PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for a Template for a Warmage

Wafan
2016-03-13, 01:44 AM
I'm currently looking for a template for a Warmage and I was wondering if you had any suggestions.

I would prefer an undead template, to fit the undead campaign theme, but I am more than willing to look at other templates that would work well with spellcasters.

On a side note, make certain not to link any that have more than a +3 lvl adjustment, unless it happens to be a really amazing template.

I know of Vampire (lords of the night and srd versions), necropolatin, Pennaggolan, and Mummy so those are not necessary unless you know of a way to buff them to give them more health, dr, actions, or maneuvers.

atemu1234
2016-03-13, 03:41 AM
I'm currently looking for a template for a Warmage and I was wondering if you had any suggestions.

I would prefer an undead template, to fit the undead campaign theme, but I am more than willing to look at other templates that would work well with spellcasters.

On a side note, make certain not to link any that have more than a +3 lvl adjustment, unless it happens to be a really amazing template.

I know of Vampire (lords of the night and srd versions), necropolatin, Pennaggolan, and Mummy so those are not necessary unless you know of a way to buff them to give them more health, dr, actions, or maneuvers.

Necropolitan is good because you want to keep LA to a minimum for the purpose of preserving spellcasting.

Once you get to a high enough level, Lich is decent.

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-13, 04:57 AM
necropolatin wwith evolved undead a few times is nice. And evolved undead gets a cha boost too.

Inevitability
2016-03-13, 05:08 AM
A few levels in the ghost progression class can be pretty awesome. Incorporeality, ghost powers, and higher HD?

Troacctid
2016-03-13, 08:04 AM
Draconic, Necropolitan, and Mulhorandi Divine Minion are good at +1. Shadow, Phrenic, Half-Fey, Half-Celestial (BoED version), and Saint are good at +2.

noob
2016-03-13, 11:00 AM
Necropolitan is LA 0
And you can get 1d12+8 hp per hit dice if created in an unhallowed zone(+2 hp per hit dice) by a dread necromancer(+2 hp per hit dice) with a dip into necromancer wizard(with the acf allowing to add bonus hp per hit die) and who have a lot of cool corpse crafter feats(including +2 hp per hit dice +4 to initiative that stacks with improved initiative)
Necropolitan is great if you pull 4 books and have the perfect necromancer at hand reach(but he is probably the one doing all the rituals for turning people in necropolitans).

Wafan
2016-03-13, 04:58 PM
A few levels in the ghost progression class can be pretty awesome. Incorporeality, ghost powers, and higher HD?

The problem I had with ghost is that it is difficult to attack things on the material plane. Someone actually recommended phantom to me but currently I haven't checked out.

TiaC
2016-03-13, 06:37 PM
The problem I had with ghost is that it is difficult to attack things on the material plane. Someone actually recommended phantom to me but currently I haven't checked out.

While manifested, you can cast into the material with no penalty. If you have a ghost touch weapon, you can attack at no penalty.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-13, 06:40 PM

What difficulty? You can't deilver touch attacks directly since you can't touch material creatures but that's what the spectral hand spell is made to do. You'll have to jump throug a hoop of some kind to get it on the warmage list but that's not really hard. There's also ghost touch gauntlets, the ghostly grasp feat, picking up a shellcraft manequin and a handful of other options.

Aleolus
2016-03-13, 08:50 PM
What difficulty? You can't deilver touch attacks directly since you can't touch material creatures but that's what the spectral hand spell is made to do. You'll have to jump throug a hoop of some kind to get it on the warmage list but that's not really hard. There's also ghost touch gauntlets, the ghostly grasp feat, picking up a shellcraft manequin and a handful of other options.

That would be a problem, but another would be that, with the exception of Force, Fire and Lightning (of which Fire and Lightning only do half damage), spells cast on the Ethereal plane only affect the ethereal plane, and vice versa. There is a metamagic feat that allows whatever spell you put it on to apply equally to both ethereal and material, but I forget the other details about it

TiaC
2016-03-13, 09:21 PM
That would be a problem, but another would be that, with the exception of Force, Fire and Lightning (of which Fire and Lightning only do half damage), spells cast on the Ethereal plane only affect the ethereal plane, and vice versa. There is a metamagic feat that allows whatever spell you put it on to apply equally to both ethereal and material, but I forget the other details about it

Actually, no class of spells cast on the ethereal plane affect the material. However, you don't care because ghosts can manifest and when manifested they are no longer ethereal, just incorporeal. No one is saying to fight as an unmanifested ghost.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-13, 10:09 PM
Actually, no class of spells cast on the ethereal plane affect the material. However, you don't care because ghosts can manifest and when manifested they are no longer ethereal, just incorporeal. No one is saying to fight as an unmanifested ghost.

Actually, manifest ghosts are both incorporeal on the material and extant on the etheral simultaneously. Nevertheless, as a ghost you can, indeed, manifest and attack with all of your non-touch spells normally with no extra effort. You also have essentially perfect stealth capabilities relative to material plane creatures when you'r'e not manifest.