PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Beastmaster Tweak.

Belac93
2016-03-14, 02:05 PM
This is pretty much the basic beastmaster, with a few tweaks.

First off, while you still command your beast with an action, you do not have to do to every round. You can just tell it what to do as an action, and it will pursue your goal to the best of its ability until something else comes up.
In addition, health makes more sense. It mirrors the actual beast health, increasing it by a number dependent on its hit dice.
And, you can have large companions, but still no flying cheese. If you want a flying companion, it has to be no more than medium size.
Exceptional Training now gives the beast an extra skill to work with.

So, what does the forum think about Beastmaster Fix #1835?
Beastmaster’s Companion
Choose a beast that is no more than challenge rating 1/4 or lower, of no more than size large. If you choose a creature with flying speed, it must be no larger than medium.

Add your proficiency bonus to the beast’s AC, attack rolls, and damage rolls, as well as any saving throws and skills it is proficient in. Its hp is equal to 1/2 of its hit dice maximum +1 x your level, or its hit point maximum, whichever is higher.

The beast obeys your commands as best it can. It takes its turn on your initiative, although it will not do anything unless you command it. You can take an action to direct it on a course of action (‘Fight those creatures,’ ‘Run beside me,’ and ‘Flee’ as examples.) Once you gain the extra attack feature, you may give up an attack to command your beast to make an extra attack.

While traveling in your favoured terrain with only your beast, you may move stealthily at normal pace.
If the beast dies, you can obtain another one by spending 8 hours magically bonding with another beast who isn’t hostile to you.

Exceptional Training
At 7th level, on any of your turns when your beast companion doesn’t attack, you can use a bonus action to command the beast to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action on its turn.

In addition, your companion gains proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice. Athletics, Acrobatics, Stealth, Nature, Animal Handling, Perception, Survival, Intimidation.

Bestial Fury
Starting at 11th level, whenever your beast companion makes an attack that you directed it to (not one of the extra attacks), it may attack one extra time. If it has the Multiattack feature, it may use it now.

Share Spells
At 15th level, when you cast a spell targeting yourself, you can also affect your beast companion with the spell if the beast is within 30 feet of you.

Beastly Coordination (Share spells alternative)
Beginning at 15th level, when an attacker that you can see hits your beast companion with an attack, you can call out a warning. If your beast companion can hear you, it can use its reaction to halve the attack’s damage against it.
Resurrect Beast Companion
1st level Necromancy (ritual) (ranger, druid)
Casting Time. 1 minute
Range. Touch
Components. V, S, M (Herbs worth at least 10 gp.)
Duration. Instantaneous.
When you use this spell on a beast companion bonded to you or another character, roll any number of hit dice, losing them in the process (minimum 1). Bring the companion back to life with the number of hit points you roll.

MasterMercury
2016-03-16, 05:31 PM
Is there anything wrong with allowing the beast to level up as you go? Say, 1/4 and medium at 3-5, 1/4 and large 5-7, 1/2 and large 7-11, and 1 and large 11-20? Or something like that?

Belac93
2016-03-16, 05:56 PM
Is there anything wrong with allowing the beast to level up as you go? Say, 1/4 and medium at 3-5, 1/4 and large 5-7, 1/2 and large 7-11, and 1 and large 11-20? Or something like that?

The reason I didn't want to do that was because that makes it so that you end up changing companions to keep the most 'optimal' creature. If I raised a wolf from childhood, I wouldn't just say 'Ooo, a bear! I'll take that.' as soon as I can.

I'm also adding a spell that lets you resurrect your beast companion.