PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Feedback to Rebalancing (Crafting, Races, Feats, TWF, Spells, etc.)

Skylivedk
2016-03-13, 09:44 AM
Hello Playground!

We are about to start a new campaign, where I will have the honour of DM'ing.

In that regard, I'd like to post some of the campaign settings and homebrew and get some feedback.

Especially I'd love to hear if any of my changes breaks game-balance. In particular, I'd love feedback on the crafting system and in regards to the arcane cyborg gnome.

First of all: the major change in my setting is that we reintroduce magic items into the economy.

Secondly: the way magic items and crafting are introduced into the economy (slight BioShock inspiration) lends itself to a dark fantasy setting where human greed will lead to pain and bloody deaths.

Thirdly: I've been inspired by homebrew from others. In particular I would like to thank Kryx for his DPR-charts and homebrew. I use some of his suggestions and my TWF-modification is highly inspired by his rend-feature.

Contents

1. General Information and the Major Changes
2. Magic Items and Crafting
3. Arcane Cyborg (Rock Gnome Variant)
4. Extra Level 1 Feat and Feat Tweaks
5. Combat: Two-Weapon Fighting, Versatile Fighting, Charging and Flanking
6. Intelligence Modifier Buff
7. Spells
8. Party Composition

1. General Information and the Major Changes
The campaign setting will be (very) loosely based on the Forgotten Realms. Due to the following changes, the setting will be dark fantasy. We have a Rules as Fun-philosophy.

The major change in our setting is that you can harvest mana which can be used for crafting magic items.

You can harvest mana in 2 ways:

1. You let a spellcaster crystalize mana through 8-hour seances.

2. You drain a (recently) dead spell-caster of his mana.

I'm currently thinking that:

a) one level 4 full caster can crystalize enough mana during 1-year to create a magic item around the power level of a +1 weapon (or +1d4 dmg which will probably be more common... I'd rather not give too many +1 to hit items to avoid breaking bounded accuracy). That would be 200 shards of the lowest quality (so around 0.5 shard a day). 1 shard is commonly traded for 10 gp. (greater shards, necessary for more potent enchantments, are rarely traded for GP).

b) If you harvest the body of a level 4 full caster, you'd get what he produces in 3-months.

c) Different casters produce different mana for different enchantments. Sorcerers' mana would be used for offensive items (also goes for Wizards' mana, but with slightly more utility on Wizards' mana), Bards' mana for social interaction and illusions, Druids' mana for utility and skills, Clerics' and Paladins' mana for defensive buffs and heals and Warlocks would generate mana necessary for intelligent/soulbound items.

d) Everybody can be harvested for a little bit of mana (yes, human sacrifices à la the Aztecs will be a thing)... But casters significantly more.

e) I'm open to suggestions regarding scaling of magic items, but I'm currently working with the scale found in 3e (+2 being worth 4 times as much as +1).

I'm looking forward to seeing the dynamics of this setting.. I believe this economic factor should easily generate tons of plots and paranoia. Also this will, naturally, greatly affect guild structure and power alliances. I predict monks, druids and rogues forming alliances, massive persecution of sorcerers and mages, etc.

2. Magic Items and Crafting

In general, I'd have way more of the quirky items and way more activated items.

So less passive buffs and more

Examples:
In Your Shoes "Once per short rest you can change place with a creature within 60 ft if the creature fails a WIS DC 14"
Unburstable Bubble Blower [Misc.] "You can blow soap bubbles that float in the air. Each bubble can carry 500 pounds and has 5 hp and 15 ac"
The Hook [Throwing Spear] "Range 60 ft / 120 ft. +1 to hit. 1d6 piercing damage. 1/short rest: as part of a succesful attack on a target within 60 ft., you can attempt to pull the creature to melee distance (5 ft.). The target must succeed on a strength saving throw (DC= attacker's proficiency bonus+8+strength modifier, or be pulled".

[B]3. Arcane Cyborg (Rock Gnome Variant

One of my players wants to play an arcane cyborg rock gnome.

Instead of being able to build small trinkets, the Rock Gnome Arcane Cyborg can activate parts of his cyborg body for the following effects. Each effect lasts a minute. Once the minute is over, the cyborg is somewhat disadvantaged and needs to be fixed before going back to normal.

