contest of intelligence. Winner gains intelligence modifier as damage on next successful attack aginst the loser. Usable a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier per short rest.

Lvl 7 Audacious charge- the first successful attack aginst a target adds your intelligence modifier as damage. Also knocks the target back 10ft if they fail an intelligence save by less than 5 or knocks them prone if they fail the save by more than 5.

Lvl 10 Three talon strike- every third successful attack aginst the same target adds a extra damage die of the weapons damage type.

Lvl 15 Second Wind Improvement- Regain all uses of battle feint when using secound wind.

Lvl 18 kill zone- as a action fueled by pure adrenaline you challenge all opponents within 30ft to take there best shot at you. Assuming a defensive stance adding +2 to your AC, all who fail an intelligence save v.s. 8+proficiency+int mod. Must use there turn to attack you with a melee attack. If a challenged opponent misses there attack you immediately unleash two attacks at them with your spear. This ability cannot be used agian untill you finish a long rest.

Final Hyena
2016-03-12, 02:58 PM

Battle feint- as a bonus action roll a contest of intelligence. Winner gains intelligence modifier as damage on next successful attack aginst the loser. Usable a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier per short rest.

Lvl 7 Audacious charge- the first successful attack aginst a target adds your intelligence modifier as damage. Also knocks the target back 10ft if they fail an intelligence save by less than 5 or knocks them prone if they fail the save by more than 5.

Lvl 10 Three talon strike- every third successful attack aginst the same target adds a extra damage die of the weapons damage type.

Lvl 15 Second Wind Improvement- Regain all uses of battle feint when using secound wind.

Lvl 18 kill zone- as a action fueled by pure adrenaline you challenge all opponents within 30ft to take there best shot at you. Assuming a defensive stance adding +2 to your AC, all who fail an intelligence save v.s. 8+proficiency+int mod. Must use there turn to attack you with a melee attack. If a challenged opponent misses there attack you immediately unleash two attacks at them with your spear. This ability cannot be used agian untill you finish a long rest.

Firstly this could use a bit of tidying up, hopefully someone better than me can give it a go.

Spear Master

Saving Throws. Some of your abilities require your target to make a saving throw to resist the effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Thoughtful Combatant
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level you may use spears as if they had the finesse property.

In addition while wearing light armour you may add your intelligence modifier to your AC

Battle feint
At 3rd level you may use a bonus action to force an opponent to roll an opposed intelligence check. The victor gains additional damage equal to their intelligence modifier on their next hit against the loser. This feature may be used a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. You regain all uses of battle feint on a short rest.

Audacious Charge
Starting at 7th level the first creature you hit every turn takes additional damage equal to your intelligence modifier and must make an intelligence save or be knocked 10 feet away form you. If they fail they save by 5 or more they are knocked prone instead.

Three Talon Strike
At 10th level every three hits on a target results in an additional weapon die of damage.

Second Wind Improvement

kill Zone
At 18th level you may use an action to issue a challenge. All opponents within 30 feet must make an intelligence save. You gain +2 AC against those who fail. Those who failed must use their next turn to attack you. If they miss an attack you may make two in return (no action). Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Edit;
After giving it a quick look over I would say it is not balanced, especially Kill zone which needs some limitations put on it.

LegioCaelorum
2016-03-12, 04:07 PM
Firstly this could use a bit of tidying up, hopefully someone better than me can give it a go.

Spear Master

Thoughtful Combatant

In addition while wearing light armour you may add your intelligence modifier to your AC

Battle feint
At 3rd level you may use a bonus action to force an opponent to roll an opposed intelligence check. The victor gains additional damage equal to their intelligence modifier on their next hit against the loser. This feature may be used a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. You regain all uses of battle feint on a short rest.

Audacious Charge
Starting at 7th level the first creature you hit every turn takes additional damage equal to your intelligence modifier and must make an intelligence save or be knocked 10 feet away form you. If they fail they save by 5 or more they are knocked prone instead.

Three Talon Strike
At 10th level every three hits on a target results in an additional weapon die of damage.

Second Wind Improvement

kill Zone
At 18th level you may use an action to issue a challenge. All opponents within 30 feet must make an intelligence save. You gain +2 AC against those who fail. Those who failed must use their next turn to attack you. If they miss an attack you may make two in return (no action). Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Edit;
After giving it a quick look over I would say it is not balanced, especially Kill zone which needs some limitations put on it.

YOU SIR ARE AWESOME. lol
Thank you for the tidying up. It looks a lot better after your edit! Also thank you for your input on the class, any chance you have any idea on how to balance the "kill zone" ability?

Also may I edit the post to reflect your changes if i credit you for the formatting edit?? Just so it looks better for future viewers.

Final Hyena
2016-03-12, 04:24 PM
Spear Master

Thoughtful Combatant

At 3rd level when wearing no heavy or medium armour wielding a spear in two hands give you a +2 bonus to your ac.

