PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Mystic.

errormacro540
2016-03-14, 02:13 PM
Hey what I'm just curious as to what the general consensus was for the most recent incarnation of the Mystic rules were. I found them to be messy at best but I might need to go back and revise. For some background I have been invited to start in a new 5th edition campaign (Curse of Strahd) despite having no 5th edition experience. I have however played a wealth of 3.5e and have always been in love with Psionics in general. I'm tempted to see with the DM if I can make one just on principle but I might be more tempted to go Lore Bard if it's not really up to snuff at the moment.

SharkForce
2016-03-14, 02:35 PM
it is probably above average in power, though you'll probably find yourself using a few specific options over and over again as it lacks a bit in variety at the moment.

spartan_ah
2016-03-14, 04:50 PM
Im planning on playing immortal in the upcoming curse of strahd campaign and I think it's pretty balanced if you don't multiclass

KorvinStarmast
2016-03-14, 04:52 PM
To be on the safe side, Lore bard should give you a variety of things to do.

BruceLeeroy
2016-03-14, 05:29 PM
Immortal has some extremely bursty damage options, but like the Paladin it can run out of steam very early in the adventuring day. Easy to see it as overpowered if you typically only have 1-2 encounters between long rests, but for tables that run a longer adventuring day it would be a beautiful exercise in resource management.

The Awakened mind has a few sketchy powers (Occluded Mind is going to drive more than a few DM's crazy) but otherwise seems under-supported. In an RP-heavy game of intrigue or spying it would be fantastic.

Multiclassing opens up some options that many tables would probably feel are unbalanced. See Mystic 5 / Paladin 5 / Fighter 2 for 20d10 (Lethal Strike) + 10d8 (Divine Smite) + 12 (Magic Weapon) + Str + weapon damage in a single turn.

All-in-all, promising, but unfinished. I've got a Warforged Immortal prepped as a backup character. Should be interesting.

Lines
2016-03-14, 07:36 PM
Too front heavy, mystic 1 is the best dip ever. Some abilities are standout much better than others. Needs more options, they don't have to be damage but more way to do things in battle would be good. Other than that, well created and imaginative, I like it.

indemnity
2016-03-15, 10:18 PM
Agreed that the mystic v.2 rules seem written messy, however, they are quite streamlined. Very choice heavy at low levels, a bit repetitious at higher levels 7+.

Immortal plays a bit like a gish/paladin and mystic isn't too different from any other spellcaster.

djreynolds
2016-03-16, 01:18 AM
We are playing Ravenloft now. Starting off at 1st level is not easy, we had to bury a player already. The stuff hits hard and the mystics start off 1d8, which is fine later on, but at 1st is tough.

Does the warrior go dex based, sure. But does he grab chainmail since he gets heavy armor proficiency. I don't know. We play tonight. It is really tough play a dex based martial melee type from 1st level on. I'm almost tempted to tell him to go rapier and shield and the heaviest armor he can use, until his dex and light armor matches an 18AC.

I can see why a lot of builds just begin as fighter at 1st level, because the fighter has the best chance of making it to 2nd.

lebefrei
2016-03-16, 03:59 AM
You don't really need to start as a fighter as some are saying. That is a difference of two HP at level 1. Can that matter? Of course, but it isn't huge. Mystic ends at level 10, though, so you do need to multiclass eventually.

I'd probably recommend Immortal as it gets you heavy armor and a good mix of psychic and combat. Stop at 8 and then pick up another class. Immortal 8/Eldritch Knight X(up to 12 but you probably will stop around total level 15) could be really good.

He is a warrior that is a master of his mind and body, psion and magic. Sounds fun.

djreynolds
2016-03-16, 04:00 AM
You don't really need to start as a fighter as some are saying. That is a difference of two HP at level 1. Can that matter? Of course, but it isn't huge. Mystic ends at level 10, though, so you do need to multiclass eventually.

I'd probably recommend Immortal as it gets you heavy armor and a good mix of psychic and combat. Stop at 8 and then pick up another class. Immortal 8/Eldritch Knight X(up to 12 but you probably will stop around total level 15) could be really good.

He is a warrior that is a master of his mind and body, psion and magic. Sounds fun.

Have you played a mystic? Need some good advice for my two mystics. And we are only going to 10.

Lines
2016-03-16, 04:09 AM
Have you played a mystic? Need some good advice for my two mystics. And we are only going to 10.

