PDA

View Full Version : New to forum DND

TheCrowing1432
2016-03-12, 05:54 PM
Im not entirely sure if this is the correct place for this type of discussion but I didnt want to stick this into the LFG or any of the OOC groups.

But, I am in general new to forum DND and wanted to start playing online with people, does anyone have any advice on what its like? Or how it works?

LTwerewolf
2016-03-12, 05:55 PM
You're going to want to look here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?3-Play-by-Post-Games)

Pluto!
2016-03-12, 06:37 PM
It's awkward, slow and internet anonymity makes it very easy for people to flake out and just leave the game hangi

Tohsaka Rin
2016-03-12, 10:40 PM
It's awkward, slow and internet anonymity makes it very easy for people to flake out and just leave the game hangi

Don't be silly, people don't just lea

LTwerewolf
2016-03-12, 11:40 PM
Don't scare him away from pbp. It can be a lot of fun, just help him get the informa

Pluto!
2016-03-13, 12:53 AM
I'm not a fan of forum RPGs, but I've played in a couple reunion games with college friends - two of whom were on far ends of the country. Skype was actually really handy, and worked far better than I had expected, but the tactical wargame parts of D&D didn't really work for them. (I've heard people attest to Roll20 (https://roll20.net/) for those wargame elements, but I haven't used it.) In terms of the exploration/roleplaying elements of RPGs, Skype was great.

In terms of running games entirely online with people you don't know, I would look into Roll20. I'm not sure if there's a community for it, but as I mentioned, my experiences with play-by-post D&D games have been less than satisfying. Honestly, if I were trying to PBP again, I would avoid D&D altogether and go for something less tactical and combat-focused - just describing a single round of combat actions is likely to take a day or two of real time as everyone waits for the entire group to submit feedback to the DM.

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-13, 01:30 AM
Im not entirely sure if this is the correct place for this type of discussion but I didnt want to stick this into the LFG or any of the OOC groups.

But, I am in general new to forum DND and wanted to start playing online with people, does anyone have any advice on what its like? Or how it works?

If you've played tabletop D&D before and you're looking to switch to online play, you might find a virtual tabletop more familiar than the slower play-by-post methodology. Nowadays, I do most of my gaming on roll20, but you can also try Maptools or a few other online platforms.