View Full Version : Reign of Winter [PF Gestalt, IC-Interactive]

lostsole31
2016-03-12, 09:02 PM
So, here is where the RP magic lives. Now, obviously anything which is time-sensitive or needs to be discussed IC lives there because it is absolutely intrinsic to the forward motion of the plot itself. Here is where the characters (not the players) chat to each other about ... whatever. Side comments in the middle of things still are IC. NPCs are also people that might chat to one, many, or all of you; but the last is likely only when doing general discussion, not setting up the plot.

Now, considering Delta's dealing with all manner of terrible creatures, or even good creatures that to a mortal's eyes seem terrifying - rat's a rat, celestial or not - and then a handful of spirits he has bound to him. These are lost souls. Well, I imagine he's pretty used to that ... but this one was particularly terrifying. That said, it might be something to mention IC or he might keep it to himself. Also, if you are feeling story-rific, meemaas, you can even use this space to let the DM in on multi-PC confabs for your many guys.

This thread won't use my Interactive quite as much as normal, simply because among seven main characters, there are only two players, five of whom are controlled by one player, and another not-quite-cohort/servant of gratitude NPC. Now, here is the formula so Wall-of-Text doesn't appear here, and they are always in Spoilers.
Yup, it's really that simple.
So, as an example, Delta wants to say something to Paxre, and this thread is used because it might not have anything to do with the real plot (but still might become important later). It is also to denote retcons (within reason). So, let's say meemaas' character Delta wants to ask Paxre something. In a post, meemaas woud write this.
"Paxre, there is a strange effect that occurs when I am near you, and doubled ... tripled in intensity once the link was established," said Delta. "I will admit that it is dark and discomfiting."
Then, PSinger might respond in a post:
"Is there question in there somewhere?" Paxre asked with no sense of sarcasm at all, which is quite against what one would expect for irony, and likely confused as insult by most, anyway.
Of course, since specific persons are talking to another (in a one-on-one), narration isn't even necessary and you can just "talk in character" with the proper color.
I reprinted above from another Interactive thread because it follows the same rules, though this is for our Reign of Winter campaign. We can probably take Achilles and the Elder's conversation and bring it over to this point. I don't want to hold up the story for the bit-by-bit, necessarily.

lostsole31
2016-03-16, 03:12 AM
I'd be delighted to learn more about Erastil. Being a soldier, I spend a good amount of time living out in the wild, more than I actually do in battle. I think it's time I should start becoming more familiar with the ways of living with nature, and it's my good fortune you're here to tell me about Old Deadeye."
Elder Natharen Safander is pleased. "It will be good to have such a one as you in our flock - that is, our village and our congregation. It will be my pleasure, and as often as Pathwarden Tesseril is willing to have Desna intervene for us. The Hunter has blessed my life with the ability to perform miracles, and yet your friend's tongues spell here is, sadly, even beyond what I can do. That is something that will be important for you ... learning the noble language of our ancient empire: Taldane."

"I am a fairly skilled weaponsmith. Here is my sword, Captain's Justice. I made it myself."

Achilles retrieves his sword and displays it for the priest.
"Beautiful," he gasps. "You will definitely find work with Iskur's Smithy. What is this strange, dark metal? I have never seen its like."

"While The Captain and I have been in combat quite a bit, and I'd be happy to help defend the village if needed.I don't know what we'll do after The Captain wakes, but I could help the village militia make this place a little more defensible."
"Well, if there were any trouble, we do have a tower and an armory. A few men are members of our militia, and the tower, armory, and militia are overseen and trained by Isker Eurphram. We are blessed to have his veteran experience, though in truth you will be working mainly in the smithy. Without knowing the language, you really can't oversee anything. Isker would probably refuse your help in the smithy because you can't understand words, but one look at Captain's Justice and I'm sure he will be more than willing to figure out something. Besides, as of current there are about 174 souls that live in or around Heldren. That's just not enough. What we do have to the west inside the Border Wood is a seasoned group of rangers called the High Sentinels that usually keep bandit activity curtailed. Truth be told, they're not doing that great a job. Recently, a group of brigands attacked a well-armed caravan and abducted Lady Argentea. No doubt the Sentinels are in hot pursuit."

