PDA

View Full Version : What do you find in temples?

MrStabby
2016-03-12, 09:49 PM
So I am building a temple complex at the moment and I need a bit of a hand working out what each of the rooms should be about.

So I have an altar hall, a space for a Synod chamber, dormitories for the acolytes, store rooms, libraries/records rooms, a morgue for last rites and a hospital wing for the sick, rooms for the temple guards, a treasury, even a workshop where the stained glass windows are being repaired.

I need about 5 more rooms - three small and two hall sized rooms. Any idea what purpose they should have?

2016-03-12, 09:59 PM
"Doom" is a pretty all-purpose answer for questions regarding temple-building, in my experience.

Strigon
2016-03-12, 10:10 PM
Possibly a place exclusively for the most righteous of individuals, or only the high priests.
A confessional, or something similar.
A place for a holy artifact.
A final resting place for saints.

Talyn
2016-03-12, 10:28 PM
Unless it's a fairly primitive setup, you need a WC or other "necessary" where priests and the faithful can eliminate.

There are dormitories, so you have staff that live there, in which case you need a kitchen and a dining hall. Most temples would also have a more luxuriously appointed guest room for visiting VIPs.

eru001
2016-03-12, 11:12 PM
a gold artifact which when removed triggers a giant boulder of course

sktarq
2016-03-12, 11:48 PM
Most pre abrahamic temples had an icon/statue of the divinity.

I'd recommend an alter, a space for the congragants to gather (was often not the statue room) may include seating if there aree sermons but probably not if they are expected to dance.

Vestry for storage and dressing of the priests/esses.

Reflection pools (often within buildings under a skylight) were common especially in the Med

Purification centres - both for entry into the temple and for major rites not held in main temple. The baptismal fount is the Christian version but may include oils, incense burning, foot/body baths or make up your own. For major rites some may have their own building. Say a Babtisry or sweat house.

Certain other major rites may have their own building too-

Stables-including for still living animal sacrifices

Courtrooms

Libraries

Guard rooms

Vault for holy items (relics/magic items)

Music/choir area

For some - a mortuary

For some - a necropolis or catacomb

For some - welcoming and bedding areas for temple prostitutes

Spaces for augries (like a planetary observatory, special windows to see birds through, holy fires (possibly associated bones)

Record rooms

Possibly school halls

Often skilled workshops - many trades were associated with a temple and temple was the commercial centre of that industry-so wine making or alchemy etc

A hospital wing (for some)

Soup kitchen-for some

Plus all the kitchens, dorms, storage, and sanitation for enough people to crew the above list.

ThinkMinty
2016-03-13, 12:06 AM
If it's one of those old abandoned temples that's since become a dungeon, a few adventurer corpses with loot adds that morbid touch that reminds the player there's stakes afoot n' whatnot.

Iguanodon
2016-03-13, 12:11 AM
What sort of god is the temple to? If it's a god of life or nature, put a giant magic tree somewhere; that's basically mandatory.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-13, 12:31 AM
The holiest place in the temple, which only high ranking clergymen (perhaps only one person!) are allowed to see. It contains the most important and valuable relics, and it is said that the highest priests go there to speak with the god. On special occasions some high-level priests might bring forth relics for presentation or ceremonial purposes (like for important marriages, clergymens' advancement, or official swearing of vassalage), but that's a big deal, and outside of special events people don't really see them much.

Due to the nature of these places, wealthier temples fortify them with guards, strong locks and doors, and even traps or enchantments. As insurance that only the most faithful can pass, an enchantment might require solving a puzzle, riddle, or question based on obscure religious lore. If left unsolved, the enchantment will likely spring some trap on an intruder and blare an alarm calling the guards.

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 12:54 AM
Do a Google image search for temple plan and you should get lots of ideas.

Coidzor
2016-03-13, 01:24 AM
I need about 5 more rooms - three small and two hall sized rooms. Any idea what purpose they should have?

Private offices.

Cupboards, broom closets, and other storage for a specialized purpose in a specific area.

Sub-shrines or small chapels. Places for idols that aren't in the main altar hall.

Small meeting rooms for non-theological business, like discussing the budget with the deacon or bursar or whatever.

Choir rehearsal room.

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-13, 01:53 AM
Don't forget that a larger temple might have redundant rooms for specific rituals so that they can run several sessions side-by-side while still offering relative privacy.

goto124
2016-03-13, 02:05 AM
I read "sessions", and immediately thought of those RPG game shops.

Sir Pippin Boyd
2016-03-13, 02:26 AM
I read "sessions", and immediately thought of those RPG game shops.
The *real* thing the mormons are hiding in their temples is that they're all closeted D&D nerds

TheFamilarRaven
2016-03-13, 02:30 AM
Don't forget the occasional basic substance of malicious intent! People always go back to see the basic substance of malicious intent!

Kami2awa
2016-03-13, 04:42 AM
Given that D&D Clerics tend to be very militant, there may be gymnasia, training rooms or fields, shooting ranges, and an armoury. They had to learn those weapon and armour proficiencies somewhere, after all. A D&D temple may have more in common with a castle than a modern church.

MrStabby
2016-03-13, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the ideas here, some fantastic things.

I think for the bigger rooms the Choir space and an Armoury would fit. An armoury gives an opportunity for some holy themed magic items to barter for/plunder/earn as alignment dictates.

Choir gives the chance to introduce divine bards to the campaign, let music of the gods have a power.

Maybe a small chapel with the body of a saint inside (who can rise as a mummy lord if the temple is defiled).

The school halls are a tricky one, a good signal that going full murder-hobo might be inappropriate, on the other hand may feel a little overboard and coercing the party into not fighting.

Mortuary could be fun, if only for having a place full of dead bodies that are not likely to spring back to life by themselves (whilst providing an ample source of zombies for the temples clerics if things should turn hostile).