Eye: detect magic, 1 minute. After: disadvantage on all perception checks. 20 minutes to fix.
Arms: reach, 1 minute. After: -2 on all attack rolls. 20 minutes to fix.
Extend-o leg. 10 ft extra movement speed. After: -5 movement speed. 20 minutes to fix.

His big down-sided is that his character is addicted to magic. To function normally he needs the mana of a newly harvested caster of his own level every month. I imagine giving him other functions for his cyborg parts as the campaign progresses, but that will also increase his burn rate.

The character is IMO, from a min-max perspective, still behind the power curve of all the other players (ie the Ftr1/Warlock2 Polearm Master).

4. Extra Level 1 Feat and Feat Tweaks
I give all players a level 1 feat from the following list (of feats, I thought were not seeing enough play):

Actor
Athlete
Dungeon Delver
Durable
Grappler (with +1 str)
Healer
Keen Mind
Linguist
Martial Adept
Medium Armor Master (with +1 agi)
Savage Attacker (with +1 str)
Tavern Brawler

5. Combat: Two-Weapon Fighting, Versatile Fighting, Charging and Flanking

Two-Weapon Fighting (thank you, Kryx
At level 11, you have access to the extra attack feature and hit with both weapons, you can add your proficiency bonus to damage.

Two-weapon Fighting Style: you can use bigger weapons without a penalty and get +1 to hit when Two-Weapon Fighting.
Dual-Wielder: you can sheathe two weapons instead of one. You can add your ability modificer to your off-hand. At level 11, you can add your proficiency bonus to damage if you hit with both weapons (if you have an extra attack you can double your proficiency bonus to damage)

Versatile Fighting: I allow GWM to be used with versatile weapons. This allows halflings and gnomes to use GWM... not that they're all that great at it anyway.

Charging: Charger is a combat option available to everyone, phrased as: "If you take the Dash action during your turn and move 15 ft in a straight line towards an enemy, you can take a bonus action to make a melee attack where you add your proficiency bonus to damage"

Ready Action: Ready Action is changed into being like the old Delay Action (I don't understand why a spell-caster should be allowed to ready a full spell, yet a martial class could only make 1 attack, so... changed).

Flanking: Flanking provides a +1 to hit.

6. Intelligence Modifier Buff

Intelligence gives an extra language or tool proficiency for every bonus modifier. Mental stats are in general more important in my setting (low wisdom characters are not strong under pressure, low int - welll.. complexity really isn't your thing), but even with the inherent campaign buff, it annoyed me that Intelligence provided almost no mechanical bonus. Hence languages and tool proficiencies.

7. Spells
Simulacrum: We change Simulacrum. I'm not sure to what, but probably putting a maximum cap on the level of spells the clone can cast.
:
Some of the other spells will be changed as Kryx has done. Conjure Woodland Beings will be a DM-call (and pixies are CR 1).
Scorching Ray will get a damage buff to each ray (from abilities such as the sorcerer's)
Sorcerers will get more spells (as per Kryx' origin spell list).

8. Party Composition

Currently, the party starts at level 3 with 27 point buy (plus the feat mentioned earlier). They're 5 members strong and include:

Eldritch Knight, Rock Gnome Variant (Arcane Cyborg). Tank
Devoid of emotions and addicted to arcane energy, the formerly good-hearted Kook has been turned into something he'd previously called a monster. He was born a normal life-loving gnome. After his village was attacked, plundered, pillaged and burned to the ground, Kook was found more dead than alive. A Golem-obsessed mage saved his life, but doomed his gnomanity. The morning after Kook learned how to harvest mana, his master woke up dead

Moon Druid, Wood-Elf. Healer, 2nd Tank, CC
Obsessed with the hunt and the pleasure derived from his enhanced senses, Beodroth was banished from his wood-elf tribe once his shape-shifting powers started manifesting. The wood elves would have welcomed another druid, but they could not see past the fact that Beodroth became more beast than elf. The limit of their patience was reached the day Beodroth was found gorging himself on the foal of a Unicorn. Beodroth later joined the druids of Malar. He is constantly trying to find and cultivate more challenging prey. Some think that that is the only reason why he is currently travelling with others...