"However, I really would like to learn about this land. It feels comfortable in a way home never did."
"Well, it's not comfortable for us. Not recently. You may have heard mention that this is summer. In fact, this is the end of the month of Erastus, named after Erastil. Yet, the wood in the stove has been going - at least on embers - nonstop since you've been here. The weather is unseasonably cold for midsummer - it even snowed in the Border Wood! Most suspect magic is involved, and some fear that Qadiran agents have played a role in this. Once the Sentinels return, I am sure they can give you a greater look at the land. In the meantime, your friend Pathwarden Tesseril has done extremely well in at least basic conversation skills and she can take you around and then introduce you to Isker and the town. We'll need her to focus a lot of time here with your Captain when she is not helping in the community.

"What can you tell me about your Captain? No doubt you are quite sworn to him? Is he the one for whom your sword is named?"

srgonzo
2016-03-16, 01:19 PM
It's called adamantine. It's heavier than standard steel, and more durable, making it harder to break. Part of the combat technique I employ involves breaking my opponent's weapon, so it's a good idea to have one that won't break as easily as steel.

Achilles listens to the information about the Sentinels, and his interest is piqued.

Elder, I'll learn whatever languages I need to learn in order to help these Sentinels for as long as I can, and if that means making weapons and arrowheads for them, I'm happy to do it.

Since I haven't made any use of skills at this point, how many skill ranks would I have to take of Linguistics in order to learn the requisite language? It seems that from a point of RP, trying to hold down a job, convert to a new faith, and learning the skills needed to help the Sentinels, he'd have to force himself to learn the language, even if he is talking like a caveman

"Who is Lady Argentea, aside from some sort of local noble, and why would bandits kidnap her? That seems unwise, as kidnapping nobles usually brings the attention of more powerful nobles and even royals at times."

"The Captain took me out of Cauldron when I was a boy. He taught me about the larger world, got me into soldiering, and started me thinking for myself about issues of right and wrong. I've gotten to see more, live more and do more because of him. He's even had me resurrected. Before our last encounter with Nabthateron, he was a man. Now, Shensen tells me he's a vaati, some sort of air elemental which is also an embodiment of Law. That is where The Captain and I disagreed. He insisted that order must be paramount, while I'd contend there is a need for discipline at varying levels, and what was most important was a dedication to Good. I'd say there was no validity behind laws designed to oppress people who would otherwise be decent and peaceful folk, and he'd say that criminality for altruistic purposes was still crime. I hope he gets back to being himself. He'd be a great help to the High Sentinels, I think. He's a brilliant tactician, and a good magic user. He doesn't think magic solves for everything, and even though he's a noble, he respects the value of the man, not his station. Since he seems to be getting better, I guess there's no point in moving him right now. I made this sword as my master's piece. Only a master weaponsmith can work in the more exotic metals. When I first made it, I imagined coming home one day to show it to the first smith to whom I was apprenticed. He told me as I left with The Captain the closest I would ever get to being a weaponsmith was tying a rock to a branch and calling it a hammer. So I thought 'Hammer' would be a good name for my sword. The Captain didn't really care for the joke, since I'd surpassed the old smith's skills long before. After he had me resurrected, I named it 'Captain's Justice.'"

lostsole31
2016-03-16, 08:41 PM
"It's called adamantine. It's heavier than standard steel, and more durable, making it harder to break. Part of the combat technique I employ involves breaking my opponent's weapon, so it's a good idea to have one that won't break as easily as steel."
He chuckles, "Oh, myyy. It's a good thing your friends aren't Toragdans. The Dwarf-father's progeny see destruction of crafted items as a sin."

