PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ornstein and Smough Encounter

Spectre9000
2016-03-14, 09:45 AM
How would you translate the Ornstein and Smough fight from Dark Souls into a D&D encounter?

Sander
2016-03-14, 10:45 AM
Ornstein & Smough? Easy...
DM: "You enter the forsaken cathedral, and are greeted by 2 golden figures, one small and one large"
Players: "Alright, we roll for initiative, I've got an ... "
DM: "You die"
Players: "But..."
DM: "Alright, you die again"
Players: "..."
Proceed to bask in your party-wiping glory

Magic Myrmidon
2016-03-14, 11:07 AM
In 5e? Smough's probably a frenzy barbarian, and I'd say Ornstein's a Champion fighter. Pretty high level, both of 'em. When one of 'em dies, make the other large, full heal them, and probably give them another level or two in the other's class.

Norts
2016-03-14, 11:35 AM
I'd actually use monster stats for them. Some sort of golem or giant maybe for smough. Ornstein...maybe enhance some higher powered npc statblock? Or use something like the orc warchief block and add some lightning damage.

krugaan
2016-03-14, 12:13 PM
it would be hard to do given that everything in DS is about dodging and blocking, and you can conspicuously do neither in DnD (at least, you know, on command).

Smough could be a custom iron golem, Ornstein could be ... i dunno, something else lightning based that wields a lance. Is there anything like that?

Douche
2016-03-14, 12:25 PM
I'd give Smough a charging attack that hits everyone in a line, that'd be pretty cool. Make positioning matter a lot