Fighter 1 / Warlock 2, Human Variant. DPS, Tank, Party Face
Hailing from a Demon-Worshipping tribe where honour in combat is all that matters, a young fighter chose to bind himself to the rulers of his ancestors to gain greater power. The deal was to make him the most powerful of his tribe members. After the pact was agreed upon, the young warlock blacked out. Regaining his senses, he found himself surrounded by his brutally murdered tribe. Seething with anger, the young man ventured forth in the world: to prove his honour and one day challenge the demon who has claimed the lives of his tribes men and parts of his soul

Diviner/Abjurer 3, High-Elf (Perhaps Eladrin) Utility, CC.
A master of contingencies, this ambitious elf foresaw nothing, but boredom if he were to remain in the Elven lands. Boredom, and the slow, but inevitable destruction of his race. The elf decided to take a more proactive approach to destruction and travelled to learn about the greed of humans and discover arcane secrets probably best left alone. His relationship to the Arcane Energy Addicted Rock Gnome is a fragile alliance at best. For now, the elf knows the partnership will increase their likelihood of success, so for now, they travel together

Unknown, Unknown. The last player is yet to choose a class. I'm hoping for a cleric or bard. They lack healing, trap circumvention

In regards to the party, I'd like to hear if you have any ideas to challenging encounters (PM), and how I can prevent the moon druid from stealing the spotlight too often. Also I'd love to get insights into how DM's manage evil groups, especially in regards to discouraging murder-hobo'ing while still allowing players to be plenty evil.

The druid took Actor and has 14 charisma (for RP-reasons.. being addicted to killing things taught him to hide his true nature). The Warlock/Fighter has 16 charisma and the Diviner/Abjurer 12 - so the group should be rather strong in social scenarios.

I see traps being their biggest current weakness.. And the fact that the druid is the only confirmed Healing Word-caster they have.

Of course internal disputes, bad reputations and all of them being casters are all likely reasons for being brutally murdered.

Lollerabe
2016-03-15, 11:34 AM
Since I'm the part-golem-gnome in question I'll say this: bump.

As a side note: medium armor master (+1 agi) and durable are also on the start feat list.

We also play with 27 PB no roof on max (though more than a natural 16 would be discouraged from my side)

Markoff Chainey
2016-03-15, 11:57 AM
here a link to our quite extensive houserules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LSajRD9RTJchs5EZDIYorm-0YBlLUHAJp6sKrCo9Ozw/edit?usp=sharing)...

I think you should fix some of the broken spells.

Your magic crafting idea looks solid, though needs some refinement so that you as a DM knows how much money can a char of what lvl make with this crafting and how much mana can be harvested and stuff, otherwise this has potential to get out of hand. - Your lvl 4 thing seems fun and solid to me.

I would not allow feats at 1st lvl that raise an attribute. This way a player can start with an 18 and that would be quite an advantage and turns that feat into a "must take or be stupid".

I will look into the cyborg later :) the rest seems very good as a start.

Cheers!

Skylivedk
2016-03-15, 01:50 PM
Thank you very much, Markoff.

Very impressive list of house rules! And super nice with the inter-linking. I think incorporating the entirety would be too much to swallow for my two new players, so can I please ask you, which house rules have had the biggest impact in terms of making the game more fun to play?

Sigreid
2016-03-15, 03:57 PM
You should be able to harvest mana from children through an unspeakably horrific ritual. The BBEG is powerful because he is vile enough to amass power that way. Bonus points for using the spell point system and 1 dram of mana is 1 spell point.

Theodoxus
2016-03-15, 05:47 PM
Mana harvesting reminds me of spirit harvesting from Obsidian. Definitely a interesting idea... if my players weren't well versed in Obsidian, I'd consider using it myself...

indemnity
2016-03-15, 10:21 PM
Who designs the magic items? You or the players?

A single randomly assigned item from a loot table combined with limited purchases using your alt-currency at Fantasy CostCo (http://theadventurezone.tumblr.com/post/134492216267/fantasy-costco-products-round-3/) works well on The Adventure Zone podcast.

