PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good first level spell wand to buy for a ranger

dehro
2016-03-13, 05:34 AM
I'm playing a dwarven ranger 7/scout 7 armed with a rifle and have a budget for two wands. My animal companion is a hawk. I can only cast first level spells.
What two spells would you buy a wand off? I'm guessing there must be a few handy utility spells for rangers.. I tend to have "lay of the land" and "entangle" prepared.
Since the healing characters in my party are remarkably arsey about healing me during or after combat, I'm thinking I should go for a cure light wounds, despite the small impact at this level.
I'm however open to alternative suggestions

Vizzerdrix
2016-03-13, 06:00 AM
What about getting a few healing belts instead? Youll get a good bit of healing out of those, and can swap out expended belts after combat if you need.

Belkarseviltwin
2016-03-13, 07:53 AM
A Wand of Lesser Vigor is straight-up better than a Wand of CLW for out-of-combat healing, as it gives you 11 hp of healing rather than CLW's average of 5.5 and maximum of 9.

Darrin
2016-03-13, 08:39 AM
Instant of power (Forge of War) should be your first pick. For a ranged build, consider guided shot or sniper's shot (both in the Spell Compendium). After that, impeding stones (Cityscape) is usually better than entangle. If none of those work for you, consider blockade (Complete Scoundrel) to block doors/narrow passages, create choke points, provide cover, and of course an endless supply of "I've got wood" jokes.

dehro
2016-03-13, 02:01 PM
What about getting a few healing belts instead? Youll get a good bit of healing out of those, and can swap out expended belts after combat if you need.

I've got a healing belt already.. More isn't very practical.

Also, I should've pointed out that accepted sources of spells are the core books and the spell compendium only. Anything else is out of bounds, with the exception, seeing how we're taking about magic items and not raw spells, of stuff that can be found in the magic item compendium.
Lesser vigor sounds good... But it's not a ranger spell... Can I still cast it/use such a wand?

Lurking drunk
2016-03-13, 04:09 PM
Wands require Use Magic Device DC 20 to activate it, wether you have the spell or not.

I suggest wand of resist elements. Its really handy come to combat with resistance 10 to any element, lasts half hour and 50 charges is more than enough.

Troacctid
2016-03-13, 06:42 PM
I like Guided Shot. Great spell for archers, and it's good to have it on a wand in case you need to cast it more than once in a day.

Wands require Use Magic Device DC 20 to activate it, wether you have the spell or not.

No check is required if the spell is on your class spell list.

Darrin
2016-03-13, 08:04 PM
Hmmm. Only Spell Compendium? I'd probably go with guided shot, unless the DM allows sniper's shot to work with Skirmish. Second pick would probably be embrace the wild for blindsense 30', unless you've already got something similar.

Ikitavi
2016-03-14, 05:20 AM
What is the reload time on your rifle? If it is a long reload time with a very powerful shot, then find out if an Unseen Servant can reload it. I would look into the utility spells, spells which it doesn't really matter much that the caster level is one and the save DC is pretty easy.

Things like Endure Elements, or True Strike or feather fall. Although you do NOT want to be fumbling in a pouch for a rarely used item while you are falling.

dehro
2016-03-14, 11:05 AM
What is the reload time on your rifle? If it is a long reload time with a very powerful shot, then find out if an Unseen Servant can reload it. I would look into the utility spells, spells which it doesn't really matter much that the caster level is one and the save DC is pretty easy.

Things like Endure Elements, or True Strike or feather fall. Although you do NOT want to be fumbling in a pouch for a rarely used item while you are falling.

I get to make my scout-necessary movements, reload on the move and fire off one shot with 2d6 damage + 4d6 or 6d6 skirmish additional damage, depending on movement.
if I am stationary, I still get off one shot unless I expend charges of belt of battle or similar stuff, which I have yet to try (I think at most 2 shots is what I can expect).

Eisfalken
2016-03-14, 08:21 PM

No, that's wrong. DMG, pg. 213, "Using Items" section.

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. This means that if a wizard picks up a spell trigger activation item (such as a wand or a staff ) and that item stores a wizard spell, she knows how to use it. Specifically, anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.