PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tripping weapons

Shnigda
2016-03-12, 07:18 PM
Hey guys, I realised when going over the Trip attack that it says you make an unarmed attack to trip. Does this mean that you cannot make a trip attack unless you have a tripping weapon or are unarmed?
For example, could someone make a trip attack while wielding a Two-Handed weapon such as a greatsword?

If not, is it possible to trade out proficiency with one weapon for proficiency with another, exotic, weapon (such as the spiked chain)?

EDIT: If it makes a difference, the character has Improved Trip

Necroticplague
2016-03-12, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, I realised when going over the Trip attack that it says you make an unarmed attack to trip. Does this mean that you cannot make a trip attack unless you have a tripping weapon or are unarmed?
For example, could someone make a trip attack while wielding a Two-Handed weapon such as a greatsword?

If not, is it possible to trade out proficiency with one weapon for proficiency with another, exotic, weapon (such as the spiked chain)?

EDIT: If it makes a difference, the character has Improved Trip

You can make an unarmed attack even when you're hands are full, since your unarmed strike is over your whole body. This includes unarmed touch attacks (such as those required for trip and grapple).

Depends on your class and what ACFs there are for it. I think there's an Exoticist Fighter ACF that trades out proficiency with all martial weapons for profeciency with something like 4-6 exotic weapons of your choice.

No, having improved trip doesn't make a difference in this respect.

Shnigda
2016-03-12, 08:49 PM
Ok thanks, good to know!

The exoticist fighter looks interesting, do you think it's possible to have that and dungeoncrasher?

Necroticplague
2016-03-12, 08:58 PM
Ok thanks, good to know!

The exoticist fighter looks interesting, do you think it's possible to have that and dungeoncrasher?

Yes. Dungeoncrasher sacrifices some of your bonus feats, Exoticist sacrifices proficiencies. Should be compatible.

Tohsaka Rin
2016-03-12, 10:32 PM
Yes. Dungeoncrasher sacrifices some of your bonus feats, Exoticist sacrifices presidencies. Should be compatible.

I usually advise against taking any class that requires you to commit treason.

HurinTheCursed
2016-03-13, 09:00 AM
There is a specific list of weapons with which you can trip, not all of them are exotic (such as a guisarme, flail, halberd, scythe...).

Elxir_Breauer
2016-03-13, 09:15 AM
Last time I remember reading up on Trip attempts, the only difference between using a Trip weapon or not was that you could drop a Trip weapon if your attempt failed, and there-by prevent the retaliatory attempt on yourself. If you use a weapon without that quality you simply can't drop it to prevent being tripped in return on a failure.

A.A.King
2016-03-13, 09:19 AM

I don't know man, we don't all want to be Lawful now do we? It is also an instant plot hook which is always a nice bonus.

HurinTheCursed
2016-03-13, 01:17 PM
Last time I remember reading up on Trip attempts, the only difference between using a Trip weapon or not was that you could drop a Trip weapon if your attempt failed, and there-by prevent the retaliatory attempt on yourself. If you use a weapon without that quality you simply can't drop it to prevent being tripped in return on a failure.
Not only, you don't cause attacks of opportunity when using a weapon. And you can have reach. And you are probably dealing more damage than unarmed when you attack in a vanilla build.

Tripping with a Weapon
Some weapons can be used to make trip attacks. In this case, you make a melee touch attack with the weapon instead of an unarmed melee touch attack, and you don’t provoke an attack of opportunity.

KillianHawkeye
2016-03-13, 11:51 PM

I don't know man, we don't all want to be Lawful now do we? It is also an instant plot hook which is always a nice bonus.

But does anybody really enforce those kinds of fluff requirements?

Troacctid
2016-03-14, 08:49 AM
Not only, you don't cause attacks of opportunity when using a weapon. And you can have reach. And you are probably dealing more damage than unarmed when you attack in a vanilla build.

Also, you have a higher attack bonus, since you add the weapon's enhancement bonus.

MisterKaws
2016-03-14, 10:16 AM
I'd use a cat. Seriously, those guys can trip Prismatic Dragons.

Him
2020-10-17, 10:36 PM
I'd use a cat. Seriously, those guys can trip Prismatic Dragons.

Maybe if they are control by a traitor dog familiar who has eaten ambrosia of The God. . . Nah that's just pure fantasy, not at all like DnD.

From, The Water Dragon.

P.S. if there is a feline that could trip a Prismatic Dragon, I would like to watch what it would do to you for calling it just a cat.