PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How can I go about improving a magic weapon?

LastCenturion
2016-03-13, 07:14 PM
In a campaign I just started, I play a Aarakocra Sorcerer 1/Druid 1. During the fourth encounter, facing three sharks, I found a trident on a weapons rack with the at-will ability to cast Dominate Beast on any aquatic target. The sad part is, the weapon is a +0 trident. Given that I want to keep the same base weapon (The DM has told me I can't transfer the properties), what's the best way to use it functionally? And is there a way to allow me to use my Dex with it, even though it isn't a finesse weapon? I'm looking mostly for ways to increase the magic bonus, such as make it a +X trident of Dominate Aquatic Beast but untyped bonuses work too. If it changes anything, I'm planning to further multiclass into Monk and Wizard (Or anything else I find that uses a staff).

oxybe
2016-03-13, 07:18 PM
this is in 5th ed right? unfortunately the game doesn't really handle player made or modified magic items outside of "ask your gm".

LastCenturion
2016-03-13, 07:23 PM
this is in 5th ed right? unfortunately the game doesn't really handle player made or modified magic items outside of "ask your gm".

Yes, 5th edition. I'll ask the DM if I can use my absurd spellcasting multiclasses to enchant stuff. Thanks for the advice.

greenstone
2016-03-13, 08:04 PM
A +0 magic item is still valuable because it does magical damage.

If you are fighting a creature that has resistance to non-magical damage (an elemental, for example), that weapon does full damage.

Additionally, finding *any* magic item at character level 2 is pretty good. In my campaign, the party got their first magic item at level 3 and it was level 5 before every character had a magic item. Additionally , those items that allowed you to cas things generally allowed you to cast it once before a long rest, not at will.

In short - that trident is a useful item for any character up to (and maybe into) their teens.

Thrudd
2016-03-13, 08:18 PM
It is up to the DM whether it is possible at all, and if it is it would be homebrew rules. If it is possible, I would expect the ability won't be available to you, personally, until you are much higher level.
You should understand, though, that having a certain bonus on your magic item is not something necessary for it to remain relevant in the game. Unlike 3e, 5e's numbers do not climb infinitely. You could do perfectly well with no magic bonus for the whole game, as powerful monsters still have reachable AC. You are lucky, in fact, that you have this magic item, or any magic item, at level 1. It has a very useful ability.

LastCenturion
2016-03-13, 08:23 PM
A +0 magic item is still valuable because it does magical damage.

If you are fighting a creature that has resistance to non-magical damage (an elemental, for example), that weapon does full damage.

Additionally, finding *any* magic item at character level 2 is pretty good. In my campaign, the party got their first magic item at level 3 and it was level 5 before every character had a magic item. Additionally , those items that allowed you to cast things generally allowed you to cast it once before a long rest, not at will.

In short - that trident is a useful item for any character up to (and maybe into) their teens.

You make a good point about resistance to nonmagic. But basically I should just keep bumping my strength to keep a good attack bonus? That's kind of sad, because it means I need to keep up five different stats. Speaking of, does it work for me to be in four classes? My plan for level 20 is Druid 7/Monk 3/Sorcerer 6/Wizard 3.

Thrudd
2016-03-13, 08:30 PM
You make a good point about resistance to nonmagic. But basically I should just keep bumping my strength to keep a good attack bonus? That's kind of sad, because it means I need to keep up five different stats. Speaking of, does it work for me to be in four classes? My plan for level 20 is Druid 7/Monk 3/Sorcerer 6/Wizard 3.

Your levels will bump up your bonus, too, assuming you're proficient with the trident.

Four classes are a bit much, imo. You'd be better off going for higher level abilities in a single class or two. Not to mention the dependence on so many different abiities. If you're going for a story-based theme, then go for it, but you may need to sacrifice mechanical efficiency. There's nothing wrong with that. You won't be worthless just because you don't have the maximum possible bonus on everything you do.

LastCenturion
2016-03-13, 08:45 PM
Your levels will bump up your bonus, too, assuming you're proficient with the trident.

Four classes are a bit much, imo. You'd be better off going for higher level abilities in a single class or two. Not to mention the dependence on so many different abiities. If you're going for a story-based theme, then go for it, but you may need to sacrifice mechanical efficiency. There's nothing wrong with that. You won't be worthless just because you don't have the maximum possible bonus on everything you do.

So far I've been the most useful character of the party, despite the trident being the first way I got to actually deal damage. Turns out sleep can be really useful for letting your allies Coup de Grace enemies, and a good Investigation check synergies with Disguise Self to get a surprise round fairly efficiently. Also, Blade Ward works really well for a scout.

lebefrei
2016-03-13, 09:06 PM
From a DM perspective, if I gave you that weapon I probably have no intention of adding bonus numbers to it. Moreso, if I am giving someone a Trident of Fish Command, a very underutilized weapon, I am probably using random loot tables or it really fit the situation.

You may not ever get a + weapon in your entire game. 5e is not built around them, and that is still taking people a long time to realize. I tend to only give them if someone has really fallen behind in their character and other people are treating them like it's a drag on the party. Not that my players have noticed that yet, thankfully.

As far as taking four classes goes... Does your DM care about lore/roleplaying? I make players go pretty far to justify multiclassing more than once (how can you master skills that you don't keep with?) and four such classes makes little fluff sense. You probably are also not aware of multiclass requirements. You need Wis, Dex, Int, and Cha all at 13 to do what you want.

LastCenturion
2016-03-13, 09:32 PM
From a DM perspective, if I gave you that weapon I probably have no intention of adding bonus numbers to it. Moreso, if I am giving someone a Trident of Fish Command, a very underutilized weapon, I am probably using random loot tables or it really fit the situation.

You may not ever get a + weapon in your entire game. 5e is not built around them, and that is still taking people a long time to realize. I tend to only give them if someone has really fallen behind in their character and other people are treating them like it's a drag on the party. Not that my players have noticed that yet, thankfully.

As far as taking four classes goes... Does your DM care about lore/roleplaying? I make players go pretty far to justify multiclassing more than once (how can you master skills that you don't keep with?) and four such classes makes little fluff sense. You probably are also not aware of multiclass requirements. You need Wis, Dex, Int, and Cha all at 13 to do what you want.

Lore-wise, my character is really into staves, and constantly works out new things to do with them. I do have the requisite scores for the multiclassing, but only barely (without racial bonuses, I wouldn't be able to). Thanks for the advice about the weapon, though. It was the "fit the situation" thing, by the way. Our party is exploring a partially submerged temple to the shark god in the elemental plane of water.