Medium Elemental, neutral

Armor Class: 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 120 (16d8 +48)
Speed: 30 ft., swim 30 ft.

STR: 10 (+0) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 17 (+3)
INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 20 (+5) CHA: 18 (+4)

Saving Throws: Constitution, Wisdom
Skills: Persuasion +8, Perception +9, Insight +9
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons
Damage Immunities: cold, poison
Condition Immunities: exhaustion, paralyzed, poisoned, unconscious
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., passive perception
Languages: Aquan, Auran, Common
Challenge Rating: 10 (5,900xp)

Prescience (3/day): Three time per day as a free action, a maiden can duplicate the effect of any of the following divination spells:

Tongues, clairvoyance, divination, scrying (DC 17), legend lore, locate creature, locate object
Searching Gaze: The maiden continually has the benefits of the Identify and true seeing spells.

Innate Spellcasting: The maiden’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). She can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.

At will: Shape Water, Fog Cloud, Ice Knife
3/day: Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, Conjure Minor Elementals (ice only)
1/day: Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Conjure Elemental (Ice only)

Elemental Ice Pool: Ice Maidens are physically tied to magic pools of churning, grinding elemental ice, anything from a frozen pool to an iceberg or even a glacier and cannot leave except to return to their native plane. An ice maiden is physically tied to its pool and cannot leave except to return to its native plane. Each elemental pool has a portal to the Frostfell at its bottom. An elemental pool is always at least 40 feet in diameter and 20 feet deep, although a pool can be up to ten times that size. Any non-elemental creature entering a maiden’s pool without the maiden’s permission must succeed on a DC 23 Constitution save each round or be transformed into ice (only a greater restoration, or similar magic can restore the creature). Creatures granted access to the pool by the maiden are not subject to transformation. However, creatures allowed to enter a pool must still provide their own protection from cold and ice, as well as the means to breathe and move normally. Otherwise, they take 2d6 points of damage and 2d6 points of cold damage per round from the churning blocks of ice, and may drown.

Heat Sense: An ice maiden can automatically sense heat sources within 60 feet. It senses only the presence or absence of heat, but if it chooses to use a standard action to concentrate on this ability, it can establish the number and location of heat auras and the strength of each in the second and third rounds of concentration.

ACTIONS

Chilling Touch: Melee weapon attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (2d6 +2) cold damage. On a hit the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer one level of exhaustion.

EDIT: Comments, critiques, rebalancing?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-12, 05:07 PM
What does this creature looks like? Specifically, I'm wondering why it's immune to the grappled, restrained and prone conditions. 'Maiden' sounds like a humanoid shape, something like...

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/238/538394-shiva__2_.jpg
...which wouldn't normally have those immunities. Furthermore, the 'ice pool' trait recalls the nymphs of greek myth (also humanoid-shape), and the hit point total looks kind of like the medusa's (also humanoid-shape).

Anyway. I'm thinking we'll aim for CR 6 (again based on the medusa as a template). That gives us a +3 proficiency bonus. Let's see how it goes.

Defense: 120 @ 16. I'm going to say x2 HP for the resistances and immunities, because that's quite a solid set. Also, I'd consider dropping the weakness to fire for this one. It'd be a little boring if fire spells were the answer to everything, and it could be a unique feature that this one gets - its magical nature is so strong that fire doesn't melt it. Or maybe you could say it uses its ice pool as a heatsink.

So, that's a defensive CR of 12.

Attack: spell save DC is 16, spell attack bonus is +8. Optimum attack routine is Cone of Cold, Ice Storm, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm (Ice Knife is close, but the 'assume AoEs hit 2 targets' rule puts SSS in front by a nose). That's 2x8d8, 2x(2d8+4d6), 2x3d6 = 2x36, 2x23, 2x10.5 = 46.3 DPR. Offensive CR 7.

That's... CR 10 overall. Am I overrating the damage resistances? Possibly. But I'll assume I'm not. CR 10 is workable, and gives us plenty of room for Cone of Cold. That bumps its proficiency bonus to +4, changing the spell save to 17 (which moves its offensive CR up to 8, but that just means the overall 10 is more secure).

Random thought: why does being invisible mask your heat signature? That's the opposite of what I'd expect and it's a waste of a good opportunity to rein in the power of a strong spell.

