PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Paladin?

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-19, 05:08 PM
Has anyone done a Paladin that has an arcane instead of a divine theme? Still want to keep the feel of the class, but I'm cutting out all the full casters in my next campaign, and so wanted to have an arcane magic option for the paladin (and also the ranger).

Khoran
2007-06-19, 05:17 PM
You could look into the Duskblade from Player's Handbook II. 6 levels of Casting and a full BAB.

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-19, 05:29 PM
Duskblade has too much casting, and I want to keep the paladin 'feel'.
Still keep the smite evil, divine grace, etc.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-19, 05:33 PM
You could just replace the paladin's spell list with the hexblade's or duskblade's, call it arcane casting, and be done with it.

Khantalas
2007-06-19, 05:38 PM
I thought Hexblades were arcane paladins. Non-good ones, but still...

You can also try getting turning the Knight of the Weave into a base class (which is in Champion of Valor, by the way). It is non-evil knight that devotes its life to preserving magic and stuff.

Tracersmith
2007-06-19, 06:36 PM
if the paladin had an arcane god then just take Book of exalted deeds list list of good spells and fit them in as you see fit.

Dementrius
2007-06-19, 06:57 PM
I thought Hexblades were arcane paladins. Non-good ones, but still...

You can also try getting turning the Knight of the Weave into a base class (which is in Champion of Valor, by the way). It is non-evil knight that devotes its life to preserving magic and stuff.

Or the Knight of the Mystic Fire Paladin substitution levels from the same source - it's also got Spellshattering (Dispel Magic) goodness on the Smite Evil

Khantalas
2007-06-19, 06:59 PM
Well, the problem is, it is still a divine paladin. Has divine spells and divine grace and stuff.

Dementrius
2007-06-19, 07:07 PM
Well, the problem is, it is still a divine paladin. Has divine spells and divine grace and stuff.

Can cast arcane spells though using his spell slots and has a spellbook. Yes, he has divine powers too, but at what point is it not an "arcane paladin", but say, an eldritch knight instead?

You could use it as a template and forbid the casting of divine spells - from memory the turn undead's already gone. Rename "divine grace" to "arcane hardcoreness" and you're good to go.

Abbott
2007-06-20, 07:33 AM
This guy is based on the fact supernatural powers of the paladins must come from somwhere so I chose the arcanest thing I could think of, dragons.

Here is the draconic paladin.

Must still be lawful good (as only those dragons have the patience to put up with human servants, could allow chaotic good as well, I suppose.)
Hit Dice: d10's
BAB: Good
Saves: Fort Good, Ref Poor, Will Good
Skills: 2+ int mod, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Heal, Knowledge (all), Profession, Sense motive, Spot
Special Abilities: Drop Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Turn Undead and Special mount.
Weapon and armour proficiencies: He is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and one exotic weapon of their choice. He is also proficient with light and medium armour, but not with heavy armour and shields.

Replace them with (at the level they get the ability in brackets):

Channel of Draconic Wrath (Smite evil): The draconic paladin can channel the power of a dragon through her weapon. Once per day at first level and once more per day every five levels thereafter, the paladin may add her charisma bonus (if any) to any attack she makes as well as doing an extra d6 of elemental damage of paladin's choice. However, once the choice is made, it cannot be reversed. Every time the paladin gains an additional channeling per day, she does one additional d6 of elemental damage.

Draconic Scales (Divine Grace): The paladin gains a bonus to natural armour equal to her charisma bonus, if any. (This is why I threw in a good will save, this ability is alot weaker than Divine Grace in my opinion.)

Arcane Spellcasting: Has the same spell progression as the divine paladin but chooses spells from the sorcerer/wizard list instead. May not cast spells from the school of necromancy. Also casts on intelligence instead of wisdom and casts spontaneously. Due to rigorous training, the draconic paladin can ignore 30% arcane spell failure (I know this is more powerful than the standard paladin, but it's offset by the fact that he loses turn undead and some armour).

Draconic Blessings (Special Mount): The paladin may sprout draconic wings and fly at a base speed of 40 feet per round(30 if carrying a medium or heavy load or medium or heavy armour, average maneuvarability) for two minutes per paladin level. Sprouting and unsprouting the wings is a full-round action and the paladin may spread the uses out all over the day so long as he does not exceed two minutes per paladin level.
At eleventh level, his flight speed increases to 60 (40 with medium or heavy armour and/or load, good maneuverability)
At fifteenth level, his flight speed increases to 90 (60 with medium or heavy armour and/or load, perfect maneuverability)

I think he turned out pretty ok so long as you change divine health to draconic fortitude or something similar. I think the abilites taken away and granted cancel eachother out.

Vaniel
2007-06-20, 03:03 PM
A paladin is the epitome of the divine. An arcane paladin would not be a paladin, but something else.

If you must, just change the divine spell list to an arcane spell list from another base classes.

/Vaniel