Achilles listens to the information about the Sentinels, and his interest is piqued. "Elder, I'll learn whatever languages I need to learn in order to help these Sentinels for as long as I can, and if that means making weapons and arrowheads for them, I'm happy to do it."
Learning languages is hard/easy in Pathfinder. For every point of Linguistics one has, that represents not only an increase in the general skill but also a new language. So, if someone has 5 ranks in Linguistics, they have their Automatic Languages, Bonus Languages from INT (and sometimes traits), and another 5 "Learned" languages. This means that it will take you only 1 rank of Linguistics to be able to pick up Taldane (which is the name of this part of the world's "Common). The downside is that at the bottom of 12th-level, and starting a 1st-level module for the purpose of enjoying a story from the get-go, don't expect to level-up for a very, very long time. Still requiring leveling up, but another option is to retrain out Goblin (which you speak). I doubt you spoke Goblin at any time in the past few years. I won't allow retraining of your native tongue for obvious reasons, but also because it is a great "battle language" you, Shensen, and Cap can use to freely discuss tactics in-battle without worrying about the opposition knowing what you're saying. Let me know which you want to go with that.

"Who is Lady Argentea, aside from some sort of local noble, and why would bandits kidnap her? That seems unwise, as kidnapping nobles usually brings the attention of more powerful nobles and even royals at times."
"Lady Argentea Mallasene is a young noblewoman from Oppara, our nation's capital to the north. I'm sure the fools captured her for desire of ransom."

"The Captain .... vaati ... matters of Good vs. Law.'"
"He sounds like a remarkable man. I can't wait to meet him. Shensen tells me that where for days he was vegetative now he seems to have the werewithal of a babe.

"I don't know anything about elementals or creatures reputed to live in the Great Beyond. We Erastilians care about the people, the land, the animals ... community .. hearth and home ... trade ... such lofty things are for others or those whose destinies have been specifically touched.

"A philosopher-warrior?" he smiles. "My dear young MacAvemeth, I see having some excellent conversations with you."

srgonzo
2016-03-19, 10:51 AM
"Oh, myyy. It's a good thing your friends aren't Toragdans. The Dwarf-father's progeny see destruction of crafted items as a sin."

"Toragdans? I don't know so much about them, but the dwarves I've known didn't seem to take any offense to it.

"Lady Argentea Mallasene is a young noblewoman from Oppara, our nation's capital to the north. I'm sure the fools captured her for desire of ransom."

I don't think it's that simple. Bandits usually know their limitations. Unless they're pretty big, most bandit companies will rob a noble and ransom a merchant.

"...a philosopher-warrior?

I don't know about all that, but The Captain did encourage me to think about why I do things, not just how to do them.

lostsole31
2016-03-22, 08:13 AM
"Daggers?" Shensen asks. "I mean, I have my one magical dagger, but I am so not as strong as you. Unless we're talking about arrows, I don't really get into having extras and backups. I'm just not strong enough, and I don't like to be too dependent."

srgonzo
2016-03-22, 11:44 AM
I was thinking I might be able to make you something useful. You've been very kind and helpful, and I thought I'd make you something to show my appreciation.

srgonzo
2016-03-23, 11:41 AM
Achilles hands Shensen a kukri in a brown leather scabbard. When she pulls it out, one side of the blade is engraved with "All paths are home." The other side is engraved with "In seeking out the foreign, we find ourselves." The entire blade looks like either ripples in a pond or the rings in trees (Damascus-style blade, which could account for the speed with which a master weaponsmith could turn out such a fine product in so short a time)"Here Shensen, I know you don't usually do too much hand-to-hand, but I thought you could use a back-up blade, and a kukri is a really good utility tool. You've been a great companion and a true friend." Achilles grins sheepishly as he hands it to her."I hope you like it."

lostsole31
2016-03-23, 11:07 PM
She doesn't take it until you put the blade back in the scabbard. Once you do and hand it to her, she takes the scabbard, and with reverence draws the angled blade (w/o Damascus styling). She wields it and does several agile wristwork maneuvers with it. (She has Weapon Finesse.) She nods, "Good blade. Solid, functional, light. More than just a killing weapon, too, and I thank you. This is a fine weapon for the camp - better than my dagger for many chores."

