PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed i am new-- ability use magic device --- as a rogue---the Goggles of the Golden Sun

Omey
2016-03-13, 10:14 AM
for example i want to use as a rogue Raiment of the Four the Goggles of the Golden Sun it has 3 firefall per day

Body Slot: Face
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint; (DC 17) evocation
Activation: — and standard (mental)
Weight: —

In addition, three times per day you can activate these goggles and sacrifice a prepared spell or spell slot of 3rd level or higher to use fireball (as the spell; Reflex DC 14 half), using your own caster level or that of the goggles, whichever is higher.
The fireball created by the gloves resembles a hurtling, exploding comet.

the question is can i use this object as a rougue with the ability use magic device?

Zaq
2016-03-13, 10:27 AM
AFB, but I don't think the RAW supports that, since UMD's "emulate class feature" is usually for things like "I can cast third level spells" and not "I have a third level spell slot that I am expending right now."

Depending on the party makeup, it might not be too OP to allow, but I don't think it's supported by RAW.

Jack_Simth
2016-03-13, 11:12 AM
AFB, but I don't think the RAW supports that, since UMD's "emulate class feature" is usually for things like "I can cast third level spells" and not "I have a third level spell slot that I am expending right now."

Depending on the party makeup, it might not be too OP to allow, but I don't think it's supported by RAW.
It's debatable, but one of the specific examples in the Player's Handbook (not the SRD) for "Emulate a class feature" involves activating an item that requires expending turning attempts to use (start of page 86), so the intent that it can be used that way is probably there, even if the later wording makes it ambiguous.

DarkSoul
2016-03-13, 11:20 AM
Generally I would agree with Zaq, but Jack_Smith makes a good point.

Following the example Jack refers to in the PHB (page 86), it appears that to activate the goggles you would need to emulate a wizard's ability to cast a 3rd-level spell. Wizards gain 3rd-level spells at level 5, so your UMD DC would be 25 (required wizard level + 20).