PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal

Sir cryosin
2016-03-13, 12:28 PM
If I was a gnome warlock pact of the chain with a pseudodragon. Can said dragon pick me up and fly around while I rain eldritch blasts from above. While laughing like a evil super villain?

Sir cryosin
2016-03-13, 12:29 PM
And if someone was shotin back would said dragon have 1/2 or 3/4 cover from my body in front of shot?

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 12:32 PM
How much do you weigh? A pseudodragon has a Strength of 6 and is tiny, so it can carry up to 45 pounds.

RickAllison
2016-03-13, 12:38 PM
How much do you weigh? A pseudodragon has a Strength of 6 and is tiny, so it can carry up to 45 pounds.

According to the PHB, gnomes average around 40 pounds. Be a lightweight gnome or don't carry much and it could work.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 12:50 PM
That... seems legit. Your Pseudodragon would get 1/2 cover though, since that's what a creature grants. And a +2 ac just means archers are aiming for a 15 ac target with 7 health... the majority of archers will hit that and knock it unconscious in a single shot. And then you fall. Longbows have a range of 150/600, which means if your Pseudodragon picks you up and dashes directly up, they'll get 120 ft. Not good odds. And beyond that, even a normal archer just has disadvantage. If three archers are trying to hit a 15 ac target, disadvantage won't really be an issue. And then you'll fall, for up to 20d6 damage, unless your dm uses a more sane (and less forgiving) measurement than what's in the book.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-13, 12:53 PM
While laughing like a evil super villain?

Pseudodragons abhor evil, so you should rein in the laughter. Eventually it'll get annoyed and refuse to work with you.

Spectre9000
2016-03-13, 12:56 PM
Pseudodragons abhor evil, so you should rein in the laughter. Eventually it'll get annoyed and refuse to work with you.

Can just imagine the Psuedodragon now... "There he goes again with that evil laugh... I should just drop him... why don't I drop this evil prick? Oh look, he's gonna make quite an impact the rate he's falling."

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 01:10 PM
Can just imagine the Psuedodragon now... "There he goes again with that evil laugh... I should just drop him... why don't I drop this evil prick? Oh look, he's gonna make quite an impact the rate he's falling."

Definitely going to use a sassy Pseudodragon in some campaign.

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 01:12 PM
If your DM uses the variant encumbrance system, you should expect that the pseudodragon won't be flying very fast while it's carrying you.

RickAllison
2016-03-13, 01:14 PM
Is the imp strong enough? Going invisible would be great :smallwink:

Coffee_Dragon
2016-03-13, 01:16 PM
If I was a gnome warlock pact of the chain with a pseudodragon.

Can you even make a pact with a pseudodragon

Is it a really powerful pseudodragon

Does it grant you spells

Does it laugh evilly also

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 01:18 PM
The imp has the same strength, though only 40' flying speed. And invisibility just grants disadvantage if the archers can figure out it's there, which should look pretty obvious (A gnome dangling by something holding up his shirt definitely doesn't look the same as levitate.) "Shoot just above the gnome." Hell, with such an obvious interaction, you could even argue carrying the gnome negates the invisibility, but honestly they'd probably hit it anyway with a couple of shots.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-13, 02:01 PM
Being carried rather than riding? That's not exactly smooth predictable movement, and you're not getting a full range of motion, so I'd feel tempted to give you disadvantage on attack rolls.

RickAllison
2016-03-13, 02:23 PM
The imp has the same strength, though only 40' flying speed. And invisibility just grants disadvantage if the archers can figure out it's there, which should look pretty obvious (A gnome dangling by something holding up his shirt definitely doesn't look the same as levitate.) "Shoot just above the gnome." Hell, with such an obvious interaction, you could even argue carrying the gnome negates the invisibility, but honestly they'd probably hit it anyway with a couple of shots.

Technically, the imp also turns any equipment it carries invisible. By a loose interpretation, the gnome becomes invisible. By a strict interpretation, the gnome's shirt/cloak becomes invisible since it is equipment that the imp is carrying. No obvious hints to the archers, in any case.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-03-13, 02:33 PM
Can you even make a pact with a pseudodragon

Is it a really powerful pseudodragon

Does it grant you spells

The pseudodragon is the pact boon, not the patron.

But now I want someone to write a story about a little pseudodragon... with big ambitions!

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 02:35 PM

No. Pseudodragons have a goodly laugh.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-03-13, 02:40 PM
No. Pseudodragons have a goodly laugh.

What if it takes the Actor feat and grows a twirlable moustache? If it was an oriental pseudodragon it would be halfway there.