Very important that those "fun" properties find excuses to be used regularly or the players will get annoyed. Also be prepared to have encounters hilariously broken by those items too.

Markoff Chainey
2016-03-16, 04:45 AM
Thank you very much, Markoff.

Very impressive list of house rules! And super nice with the inter-linking. I think incorporating the entirety would be too much to swallow for my two new players, so can I please ask you, which house rules have had the biggest impact in terms of making the game more fun to play?

Thanks! I am glad you like it.

There is much fluff and stuff we just added for fun, but some things that we found quite severe and in need of a "fix". In order of priority, I personally would rank it like that:

- Spells! - basically all of the listed. There are mostly small changes to the spell texts, but have a big impact in balance.
- Feat GWM and SS
- the whole section "general interaction and game rules" - most of that is only clarifications, but it is very important that all of the players and the DM are exactly on board with the details how stuff like stealth and vision works because many character builds are based on that stuff.
- Ban Variant Human + everybody gets a feat at lvl 1 (that does not raise an attribute!)
- Alternative Weapon Table
- Rest of the Feats
- Races and Classes
- Rest :)

Markoff Chainey
2016-03-16, 04:50 AM
Moon Druid, Wood-Elf. Healer, 2nd Tank, CC
Obsessed with the hunt and the pleasure derived from his enhanced senses, Beodroth was banished from his wood-elf tribe once his shape-shifting powers started manifesting. The wood elves would have welcomed another druid, but they could not see past the fact that Beodroth became more beast than elf. The limit of their patience was reached the day Beodroth was found gorging himself on the foal of a Unicorn. Beodroth later joined the druids of Malar. He is constantly trying to find and cultivate more challenging prey. Some think that that is the only reason why he is currently travelling with others...

I did miss that... We had huge troubles with a moon druid because its incredibly damn effective at first and damn boring quite soon. I highly recommend that you look into an alternative solution to wildshape. We use the version of Easy_Lee (it's on the forum somewhere and in the appendix in the houserules I posted)

PeteNutButter
2016-03-16, 05:58 AM
A note on flanking. The reason they took it out of the basic rules is due to the ability to freely move in threatened zones in 5e. In 3.5 players would have to slowly position themselves via 5ft steps or provoke AoOs and/or not get a full attack. 5e has neither of these limitations meaning flanking is practically ALWAYS ON for the PCs.

Giving it a mere +1 might not be too bad. I'm just pointing it out, as a lot of people like to include it as a throwback to previous editions, but may not realize why it's not in the base rules.

Skylivedk
2016-03-16, 11:26 PM
You should be able to harvest mana from children through an unspeakably horrific ritual. The BBEG is powerful because he is vile enough to amass power that way. Bonus points for using the spell point system and 1 dram of mana is 1 spell point.

Mass sacrifices is definitely a thing. Kids, pixies, unicorns, elves, things that glitter in the dark and 4/5 out of five players have one thing in common: they can get it.

Who designs the magic items? You or the players?

A single randomly assigned item from a loot table combined with limited purchases using your alt-currency at Fantasy CostCo (http://theadventurezone.tumblr.com/post/134492216267/fantasy-costco-products-round-3/) works well on The Adventure Zone podcast.

Very important that those "fun" properties find excuses to be used regularly or the players will get annoyed. Also be prepared to have encounters hilariously broken by those items too.

We both do. Player suggestions and creativity are both encouraged. I'll check the items. I usually don't give items randomly though (and my "random" list of items all have plot hooks).

I don't fear encounters being broken by gimmick items (I can make more encounters and/or remove items), as much as the moon druid just being better at too many things... I'll look into the house rules for shape shifting. On the other hand I don't want to nerf him into the ground

A note on flanking. The reason they took it out of the basic rules is due to the ability to freely move in threatened zones in 5e. In 3.5 players would have to slowly position themselves via 5ft steps or provoke AoOs and/or not get a full attack. 5e has neither of these limitations meaning flanking is practically ALWAYS ON for the PCs.

Giving it a mere +1 might not be too bad. I'm just pointing it out, as a lot of people like to include it as a throwback to previous editions, but may not realize why it's not in the base rules.

