PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a build

GraakosGraakos
2016-03-14, 08:30 AM
So I'm starting a new game on Sunday and I'm the lucky guy that gets to basically just pick what he wants to do. Like any good player I'm struck by analysis paralysis.

I have three basic ideas, two multiclass that I need help picking ratios and one single class.

My first idea is a Paladin/Bard (levelled in that order). I was thinking Lore/Ancients and being a spellcasting focused guy that can still smite in melee. The other route I'd go is Valor/Vengeance and bring the pain.

My second idea was the classic Fighter/Rogue. Expertise in Athletics and shoving people down as a mountain dwarf for "Sneak" Attacks with a short sword sounds hilarious. Probably mostly Fighter, splash rogue for Expertise/Cunning action.

Lastly, single class Wizard, High Elf Bladesinger. Spells focusing on utility and rituals rather than blasting.

So as you can see, I am all over the place and have some options. Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of characters before? I've only gotten to play a Storm Sorcerer in 5e and had a lot of fun, so I want someone with some melee capabilities, even as a secondary avenue.

lebefrei
2016-03-14, 09:06 AM
Like most people asking class suggestions for a new game, you don't mention what the other members of your party will play. This is a huge deciding factor.

Out of your three choices, with no knowledge of your allies, Paladin/Bard brings the most party utility, then Bladesinger, then Fighter/Rogue.

Paladin/Bard starts as a solid tank, face, high damager (limited use), moderate healer, and then rounds out into a melee jack of all trades with lore added. Amazing group utility if taken to 7(8 for ASI) as OotA. 11/12 is also very viable, but you may never see bard levels depending on game length.

Wizards are always useful, and Bladesinger also gives you melee.

The final choice, standard melee, is almost always covered already. You're just another face in the crowd. Not that another fighter is ever terrible. 5e is very allowing for class choice.

CaptAl
2016-03-14, 09:10 AM
So I'm starting a new game on Sunday and I'm the lucky guy that gets to basically just pick what he wants to do. Like any good player I'm struck by analysis paralysis.

I have three basic ideas, two multiclass that I need help picking ratios and one single class.

My first idea is a Paladin/Bard (levelled in that order). I was thinking Lore/Ancients and being a spellcasting focused guy that can still smite in melee. The other route I'd go is Valor/Vengeance and bring the pain.

My second idea was the classic Fighter/Rogue. Expertise in Athletics and shoving people down as a mountain dwarf for "Sneak" Attacks with a short sword sounds hilarious. Probably mostly Fighter, splash rogue for Expertise/Cunning action.

Lastly, single class Wizard, High Elf Bladesinger. Spells focusing on utility and rituals rather than blasting.

So as you can see, I am all over the place and have some options. Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of characters before? I've only gotten to play a Storm Sorcerer in 5e and had a lot of fun, so I want someone with some melee capabilities, even as a secondary avenue.

Ancients/Lore is an excellent tanky/support build. Hand out disadvantage with VM, while concentrating on a buff/debuff plus you can still ramp up a solid Nova round when the situation calls for it. I'd say OoA 7 or 11/ Bard X for this one.

I'd avoid vengeance/Valor unless you plan on keeping one class below extra attack level. Vengeance 3/Bard X. Or Valor 5/Vengeance X.

With the fighter/rogue all you need is Rogue 2 for your concept. Unless you want bigger sneak attack. Uncanny dodge and evasion are awesome too though. Maybe Swashbuckler Rogue 7/Fighter X.

Bladesinger played as a God wizard is spectacular. A back line tank who controls the battlefield. Grab a melee and a ranged cantrip and then focus on buffs/debuffs and you're solid. Don't have to worry so much about that enemy getting through to you. You might consider a rogue dip here just to open up some mobility options and give your melee strikes a little more oomph.

GraakosGraakos
2016-03-14, 09:21 AM
Like most people asking class suggestions for a new game, you don't mention what the other members of your party will play. This is a huge deciding factor.

Bear Barbarian, Skill focused rogue, Sorcerer, and Cleric of Life. Basically, I'm 5th manning.

Dimcair
2016-03-14, 09:25 AM
Did you consider any love for dex-based fighter builds? Rocking bows and not being stupid with a sword/shield either?

lebefrei
2016-03-14, 10:04 AM
Bear Barbarian, Skill focused rogue, Sorcerer, and Cleric of Life. Basically, I'm 5th manning.

Is the rogue melee? I definitely wouldn't go Fighter/Rogue. You want to add more utility.

Paladin/Bard probably has 3 other people in aura range often with your party set up. The sorcerer can be a face, so you don't have to, but two is rarely bad. Your party has a great healer, but Paladin/Bard is a good backup.

You're basically now deciding on the kind of utility that you want. Bladesinger gives a lot of control, and AoE damage. Paladin gives healing, buffs, and a lot of single target damage in limited bursts. Bard later adds more rounded utility.

Neither option is bad for your party.

Jeebs
2016-03-14, 10:17 AM
I'd play a Bladesinger or an Eldritch Knight. I know it's common to dump INT, but I think it's cool to have a character cover each stat, and that seems to be the only one you're missing.

Gtdead
2016-03-14, 10:59 AM
Wizard is the obvious choice. Your party is completely lacking in Intelligent characters, cleric and barb will be able to carry you through the weak early levels easily.

Mors
2016-03-15, 03:19 PM
I second the choice of a Wizard. Compliments the party in combat at least as good as the Paladin (since you already have a tanky melee but your battelfield control is limited to the few sorcerer spells), but it is the best choice outside of combat for the INT checks and skills.

A pure Bladesinger makes for a great support mage. If you want to gish it up, start as a lvl 1 fighter for the fighting style and con proficiency, but you will probably serve your group better by hanging back and casting than hacking in melee. Then again, 2 lvl of fighter are great for every mage thanks to action surge. I would not do this if I played a low lvl mage though, since you will lag behind in spell lvls.

EDIT: Another way to be a gish is two lvls of rogue in conjuction with bladesinger for abusing Booming Blade. Not optimal IMO, but it works good enough. It is much better the other way around as a two lvl bladesinger dip on rogue arcane trickster for dealing damage mainly and not support casting.

Klorox
2016-03-15, 09:32 PM
You might even want to consider a mountain dwarf wizard (I like abjurors for this character).

If not as "gishy" as a bladesinger, but you'll be a full caster and have medium armor to fall back on.

I might just be a bit racist: not a fan of elves. :p

Personally, I'd suggest a druid.

There's already a sorcerer in the party, and wizards and sorcerers are pretty close. You did say you wanted to focus on utility which will set you apart.

Ewhit
2016-03-15, 10:03 PM
I think most people just try mini max and after a bit get bored. Play a fun character even if it's not mini max. Go with a great story and you will have a character yiu and friends will remember.
Right now I'm Playing a "tall" mountain dwarf wild sorcerer who was part of a mining guild in the clan. He hit a pocket of wild magic energy exploding the mountain and wiping out the entire dwarf clan. He survived and was bathed in chaotic energy. He fled into human lands as a hermit. Shaved his hair and beard in Shame and plays that he's a short human denying his ancestry.
But now he has heard rumors of a group of adventures going to a ruined mountain top where strange dwarves have been sighted. Did some family clans survive like him?