PDA

View Full Version : Telekinesis Question

Wacky89
2016-03-14, 02:11 PM
Can you use feats like Scorpion's Grasp and Choke Hold with Telekinesis Combat Maneuver for grappling?
I didn't have any luck in the RAW thread, maybe someone can help me here? :)

Segev
2016-03-14, 02:33 PM
Can you use feats like Scorpion's Grasp and Choke Hold with Telekinesis Combat Maneuver for grappling?
I didn't have any luck in the RAW thread, maybe someone can help me here? :)

The spell states what you can do, I believe; the list seems exhaustive. So no, but your DM might let you anyway.

Gallowglass
2016-03-14, 02:35 PM
I don't think there is a RAW definitive citation in place, which is why you didn't have any luck.

My opinion would be yes. If you have access to telekinesis and you have a feat or trait that alters your CMB for the type of maneuver you are engaging, I would say you certainly get to use your feats and traits with the maneuver. After all, the feats and traits represent your training and knowledge as much or more-so than your physical muscle memory. You -know- how to use a choke hold, so you know how to do it with your hand or with your telekinetic energy.

the really irritating thing about how it is written is that it specifies how to alter your CMB but not your CMD. So it would seem that you are really good at engaging that grapple, but ridiculously inept at keeping them in the grapple when their turn comes around and they roll against your CMD to break it. IMO, its reasonable to house-rule it toward the seeming intent.

Wacky89
2016-03-14, 06:08 PM
thanks for the input

Zancloufer
2016-03-14, 06:42 PM
Scorpion's Grasp : No. It states you use this feat unarmed or with a light melee weapon.

Choke Hold : YES. Why? Well all it does is :

If you pin your opponent while grappling and maintain the pin for 1 full round, at the end of the round your opponent must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your Wisdom modifier). If the saving throw fails, your opponent falls unconscious for 1d3 rounds.

The Telekinesis spell specifically states you can use to to start a grapple and maintain it with a pin. Since there's no specifications on the feat what you have to be grappling with you can use it with the Telekinesis spell. The only difference between using the spell and physically grappling is that there is no AoO ever and you can use your casting stat instead of Str or Dex in the combat manoeuvre.

Necroticplague
2016-03-14, 07:58 PM
These two are rather unambiguous "no" and "yes" However, TK has a lot of things about it that aren't very well defined (likely as a result of trying to cram three different abilities into one spell). Does it still require a touch attack? Does it override the part about grapples where you move into their square? Do you still suffer the penalties of being grappled? Do you need to devote a combat maneuver every turn to maintain the grapple, or can you grapple him one turn, and trip him the next without breaking the grapple?