PDA

View Full Version : visiting your familiars home

TundraBuccaneer
2016-03-12, 04:47 PM
I play a chain pact warlock and took a pseudo dragon as familiar. Now he has been killed a couple of times, as they do. But I was wandering if I went to the feywilds and visit him there or if i took him with me there. Would he look different? Would he still be a dragonish fey?

I can imagian that if you had a fiend and summond an imp you could get an actual imp. But psuedodragons are not fey.

Daishain
2016-03-12, 05:02 PM
That aspect is poorly defined enough that any fluff you think fits best is perfectly fine.

Personally? I'm inclined to treat familiars as bonded creatures rather than a creation. As such, I see no reason for your pseudodragon to be anything other than a normal pseudodragon.

If you want there to be some differences, and we're speaking of a pseudodragon that has spent much of its life in the feywilds, we can probably expect there to be some impact from that. Some puckish behavioral quirks would almost be a given. Physical changes might involve more elaborate and/or graceful features. A decent means of approximating things might be to compare a pseudodragon to a faerie dragon and find a compromise between the two in behavior and appearance.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-13, 03:59 PM
That aspect is poorly defined enough that any fluff you think fits best is perfectly fine.

I agree. Even if your pseudodragon is a fey creature pretending to be a pseudodragon, I would imagine it would continue to do so in the feywild. Perhaps it would be more powerful and harder to control, but your patron's power ought to be sufficient to keep this minor spirit broadly in line.

greenstone
2016-03-13, 08:29 PM
But psuedodragons are not fey.

That is irrelevant. A familiar is a spirit taking the form of another creature.

For example, in my game a warlock of a Great Old One has a familiar that takes the form of a sprite, but it is actually an aberration.