PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Wonder and Wand Strike

Stephen_E
2007-06-19, 07:37 PM
Do people think that allowing Rods of Wonder to be used with the Wand Strike feat would be to powerful.

Where Wand Strike allows you to make a Touch attack to do 1d6 damage (for 1 charge) and similtaneously activate the Wand, targeting the person you hit, for another charge, the Rod of Wonder could be treated as effectively having unlimited charges, and each time you make that touch attack for 1d6, you also activate the Wonder effect.

I was initially thinking it could be done with a feat, but I'm thinking it would probably be balanced without requiring the additional feat.

The Character Concept I was thinking of is a TWFing Gish build with 3 Ranks of Wild Mage. The concept of making Multiple Rod of Wonder attacks each round appeals to me as a terrifying, but not overpowered character idea. You use your actual spellcasting ability for buffs and utility rather than combat.

Stephen

Jasdoif
2007-06-20, 05:55 PM
I don't think it's unbalancing, but it sounds too...sane. Simply add 1d6 damage reliably with the embodiment of "crazy magic item"?

Instead, I would opt that in addition to the target you hit taking damage....determine who gets another 1d6 damage based on the effect of the rod. If it affects your target, target takes an extra 1d6 damage. If it affects the wielder, wielder takes 1d6 damage. If it affects multiple targets, everyone affected takes 1d6 damage (with a DC 17 Reflex save for half). This is per-target, not per-effect; so for instance you only deal 1d6 once even if one person gets hit by those 5d4 gems for 1 point of damage each.