PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Level 8 Grappler (Minotaur Fighter[EK] 5/Wizard[Artificer] 2/Rogue 1)

snman31
2016-03-14, 02:42 AM
I've read the grappler guide and it made me think of a character idea that makes use of some UA that is not covered in the guide. I'd be curious to know what you guys think.

The concept is a Minotaur Pirate who sailed from port to port becoming famous by drinking and wrestling. Legend has it so strong is his rage that he physically grows before battles. Secretly, he studied for a time under a potion maker and learned to make potions of enlargement that he takes before tough fights.

Mechanically, here's what I'm thinking. Point buy of 14/14/14/13/9/8 allows for multiclassing and starts with 16 STR after the +2 racial bonus (goes up to 18 after ASI at fighter level 4). Fighter 5 (Eldritch Knight) gets extra attack and action surge (EK is for synergy with a wizard multiclass). Wizard 2 (Artificer) allows for the creation of 3 potions of enlarge per day which grant an extra 1d4 damage, an extra size class, and advantage on athletics checks. Cap it off with Rogue 1 for expertise.

End result is a character that can grapple two enemies at +10 and prone them both with advantage (horns) with action surge in one round. If needed, action surge can instead be used to drink the enlarge potion to get advantage and a size increase. From there, the horns do 1d10 plus strength damage with advantage every turn after that. AC20 (25 with shield spell) makes it unlikely he'd be hit, and bond with a trident for ranged attacks and nautical flavor.

Add in solid tanking/utility spells from the wizard/EK combo (shield, absorb elements, longstrider, silent image) and ritual casting (to find his parrot/reskinned raven familiar that can help to get him advantage if he needs it) and I think it would be a fun character to play.

Any tweaks you can think of? Since horns don't proc tavern brawler I don't think that feat would be useful, but are there others that would be better than the STR ASI? Warcaster could be good though only when he's grabbed two guys at the same time and needs a shield spell.

zylodrizzt
2016-03-14, 09:34 AM
Make sure to grab greenflame so u can cause havoc with the two your grappling. Maybe go 3 rogue for thief so u can down those potions faster or AT but using your mage hand. Tavern brawler does work then since u an alchemist then y not fire and use it to set fire to ship's and drop down the throats of your enemies along with oil of course since extra damage. Dont know if trident counts as polearm but if it does take tunnel fighter and get warcaster for all sorts of green flame blade fun. You'll have a lot of options for your bonus action but when is that a bad thing. You could grapple, run away, use attack, prone, use mage hand or object interaction. With reaction youd green flame or booming blade (if u pick it up) to force them to stay near and if u wanted lightning lure cause y not? Heck if u get to Lvl 3 Sorc u could quicken an extra spell just make sure to get non stat spells for those times u want the extra spell sure u won't have a lot of high level spells (depending on interpretation of spellbook feature) but with the higher spell slot deal the ones u use will get a boost to stay relevant. Oh n the familiar u might want owl instead and it can probably do just as much if not more then mage hand. Don't forget to hold people in fire (maybe bonfire) and throw people overboard. Oh n I believe your sneak attack can be used with ranged trident or even alchemist fire. Grab an imovable rod n start pinning opponents to the ground to deal with at your leasure or tie them up or anything else u can think of panhandling someone. Hope i helped

joaber
2016-03-14, 02:07 PM
artificer 2 don't let you create 3 potions of enlarge, where you saw this?

snman31
2016-03-14, 08:01 PM
From the UA Ebberon PDF:

Infuse Potions: Starting at 2nd level, you can produce magic potions. You spend 10 minutes focusing your magic on a vial of mundane water and expend a spell slot to transform it into a potion. Once you have expended a spell slot to create a potion, you cannot regain that slot until the potion is consumed or after 1 week, at which time the potion loses its effectiveness. You can create up to three potions at a time; creating a fourth potion causes the oldest currently active one to immediately lose its potency. If that potion has been consumed, its effects immediately end.

The spell slot you expend determines the type of potion you can create. See chapter 7 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide for complete rules on potions.

Spell Slot Potion Created
1st Climbing, growth, or healing
2nd Mind reading or greater healing
3rd Invisibility, superior healing, or water breathing
4th Resistance

That's why an artificer 2 dip is so strong for a grappler because it gives a concentration free 3 hours of enlarge.

joaber
2016-03-14, 11:03 PM
sorry, missed that. this sounds good.