Flanking is for me not so much a throwback as a minimum realism requirement. It's simple too essential a part of combat for me to completely ignore it... Being swarmed by goblins should mess with you somehow.

Skylivedk
2016-03-16, 11:28 PM
Almost forgot. The last member is a thief archetype ****-starting rogue with Healer. I look forward to having him get them in and out of trouble so often, they'll constantly be considering both sacrificing him and giving him their first born as a thank you

Skylivedk
2016-03-20, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the feedback. I can't remember having a group RP'ing this well, so I decided to record the progress of our dear murder hobos, sociopaths and demon-possessed PTSD-suffering madman in a story which you can find here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QV998_aQhAz-2UyJHIx35kwaHsaoIxl_6cHRWetIur8/edit?usp=sharing).

I'll continue to use this thread for balance questions and (surprise!), I have one:

Smoke sticks and tangle root. I loved them in 3.x, and I want my Fast Hands Thief to be able to use them.

For now, I'm thinking they should be around 25-50 GP and function like Fog Cloud and Entangle, but with 10 ft radius instead. Thoughts?

Skylivedk
2016-03-20, 05:48 AM
Anyone who has tried both Malifice's fix for Wild shape:

A Druid in Wild shape retains the mental ability scores (Cha, Wis and Int), proficiencies, class features, Hit Dice and hit points of his normal form. The Druid gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con), size, AC, proficiencies, attacks, movement modes, speed, senses and special abilities of the wild shaped form.
Druids gain a pool of temporary HP equal to (Druid level x 2) whenever they assume a Wild shape from their natural form.
At 2nd level, a Moon Druid in Wild shape may calculate his AC by adding his proficiency bonus to the base forms AC.
A Druid in Wild shape cannot use Multi attack if the form has the ability to do so. When a Druid in such a form takes the attack action, he may only use one of the listed attacks under Multi attack unless he also has the extra attack class feature. A character with at least 5 levels in Druid ignores this restriction, and can freely use multi attack if the beast he wild shapes into has the multi attack ability.
A Druid may use either his own proficiency bonus or the beasts proficiency bonus (whichever is higher) for any melee or ranged attack, skill or save that either the Druid or the beast are proficient in. The Druid retains his own proficiencies (however some may be unusable in his new form) and gains the creatures proficiencies in its listed skills, saves and with its natural attacks. If the new form has abilities that require a saving throw to resist, the Druid may substitute his own Spell attack DC for the DC of the special attack.

AND Easy_lee's?

At the end of a long-rest, choose one land form (clear choice with DM). You gain additional aquatic and flight forms at the appropriate levels (moon druids eventually get a fourth form: choose an elemental). Note: explicitly enables DM to reject forms which he/she feels are too strong at a given level, such as brown bear at level 2. Number of forms scales with level, instead of having 2/short rest all the way until 20.
You may shift in and out of your forms at will as an action (or bonus action if moon). Each time you do so, any conditions or HP loss the form has sustained are retained until the next time you finish a short rest. Note: no more double bear or double mammoth, no cheese-healing, but forms can be used in more situations.
Death in a form reverts you to your humanoid form and stuns you for one round. You may not use the dead form again until you finish a short rest.
If a form's HP is lower than 4*(druid level), you may use 4*(druid level) instead. Note: same as BM Ranger pet
May optionally recalculate skill bonuses in forms using your native proficiency bonus and the form's relevant statistic.
Moon druids: if your spell attack is higher than a form's attack bonus, you may use your spell attack in that form instead of its native melee attack bonus. Note: same attack progression as cantrips. Computing this off of proficiency plus beast state would yield mammoths with an attack DC of +13 due to the mammoth's 24 strength. Many other forms have strength and dexterity that are too low at later levels, so using spell bonus is the best option here.
Moon druids: if your spell DC is higher than a form's special ability DCs (such as pounce for panthers), you may use your spell DC in that form instead of its native DC. Note: Scales with spells so fewer numbers to track
New capstone: once per long-rest, refresh the HP and conditions on all forms, as though you finished a short rest

and can share their feedback on the difference between the two?