PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Optimizing a Half-Elf Shaman Skill-Monkey [Looking for Advice]

Levism84
2016-03-12, 07:20 PM
In an upcoming Pathfinder game, I am playing an old half-elf shaman and want my character to be able to do, well, anything they want, skill-wise. Everyone is starting off at 6th level. My DM is allowing each player to have 3 flaws (for an extra 3 bonus feats). I decided to go with the flaws Divine Gestures (gain arcane spell failure chance), Individualist (which means I need to make my own weapons and armor to avoid taking penalties), and Love of Nature (which makes it difficult to harm animals).

So far I have decided upon:

1st: Fast Learner (+1 hit point, +1 skill rank per level up)
BF: Improvisation (+2 to untrained skills, use skills as if trained)
BF: Improved Improvisation (extra +2 to untrained skills, reduce non-proficiency penalty for weapon to -2)
BF: Breadth of Experience (+2 to Knowledge and Profession skills)
3rd: (free)
5th: (free)

I am also taking the Reflexive Improvisation racial trait for half elf, giving up adaptability and multitalented for a +2 to untrained skills. I am also taking the equipment trait Quick Learner, which reduces the non-proficiency penalty for weapons by 2 after making one attack roll with the weapon. To the best of my knowledge, this will basically make me proficient with all weapons (after I make one attack with it) and grant me a +6 bonus on all untrained skill checks, which I am treated as being trained in for the purposes of making checks. I am also using Lore Shaman with the Benefit of Wisdom hex and a Wisdom of 23 (18 + 2 racial +2 age category + 1 ability score boost), so I use my Wis modifier of +6 for all Intelligence-based and Wisdom-based skills.

My question is, is there any way I can make my skill monkey even more of a skill monkey with my last two feats or any other traits? Variant Multi-Classing is also an option. I was just curious if anyone had any ideas how I could make my crony half-elf shaman a master-dabbler in all skills?

Othniel
2016-03-13, 12:47 AM
Maybe this is what you are doing, but the Possessed Shaman archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/shaman/archetypes/paizo---shaman-archetypes/possessed-shaman) gives you essentially free ranks in any two skills which use the same ability. You do give up a couple hexes and spirit magic bonus spells though, so keep that in mind. I played one of these one time and had a blast roleplaying the different spirits that my character had dwelling inside him.

There are a couple other feats you might consider if you want to go full-bore skills:

Dilettante (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dilettante) (Decent)
Esoteric Linguistics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/esoteric-linguistics) (Not that great, honestly)
Orator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/orator)

Florian
2016-03-13, 03:51 AM
You could consider using a Human as base, Fast Learner and Extra Traits.
That would let you pick four "Skill traits" for additional class skills and a +1 trait bonus on each.
The "True Silvered Throne" archetype changes Shaman class skills a bit, so, amongst other things, all knowledge skills become class skills.
"Focused Study" ART would let you exchange the one bonus feat for multiple Skill Foci when you level.

avr
2016-03-13, 06:21 AM
If there's any chance you might take one of the alternate racial FCBs then Fast Learner is strictly inferior to Toughness. Since shamans of many races get the option of learning a cleric spell via FCB and there are many cleric spells which boost skills, I'd say that's so for you.

You'll find wondrous items to be useful boosting skills so you might want to get the feat to craft them. It has other uses too of course.

If you're getting bonuses to untrained skills you might want the worldly trait for a 1/day reroll on any one of them. Additional Traits via the feat of that name is worthwhile for you whether you want that one or not.