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 05:59 PM
Its an offshoot of ice/snow weirds from 3.5 frostburn

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-12, 06:09 PM
Its an offshoot of ice/snow weirds from 3.5 frostburn

So like this?

http://www.themistway.com/pics/iceweird.jpg
Not so far from what I imagined. It shouldn't have those Immunities.

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 06:55 PM
I looked at the elemental weird thingy so I just took a bit from that...what would you suggest, I want it to be a powerful creature (or at least hard to kill), and I'm trying to follow through with the elemental immunities and resistances...not sure how to finalize it

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 07:05 PM
Random thought: why does being invisible mask your heat signature? That's the opposite of what I'd expect and it's a waste of a good opportunity to rein in the power of a strong spell.

Oh I copied and pasted that bit and didn't see an issue with it as I was trying to work with everything else at the same time...I'll just snip that off then

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 07:11 PM
Also, I'd consider dropping the weakness to fire for this one. It'd be a little boring if fire spells were the answer to everything, and it could be a unique feature that this one gets - its magical nature is so strong that fire doesn't melt it. Or maybe you could say it uses its ice pool as a heatsink.

I like that thought very much, but they are also native to the frostfell where they wouldn't be bound by a pool.

EDIT: Though your first statement would be best, elemental nature so strong fire cant melt her :smallamused:

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 07:18 PM
As a CR 10 it seems very good, not weak in the least

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-12, 07:21 PM
I looked at the elemental weird thingy so I just took a bit from that...what would you suggest, I want it to be a powerful creature (or at least hard to kill), and I'm trying to follow through with the elemental immunities and resistances...not sure how to finalize it

It is hard to kill. That's why it's CR 10. I wasn't saying you should take away the elemental immunities, I was saying you should take away some of the condition immunities. The creature in the picture (which is an ice weird, apparently) is something that can be grappled and knocked prone; players will feel cheated if you turn around and say "it can't be restrained". It can keep the immunity to exhaustion, poison and paralysis - I could understand those coming from its elemental nature - but I would definitely leave it open to the physical conditions. If they were copied from 3.5, well, obviously that system handled things differently.

I like that thought very much, but they are also native to the frostfell where they wouldn't be bound by a pool.

Just because it's not bound in place, doesn't mean it can't sink heat into the pool. And if you don't like the heatsink idea, maybe Auril, goddess of winter, granted her maidens special protections that last until the end of time. It doesn't really matter how you justify it... this is homebrew; you can do what you want.

As an aside, you should avoid double-posting. It's against the rules.

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 07:25 PM
It is hard to kill. That's why it's CR 10. I wasn't saying you should take away the elemental immunities, I was saying you should take away some of the condition immunities. The creature in the picture (which is an ice weird, apparently) is something that can be grappled and knocked prone; players will feel cheated if you turn around and say "it can't be restrained". It can keep the immunity to exhaustion, poison and paralysis - I could understand those coming from its elemental nature - but I would definitely leave it open to the physical conditions. If they were copied from 3.5, well, obviously that system handled things differently.

I understand now, that makes sense, editing to be done now...

Just because it's not bound in place, doesn't mean it can't sink heat into the pool. And if you don't like the heatsink idea, maybe Auril, god of winter, granted his maidens special protections that last until the end of time. It doesn't really matter how you justify it... this is homebrew; you can do what you want.

As an aside, you should avoid double-posting. It's against the rules.

I already agreed with you on that, also double post as in post twice in a row on one thread is against the rules?

EDIT: Auril is a female :smalltongue:

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-13, 05:41 AM
I already agreed with you on that, also double post as in post twice in a row on one thread is against the rules?

Yes. You should probably check them out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=63&a=1).

EDIT: Auril is a female :smalltongue:

...So she is. I must have gotten her confused with Azuth, because I keep thinking he's a goddess... :smalleek:

RavenJovan
2016-03-13, 12:21 PM
...So she is. I must have gotten her confused with Azuth, because I keep thinking he's a goddess... :smalleek:

Lol, silly Ninja_Prawn

So I assume this one is complete nows?

Sariel Vailo
2016-09-30, 03:17 PM
Can you make this a. Playable 5Eds. Race