Audacious Assault
Starting at 3rd level the first creature you hit every turn takes additional damage equal to your intelligence modifier, you may also force them to make an intelligence save or be knocked 10 feet away form you.

Battle feint
At 7th level you may use a bonus action to force a creature sized large or smaller within 5 feet to make an intelligence save or be knocked prone. You may use this feature a number of teams equal to your intelligence modifier. All uses of this feature reset on a long rest.

Three Talon Strike

Second Wind Improvement

At 18th level you may use a reaction in response to being hit to gain a bonus to your AC equal to your intelligence modifier against that attack. You may use this feature a number of teams equal to your intelligence modifier. All uses of this feature reset on a long rest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reworked the class to be a bit simpler and be a bit more viable at low levels without the Intelligence to AC making it a bit crazy.

Edit; feel free to use all of it as you please, all I demand is your everlasting love.....

As for a bit more on balance I feel the class is similar to the battlemaster with regards to power, but this is just a gut reaction and not based on any maths.

The problem with the original Kill zone feature was that it felt more like a spell and had no limit on forcing enemies to waste a turn if they couldn't attack you or running out of enemies threatened squares.

LegioCaelorum
2016-03-12, 05:32 PM
I reworked the class to be a bit simpler and be a bit more viable at low levels without the Intelligence to AC making it a bit crazy.

Edit; feel free to use all of it as you please, all I demand is your everlasting love.....

As for a bit more on balance I feel the class is similar to the battlemaster with regards to power, but this is just a gut reaction and not based on any maths.

The problem with the original Kill zone feature was that it felt more like a spell and had no limit on forcing enemies to waste a turn if they couldn't attack you or running out of enemies threatened squares.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the help! XD It feels a lot smoother(feels like the right word) to me. The rework on kill zone is still flavorful and exciting and feels like something i would like to work for as a player. And of course i shall love you for ever lol. Let me know if you think of any way to improve it past its current point!!.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-13, 02:56 AM
With the help of a great person XD you know who you are i present you the refined 2ed draft of Spear Master. (COUGH.....Final Hyena......COUGH)

Spear Master

Thoughtful Combatant

At 3rd level when wearing no heavy or medium armour wielding a spear in two hands give you a +2 bonus to your ac.

Audacious Assault

Battle feint

Three Talon Strike

Second Wind Improvement

At 18th level you may use a reaction in response to being hit to gain a bonus to your AC equal to your intelligence modifier against that attack. You may use this feature a number of teams equal to your intelligence modifier. All uses of this feature reset on a long rest.

I would like to start off by stating that this is my first ever attempt at a homebrew anything. So please be gentle but honest XD.

I was shooting for a better fighter like class to play that exemplifies, or at least trys to, Zhou Yun. Pulling from different sorces I threw together what I believe to be a decent class. But before I bring it to the table I need input from fellow players/DMs. So here we go XD

Most feedback is given by Final. When wearin no medium or heavy armor you get +2 AC if wielding a spear in two hands. Could just be replaced by something more fluffy. Either: If you are not wearing heavy +medium armor then you deal 1d8 damage with the spear, even if not wielding the spear in two hands (so with shield also +2AC).

Or, if you don't want shields, then you could go for: When carrying a spear, the spear counts as light for you. Better for three talon strike and more spears is always cooler.

Final Hyena
2016-03-13, 08:14 AM
When wearin no medium or heavy armor you get +2 AC if wielding a spear in two hands. Could just be replaced by something more fluffy. Either: If you are not wearing heavy +medium armor then you deal 1d8 damage with the spear, even if not wielding the spear in two hands (so with shield also +2AC).

Or, if you don't want shields, then you could go for: When carrying a spear, the spear counts as light for you. Better for three talon strike and more spears is always cooler.
I was having similar ideas that the build needed something to make it a spear archetype, because as it is nothing stops you from going sword and shield....
Anyway I think he was basing it on a particular person which requires one spear and no shield, I was considering an option to be able to just get a free bonus attack with the spear, perhaps the way pole arm master does it.

LegioCaelorum
2016-03-13, 11:36 AM
I was having similar ideas that the build needed something to make it a spear archetype, because as it is nothing stops you from going sword and shield....
Anyway I think he was basing it on a particular person which requires one spear and no shield, I was considering an option to be able to just get a free bonus attack with the spear, perhaps the way pole arm master does it.

Yeah i realized after i had posted it that you could just take 3lvls of it to get the lvl3 perks and then go monk and wreck everything and wouldn't even have to use a spear. I'm still considering on how to alter it to make it more fluff/speary lol. Accepting all ideas. Thank you ender and final for your help/input so far.

Also Three talon strike (lvl10) was changed with advice and help from my DM. The fluff behind it is your an intelligent fighter and strike the same spot over and over to gain an advantage. I still think the stacking 3 times might be to much what do you all think? He also recommended combining the lvl 3 Assault and lvl 7 Feint into one lvl 7 ability to help reduce the front loading the class has.