PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Summoned Shadow, stuff

Seppo87
2016-03-14, 05:59 AM
Opening a lot of threads lately, so many doubts and questions.

1) Who controls the shadow's actions? The GM? The player?

If it's the GM...
Is the shadow supposed to follow the shadowdancer's instructions no matter what?

If it's the Player...
Are you supposed to be able to speak with it when giving instructions, otherwise it will act according to your previously expressed instructions or of its own free will?
Do you know of any ways to communicate with it without speaking (and without being a caster) i.e. telepatically?

2) Can the shadow wear magic items? How does this work with it being incorporeal? Can it manipulate objects at all (even with specific workarounds, possibly)? Can it take anything other than itself through a wall?

3) can it be otherwise enhanced or used for not immediately obvious uses? (by obvious I mean scouting and killing)

Andezzar
2016-03-14, 07:26 AM
1) By RAW it's the DM as the shadow is not a player character, but many DMs give that chore to the player. Some veto certain decisions if they think it would be inappropriate. Communication works as with any other NPC. If you share a language you can talk, if you have other means of communication you can use those.
BTW are you talking about a specific type of shadow?

2) It is an incorporeal creature, so wearing and using items is pretty difficult. The ghost touch special abilities can be applied to weapons and armor, so that an incorporeal creature can use them.

3) I'm not quite sure what enhancements you still need. Unless incorporeal undead are not a viable target for a spell or the buff relies on corporeal form, shadows can receive any buff another NPC can take.

Aldrakan
2016-03-14, 08:20 AM
It specifies you can speak intelligibly with the shadowdancer's shadow. That it matches your alignment, uses your saves, and has familiar penalties for death implies to me it's supposed to be highly obedient.

It could only wear or move other incorporeal objects or ghost touch items. It also isn't proficient with armor or shields, as it's not mentioned wearing any in its entry. It would be proficient with simple weapons.

Seppo87
2016-03-14, 08:41 AM
Thank you all. I think I will buy a ghost touch gauntlet when the time comes.

Andezzar
2016-03-14, 09:00 AM
if I give the shadow a Ghost Tough gauntlet it will be able to manipulate objects, ok.That is unclear. Gauntlets are weird in that they are both armor and weapons. To get all the benefits you would have to enchant them both as weapons and as armor. Only the description of the Weapon Special Ability even implies being able to manipulate other objects. Nowhere is it said that ghost touch items grant the ability to manipulate corporeal objects.

But can it take the gauntlet through a wall?Yes. Are you aware of the Pathfinder System Reference Document (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/)? Most of your questions can be answered simply by reading the rules.