PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Death & Dismemberment

Beardtrix
2007-06-19, 05:55 PM
Many apologies if someone has posted this before, or indeed noticed it and not found it amusing. It just made me chuckle heartily when I saw the alternate article for AD&D on wikipedia.

"Accidental death and dismemberment insurance (also known as AD&D) covers death or dismemberment as a result of an accident. In contrast to life insurance, AD&D generally would not pay survivor benefits in the case of death by illness. AD&D premiums are generally cheaper than life insurance because the incidence of death by accident is lower than death by natural causes. Dismemberment refers to the loss of two limbs or the complete loss of sight (ie: blindness), and is a rider (attached endorsement) to a policy."

AD&D premiums are generally lower because accidental death is less common than death by natural causes? Not in the campaigns I run, mate. How many PC's have you had that died of natural causes?

Flying Elephant
2007-06-19, 05:58 PM
Are druids "natural causes"? :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-19, 05:58 PM
I had a character drown once, does that count?

Fax Celestis
2007-06-19, 06:02 PM
I'd think being on the receiving end of a dragon's bite would count as "natural causes."

goat
2007-06-19, 06:22 PM
I've only heard of one character dying of old age, and he started as venerable for RP reasons, and then died 3 years into the campaign after the GM enforced RAW aging rules.

Seffbasilisk
2007-06-19, 06:26 PM
A buddy of mine had a character roll four nat 1's in a row, and died falling off a horse.

Think that counts.

thehothead
2007-06-19, 06:58 PM
That's an accident.

martyboy74
2007-06-19, 07:15 PM
Actually, 'natural' death would be a lot more common in AD&D than 3.5, because there were a ton of spells that aged you 6 month, a year, 2 years, per casting.

Steelwraith
2007-06-19, 07:20 PM
So if you were killed then raised, do you still get paid?

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-19, 07:26 PM
"Those benefits are only payable to next of kin, Kevyn."

"I cloned myself. What closer kin could I possibly have than me?"

martyboy74
2007-06-19, 07:32 PM
So if you were killed then raised, do you still get paid?

Of course! Create an unnamed <insert swiss-like country> bank, have the funds transferred there, and after you get rezzed, snag the loot.

Yiel
2007-06-19, 07:35 PM
Are druids "natural causes"? :smalltongue:

I'm sure they would include a claws for that in the policy. :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-06-19, 07:46 PM
"Those benefits are only payable to next of kin, Kevyn."

"I cloned myself. What closer kin could I possibly have than me?"

Victory for Inyssius Tor: Schlock Mercenary always wins.

herrhauptmann
2007-06-19, 07:54 PM
Barbarian attacks the goblin.
Fumbles. (looks up critical hit and fumble chart...)
Rolls again.
Critical hit.
Roll to confirm critical. Confirmed.
roll target. Self.
(looks up critical hit chart again)
roll to determine area hit.
Neck.
Result. The first level barbarian decapitated himself trying to kill the first goblin he ever saw.

We never use that chart now.

Orzel
2007-06-19, 07:55 PM
My rogue once went "Screw this. The bad guy's a fighter", left, and died in his estate of old age.

Diggorian
2007-06-19, 08:44 PM
A gaming group of mine was about to disband. I ran the last adventure which took place a hundred years into the future of the setting. My PC was a venerable aasimar that charged the party of new PCs, descendants our original party, with a heroic mission.

He died of old age while they were gone, but left a letter of encouragement and faith in their victory. Tears were jerked.