Slipperychicken
2016-03-13, 02:50 PM
Technically, the imp also turns any equipment it carries invisible. By a loose interpretation, the gnome becomes invisible. By a strict interpretation, the gnome's shirt/cloak becomes invisible since it is equipment that the imp is carrying. No obvious hints to the archers, in any case.

If a gnome is considered "equipment", then you are probably running a far more interesting game than I.

Theodoric
2016-03-13, 02:58 PM
A pact familiar is still a familiar as in the Find Familiar spell, so it's actually a fiend/fey/celestial spirit with just the form of a pseudodragon (also mentioned in the Pact of the Chain class feature). As per the spell, a familiar always obeys your commands. So, as long as nobody hits it, you'd be fine.

Also, because the familiar can be a fiend or fey, I don't see how your familiar can't be your patron in pseudodragon form.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 03:09 PM
If a gnome is considered "equipment", then you are probably running a far more interesting game than I.

Are gnomes improvised weapons? If I have tavern brawler, do I have gnome proficiency? If I take dual wielder, can I draw two gnomes at once? If I have two weapon fighting style, can I add my strength mod to my off-hand gnome's damage? Or is a gnome a heavy weapon? I guess I'd need great weapon master so I can power attack and cleave with my gnomes.
If I'm a paladin, can I divine smite with my gnome?

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 03:18 PM
Are gnomes improvised weapons? If I have tavern brawler, do I have gnome proficiency? If I take dual wielder, can I draw two gnomes at once? If I have two weapon fighting style, can I add my strength mod to my off-hand gnome's damage? Or is a gnome a heavy weapon? I guess I'd need great weapon master so I can power attack and cleave with my gnomes.
If I'm a paladin, can I divine smite with my gnome?

Heavy weapons start at 6 pounds, so I would definitely think a 40 pound gnome would qualify. As an improvised weapon, a gnome should do 1d4 bludgeoning damage. The PHB actually mentions a dead goblin as an example of an improvised weapon, so a live gnome isn't too much of a stretch.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 03:31 PM
Heavy weapons start at 6 pounds, so I would definitely think a 40 pound gnome would qualify. As an improvised weapon, a gnome should do 1d4 bludgeoning damage. The PHB actually mentions a dead goblin as an example of an improvised weapon, so a live gnome isn't too much of a stretch.

So, project gnome-wielding paladin is a go?

"Despair, villain. I wield a weapon of true justice, the might of goodness, the arm of Pelor himself... Bitz."

If Bitz is a spellcaster, that makes him a magic weapon, right? And if he readies an action to swing while swung, can he divine smite too?

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 03:43 PM
So what if I have a goliath paladin, who wields a human paladin, who in turn is wielding a gnome paladin? Can I stack all three smites?

CantigThimble
2016-03-13, 03:45 PM
So what if I have a goliath paladin, who wields a human paladin, who in turn is wielding a gnome paladin? Can I stack all three smites?

And to get auto crits, who needs to be an assassin? The Goliath? The halfling? All three?

JoeJ
2016-03-13, 03:46 PM
Also, if the gnome wields a pseudodragon as a weapon, does it count as magical?

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 03:58 PM
The gnome could wield another gnome as long as someone knows enlarge/reduce. For that matter, another goliath could wield the whole stack in that case. All would need to be paladins with tavern brawler (except for the last one). They'd also need to all be assassins to all get the auto-crit.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 04:03 PM
Back to the original topic though, the pseudodragon isn't attacking with his equipped gnome, so he won't need tavern brawler. However, the pseudodragon could fly the gnome up, and then the gnome could grab the pseudodragon and dunk them into the target - with proficiency with tavern brawler. The equipment would become the equipee.

McNinja
2016-03-13, 07:12 PM
This is glorious and I am using every silly suggestion in my game from now on.

UberMagus
2016-03-13, 07:50 PM
I think this might be my favorite thread... :smallbiggrin:

Spectre9000
2016-03-13, 08:13 PM
The gnome could wield another gnome as long as someone knows enlarge/reduce. For that matter, another goliath could wield the whole stack in that case. All would need to be paladins with tavern brawler (except for the last one). They'd also need to all be assassins to all get the auto-crit.

"Imma beat a motherf***er with a motherf***er!"

Think of a character whose weapon of choice is the first enemy he gets within arms reach of. He uses that enemy to kill the other enemies.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 09:48 PM
"Imma beat a motherf***er with a motherf***er!"

Think of a character whose weapon of choice is the first enemy he gets within arms reach of. He uses that enemy to kill the other enemies.

Katamari Damacy, the character.

Markoff Chainey
2016-03-14, 04:37 AM
I wonna play a bard in the party with a gnome swinging barbarian...

I would create a hymne that would start like this: "And Onan, the great barbarian, drew his magical Gnome named **** and slapped him on the Giant Dragons head until it was very dead..." :smallbiggrin:

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-03-14, 08:04 AM
Definitely going to use a sassy Pseudodragon in some campaign.

