PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is it possible to get a ghost like Cohort who I can almost make into my familiar?3.5e

evnaz
2016-03-14, 12:18 AM
As the title says I basically want to get a cohort who will do all the fighting for me who I can bond with later

Kelb_Panthera
2016-03-14, 12:52 AM
As the title says I basically want to get a cohort who will do all the fighting for me who I can bond with later

There are some magical beasts on the improved familiar list(s) that could also be used as cohorts via leadership but I'm honestly not sure how being a cohort that gets an XP share and being a familiar at the same time would work in practice.

MisterKaws
2016-03-14, 06:34 AM
Familiars are too weak(and dumb) to be cohorts, unless it's a Winter Wolf or something. Also, there's no ghost-like familiar, although the Coure can turn into an incorporeal light ball.

Necroticplague
2016-03-14, 09:48 AM

Nope. Not how familiars work. You summon a creature into existence as a familiar, you don't turn a creature that already exists into a familiar. Thus, any creature that already exists can't be a familiar.

TheBrassDuke
2016-03-14, 09:52 AM
Ghostly Visage, Heroes of Horror?

MisterKaws
2016-03-14, 10:34 AM
Nope. Not how familiars work. You summon a creature into existence as a familiar, you don't turn a creature that already exists into a familiar. Thus, any creature that already exists can't be a familiar.

You're mistaking it; that only happens in D&D Next. On 3.5, you make a contract with an existing creature.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-03-14, 10:53 AM

Best thing that comes to mind is the Arcane Hierophants's Companion Familiar. You slap a bunch of familiar qualities unto your animal companion, so you get the power of a companion with the intelligence of a familiar.

HurinTheCursed
2016-03-15, 06:25 PM
In Dragonlance's Races of Ansalon p153, you will find a base class called Nightstalker.
This allows up to 3 spirit companions that are ghost cohorts who advance in levels as the nightstalker does.