She turns the blade to read the inscription. Of course, the inscription is in the language you share ... the language of home: Oeridian. The irony (or is it steel-y) is not lost on her. She blinks once, then twice, in some sort of reverie. She takes the center part of the blade, and then slices it across the middle of her thumb-to-index finger webbing of her hand as she hisses in pain. "The first blood this weapon draws must be mine, to teach me humility. To remind me that we in this lifestyle are likely to see our final hours at the end of a blade, and to remember that in those we might slay - or grant mercy unto."

She then takes the blade so that it is at her head below her ear, at the lower layer of hair. Using the base of the blade (near the hilt), she cuts off a lock of her white hair. She dabs the center of that lock in the blood to help bind that "sheaf" of hairs together. Then, she hands that lock to you.

srgonzo
2016-03-23, 11:12 PM
Achilles takes the lock of hair and places it carefully in a piece of cloth, then puts that in a leather pouch bound with a thong, which he ties around his neck. "Thank you," he says. "I guess we each have a part of the other now."

srgonzo
2016-03-31, 12:50 PM
****POKE****

Ok, this exchange got really serious. Does this indicate some sort of fraternal bond, or did Achilles just get married without knowing it?

lostsole31
2016-03-31, 07:04 PM
Ok, this exchange got really serious. Does this indicate some sort of fraternal bond, or did Achilles just get married without knowing it?
Here's a line you haven't heard for awhile, patented and registered as a Rusty TM .... "You don't know, do you?"

How does Achilles interpret it?

srgonzo
2016-04-01, 12:29 PM
He's not sure. He gave her a kukri as a gift of friendship and appreciation.

So, um, Shensen, I was giving you a present to express my thanks for your help, and it's not easy to find a better weaponsmith than I am in a town this size, but it seems that we just bonded in some way. Was that something formal, and what does it mean?

lostsole31
2016-04-01, 02:36 PM
"You gave something of yourself, and I gave something of myself," she says simply. She looks at your odd demeanor and then adds, "I expect this will be a great tale for our grandchildren. I ovulate in two weeks. Let me know what you want - boy or girl, and I'll see if I can't find the proper herbs in the meantime to help make that happen."

She turns and goes about cheerily with some chore or another.

srgonzo
2016-04-04, 01:06 PM
As Shensen turns away, Achilles's jaw drops. He stops to think about it for a while. He isn't likely to meet another woman, much less find a wife. She is attractive, and she's a warrior in her own right. Shensen would understand the vagaries of his life, protect their children and treat him well. Maybe that would be enough. Besides, it's beyond time he start a family.
"Shen, I don't really have a preference right now," he says. "Healthy would be my first choice."

lostsole31
2016-07-20, 01:29 AM
These will be answered on the way back to town ...

1) "Milady, I believe that will answer your question. ...what with the Captain's...changes ...
2) Once we've brought you back to a place you can resupply, I'm willing to accompany you to sort this out, provided my wife is in agreement.
3) However, I can't rightly speak for Ten Penny ... While I haven't thought much about reforming our old mercenary company ... I just met Ten-Penny today. ... I promised her [Ten-Penny] I would do everything I could to get her out of here safely, and I mean to do that.
4) I'm sure Shensen has enough learning to translate our contract into the local language, but joining the company is Ten Penny's decision.
5) As for a Taldan sword, I'm not rightly sure what you're referencing, but I'm a pretty good weaponsmith (shows her Captain's Justice). Here's an example of my work. I dare say if you tell me what you're looking for, I can make it, given time and supplies. And a forge, of course.
1) Being a trusting sort, and believing that if a noble of the land can get behind supporting what would otherwise be seen as some sort of possible abomination, Shensen regales Lady Argentea with the story of how you came to be here, and what has occurred with the former Prince Theron Grinish, aka "The Captain," and what his true ancestry has been described as being ... while at the same time even then he is markedly different from the standard vaati.