It's been done. (https://youtu.be/7AT4FuGxTMg?t=71)

Joe the Rat
2016-03-14, 09:37 AM
I usually refer to this as the "Jetpack Halfling" conundrum (per the 2014 Extra Life game where it actually happened). It's rules legal (to be carried as such), but it just feels wrong.

Since you need to be one size smaller than a creature to use it as a mount, my headrule is that you cannot effectively "carry" something one size larger than yourself. Dimensions are too big in every direction - that thing is gonna drag. On the ground, it just means that you're plate-mail-wearing companion is gonna have his limbs bouncing if the halfling is carrying him (though every group of players I've ever met would have the fighter be pulled by his feet so his head can bounce off the floor hysterically). In the air, that means he's too much drag - you're going down, but going down slowly. Instead of Jetpack Pseudodragon, you get Paraglider Pseudodragon. You have to start on top of a tower and work your way down. But really, if you're going to be laughing maniacally, shouldn't you start by standing on a high point, silhouetted against the sky? (Dramatic wing-spring-out optional)

Exception: If the flier can hover, it can Chinook your tuchus around so long as it can lift you.

Spectre9000
2016-03-14, 09:42 AM
I usually refer to this as the "Jetpack Halfling" conundrum (per the 2014 Extra Life game where it actually happened). It's rules legal (to be carried as such), but it just feels wrong.

Since you need to be one size smaller than a creature to use it as a mount, my headrule is that you cannot effectively "carry" something one size larger than yourself. Dimensions are too big in every direction - that thing is gonna drag. On the ground, it just means that you're plate-mail-wearing companion is gonna have his limbs bouncing if the halfling is carrying him (though every group of players I've ever met would have the fighter be pulled by his feet so his head can bounce off the floor hysterically). In the air, that means he's too much drag - you're going down, but going down slowly. Instead of Jetpack Pseudodragon, you get Paraglider Pseudodragon. You have to start on top of a tower and work your way down. But really, if you're going to be laughing maniacally, shouldn't you start by standing on a high point, silhouetted against the sky? (Dramatic wing-spring-out optional)

Exception: If the flier can hover, it can Chinook your tuchus around so long as it can lift you.

This works well then, when using an enemy instead of an ally as your weapon.

krugaan
2016-03-14, 07:17 PM

Alice the gnome bard: I ready an action to grapple when I hit something.

Bob the gnome bard: I ready an action to grapple when I hit something.

Gronk the Barbarian: I pick up Alice and Bob and throw them at the fleeing evil priest.

DM: uh, hit.

Alice and Bob: I grapple! Expertise!

DM: ... the priest fails, he is considered grappled.

Alice: I cast enlarge self!

Bob: I cast silence!

Chet the gnome bard: I ready a polymorph on throw!

Gronk the Barbarian: I throw Chet at the priest!

DM: ... uh ...

Chet the gnome bard: Wonder Twin powers activate, form of... killer whale!

DM: the priest wets himself.

Alice: I watch the priest wet himself.

Bob: I help the priest wet himself.

Chet: Killer whales are already wet, right?

Gronk the Barbarian: I pull a kitchen sink from my bag of holding...

Vogonjeltz
2016-03-14, 08:46 PM

If they're using the encumbrance variant, the Pseudodragon would be encumbered by 30 lbs (dropping its speed by 10 feet) and heavily encumbered at 60 lbs (-20 speed).

Either way, a Gnome Warlock with starting equipment already exceeds 60 lbs (it's upwards of 70-80 lbs).

So, no, the Pseudodragon can't carry the Gnome except, possibly, if the Gnome were to drop everything including clothes. They would also be grappled, so they couldn't use the dodge action and the Pseudodragon's speed would be halved (in addition to the weight reducing movement).

Azreal
2016-03-15, 10:55 AM
The pseudodragon is the pact boon, not the patron.

But now I want someone to write a story about a little pseudodragon... with big ambitions!

I didn't know how much I wanted this before just now.

Douche
2016-03-15, 11:05 AM
Be careful, I once had my pseudodragon carry me and I yelled to the people "Behold! The usher of your doom has come to....... umm.... usher your dooooom!" and the people all laughed at me, for my warlocky beard of horrors was quite mustachioed with all the wax I used to curl it upwards. The sight of a flying gnome was too much for some people, and it caused me much despair as I am quite sensitive about such things. That is why I began to rain down destruction upon them but they were all keeled over laughing, so thusly they were all prone and I had disadvantage on my attack rolls for Eldritch Blast. Summarily, I could not hit them and this only caused them to laugh even more. That is when I died of embarrassment.