PDA

View Full Version : 5e EXPLOSION Magic Spell

Pyon
2016-03-14, 08:40 AM
Have you ever watched/read Kono Suba? Do you absolutely love Megumin.

So do I. Here's her signature spell!

Explosion
1st-level Evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Target: 60 foot sphere
Range: 300 feet
Components: V, S, M (a red stone or ore)
Duration: Instant

This spell while listed as a 1st level spell, automatically uses up all of your spell slots. The spell creates an incredibly large explosion that consumes everything in it's area. The explosion deals 1d6 fire damage for every spell slot level you expend on casting it
(example: a wizard casting the spell with one level 1 spell slot and two level 2 spell slots deals 5d6 fire damage)
Immediately after casting the spell, the caster gains 5 levels of exhaustion and falls prone. These levels of exhaustion are immediately recovered after regaining all spell slots.

Final Hyena
2016-03-14, 12:51 PM
This spell is weak at level one and gets pretty insane the higher level you are.

My suggestion would be that the spell drains all level 1 spell slots and the damage is 8d6 and you add 4d6 for sacrificing all the spell slots of a particular level (you have to be able to sacrifice the maximum available spell slots).

I also suggest an aoe which scales with the number of spell slots used.

Pyon
2016-03-14, 01:53 PM
This spell is weak at level one and gets pretty insane the higher level you are.

My suggestion would be that the spell drains all level 1 spell slots and the damage is 8d6 and you add 4d6 for sacrificing all the spell slots of a particular level (you have to be able to sacrifice the maximum available spell slots).

I also suggest an aoe which scales with the number of spell slots used.

Well, my idea wasn't to make this a "balanced" spell. I just wanted to recreate the spell from the show as truthfully as I could. The idea is that it's incredibly broken, but you lose the ability to do anything after casting it... It could be more fun if I balanced it to actual use though.

JNAProductions
2016-03-14, 01:58 PM
Well, my idea wasn't to make this a "balanced" spell. I just wanted to recreate the spell from the show as truthfully as I could. The idea is that it's incredibly broken, but you lose the ability to do anything after casting it... It could be more fun if I balanced it to actual use though.

I would try to make it balanced. Otherwise, there's not much point posting it here, is there?

Final Hyena
2016-03-14, 03:27 PM

If something isn't balanced for gameplay it never gets used, anyway my attempt to make it work (keep in mind I don't know the original power so am working from your original post) V.2

Explosion
1st-level Evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 100 feet
Components: V, S, M (a red stone or ore)
Duration: Instantaneous

All spell slots bar the one used to cast this spell are sacrificed, each spell slot sacrificed in this way adds additional fire damage equal to their slot level to the total damage. All targets within a 10 foot sphere must make a dex save taking 5d6 fire damage (plus the bonus damage from the sacrificed slots) or half as much on a successful save. After casting this spell you gain 5 levels of exhaustion.

At higher levels;
When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher you deal an additional 3d6 fire damage, the sphere increases in size by 5 feet and the range increases by 20 feet for each slot level above 2nd.

Edit notes;
Balancing this is difficult because of the 5 exhaustion levels which are a rarely used mechanic, having looked at it I gave the damage a slight amp. This was also because I felt the damage output to be a bit under bar for blowing your load in one turn. I'm still unsure if it's playable or just not strong enough for a loss of all your spells, I'm currently considering if the sacrificed spells should give double their slot level in bonus damage.