Since you are likely the one supporting The Captain, you have come to find that while still extremely weak in strength, if it weren't for the snow he is moving much better now (as fast as a halfling or dwarf, reduced for the snow). It won't be terribly long before you get to where the snows aren't as thick anymore. He now moves at a 20' movement rate - way better than the 5-feet-only-with help before. His agility is at or just shy of a normal person, though many stops are needed as gets winded easily enough. Still, where it took weeks for him to be barely cogent and minimally mobile, just in the span of this one day his mind and body have made leaps and bounds (still less than a normal person overall, but still). Shensen has a theory ... conflict. Having the minimal abilities to go out into the world, conflict and exposure to different things has allowed for this growth. Just a theory, though, but the best one she has.

For himself, The Captain is confused by references to a "captain," and he seems to know himself only as "Theron" ... a name seemingly hardwired. In fact, his secret family name of "Grinish" (which even Shensen did not know until told by the senior vaati) is unknown to Theron. He uses telepathy for simple answers, but even that seems to take something out of him, and taxing his body on the trip back now that there is no horse is a problem. Difficult enough that his body freely glows again, shifting colors randomly as before; you learn that with great effort he is able to hold a color in place, or even suppress it, but that is tiring because suppressing that light is a constant thing, not a "turn on/off" switch.

During one of the longer breaks, about 10 minutes or so, of all of those black traceries, tattoos, sigils, etc. on him, it seems as if Theron is in a trance and mutters and almost unconsciously uses his hands and one of the sigils, small as it is, fills in and becomes silvery-blue, glowing, as do his eyes. He looks around, and everyone looks at him. He looks at all of you, slowly, before he tepes (i.e., uses telepathy), "I see magic. I see it in some of your things."

This concentration only lasts for about 3 minutes before he stops, further needing a break for a few more minutes. The glowing of the tracery on his skin has ended, however the area that had this remains with silvery-blue, just not glowing. Shensen whispers to you, "I think he just unlocked the first of his actual powers. He could never see magic before as a warmage; he never had detect magic."
2) Concerning mention of your 'wife' Lady Argentea will ask Shensen about her heritage, for she has not seen her like before. Shensen merely says that she is a variant of half-elf not likely to be seen on this world. She does not mention the fact she is half-drow. She mentions she is one of Desna's divine hunters, an animal speaker, and a soul hunter. The last sounds nefarious, but it means that she has martial skill that allows her to have some power - not necromantic - over those whom she hits in battle with certain maneuvers.

As far as re-supply is concerned, Lady Argentea mentions that she will requisition cold weather gear, mounts, and basic supplies. She will not ask that you pay for those things out of pocket, let alone out of the reward she will make sure you get in addition to the gear you can sell.

Shensen freely mentions that she thinks whatever brought them/you here is what Helden's religious leadership believes is your fate to uncover. As such, she says that she will definitely help Lady Argentea to solve the mystery of this 'winter portal' and its upset of the land, as well as the person's ultimately responsible for Lady Argentea's capture. Her people were slaughtered by fey, not just bandits, so there is definitely more going on.
3-4) Ten-Penny doesn't know about a "mercenary company," but she's interested in learning more magic that might be helpful. She had some bad jobs recently (won't say what or how) and you look like you can help a working girl out. Besides, this Captain guy's magic is fascinating enough. She doesn't have any training in understanding arcane traditions, but she has studied spell theory. The Captain's physical connection to his magic is interesting to her; she recognized that he was casting detect magic, and yet it took him 10 minutes where it takes her a few seconds. He casts like a wizard or sorcerer - extreme somatics so he can't wear armor, obvious verbalizations - and yet there were magical signs beyond the standard that accompanied it, and an aspect of his spellcasting she can't quantify. That said, it's important to note she doesn't join YOU (a la, mercenary company) so much as she attaches her fortunes to Lady Argentea.
Lady Argentea is no artist, not at all. However, there is enough of understanding to recognize that an ancient Oeridian culture once used a sword like this, but in that culture it was called a "falcata." It's a heavy, one-handed blade, and something you could do mediocre with - you are especially skilled with heavy blades in general, though you would be at a disadvantage with a blade like this because it is exotic. You do remember seeing a few in the smith's shop.

Lady Argentea appreciates the offer, but she has no desire to take the time for the forging of a sword.
http://www.odinblades.com/Gallery/gallerypics/Swords/Main/SangriaFalcata/1.jpg