Broken will is amazing and you should always ready an action if you want to use it on someone. It lasts until the end of their next turn, so if you ready an action and cast it when their turn begins you get two turns of dominate with an int saving throw. Other than that don't expect to do damage outside of psionic weapon.

djreynolds
2016-03-16, 04:13 AM
Broken will is amazing and you should always ready an action if you want to use it on someone. It lasts until the end of their next turn, so if you ready an action and cast it when their turn begins you get two turns of dominate with an int saving throw. Other than that don't expect to do damage outside of psionic weapon.

Mr. Lines we need more help. How can the warrior mystic excel? We've already had a death. My cleric with AC of 18 took two hits and almost died. Monsters hitting AC18 at 1st mean business. And our mystic was playing around with his crossbow. Help is needed.

Lines
2016-03-16, 05:29 AM
Mr. Lines we need more help. How can the warrior mystic excel? We've already had a death. My cleric with AC of 18 took two hits and almost died. Monsters hitting AC18 at 1st mean business. And our mystic was playing around with his crossbow. Help is needed.

Oh. Well, first off keep in mind at level 1, especially in Ravenloft, whether you live or die is basically entirely luck dependent. You could consider optimising, hard - be variant humans, take magical training and acquire create bonfire, mold earth and find familiar. Familiar gives you advantage on your attacks and if enough people have them bonfire and mold earth can be used to basically make your own battlefield - one space of 1d8 fire damage and two spaces of difficult terrain per person make it far easier to control what happens (that dip is also amazing for melee, replacing one of those with booming or greenflame blade is great once you're into higher levels because you only have one attack anyway), if you take psionic weapon and celerity then as an immortal mystic you have: 18 AC, 10HP (crap, but not much can be done there), advantage on initiative checks (which translates to half an extra turn per combat), advantage on attacks, 1d8+4 at +6 to hit and the ability to burn points for another 2d10 damage. Basically, prepare the battlefield whenever you possibly can and if not you have advantage on initiative which should be enough to murder a reasonable percentage of the enemy team before they can act. Ambush is your friend, since thought spear has no visible components and so can be spammed while your opponent searches for you.

djreynolds
2016-03-16, 06:16 AM
Oh. Well, first off keep in mind at level 1, especially in Ravenloft, whether you live or die is basically entirely luck dependent. You could consider optimising, hard - be variant humans, take magical training and acquire create bonfire, mold earth and find familiar. Familiar gives you advantage on your attacks and if enough people have them bonfire and mold earth can be used to basically make your own battlefield - one space of 1d8 fire damage and two spaces of difficult terrain per person make it far easier to control what happens (that dip is also amazing for melee, replacing one of those with booming or greenflame blade is great once you're into higher levels because you only have one attack anyway), if you take psionic weapon and celerity then as an immortal mystic you have: 18 AC, 10HP (crap, but not much can be done there), advantage on initiative checks (which translates to half an extra turn per combat), advantage on attacks, 1d8+4 at +6 to hit and the ability to burn points for another 2d10 damage. Basically, prepare the battlefield whenever you possibly can and if not you have advantage on initiative which should be enough to murder a reasonable percentage of the enemy team before they can act. Ambush is your friend, since thought spear has no visible components and so can be spammed while your opponent searches for you.

I need these knuckleheads to understand that me the cleric, cannot be the only tank. I can heal and bless you, but I ran away scared, the armored skeletons hit me for 5 points a whack, hill dwarf saved me.

After our first battle, I'm at 2 hit points and run into the library for a short rest and everyone is off looking around and our rogue dies. And they all run back into the library and are positioning themselves behind me. I still have 2 hit points. It was rough way for the rogue to die, the specter crit and then he rolled a 3 on his save.

That's why level 1 is so dangerous, any other player would have died if those skeletons hit them. I guess my question is, is the immortal a striker, like a rogue, or a striker like a paladin, who can stay tank and strike. Because the life cleric looks like he can keep you alive, but not when I'm dead. I blew through my two spells, bless and then healing word. Sacred flame is sweet.

Lines
2016-03-16, 06:22 AM
I need these knuckleheads to understand that me the cleric, cannot be the only tank. I can heal and bless you, but I ran away scared, the armored skeletons hit me for 5 points a whack, hill dwarf saved me.

After our first battle, I'm at 2 hit points and run into the library for a short rest and everyone is off looking around and our rogue dies. And they all run back into the library and are positioning themselves behind me. I still have 2 hit points. It was rough way for the rogue to die, the specter crit and then he rolled a 3 on his save.

That's why level 1 is so dangerous, any other player would have died if those skeletons hit them. I guess my question is, is the immortal a striker, like a rogue, or a striker like a paladin, who can stay tank and strike. Because the life cleric looks like he can keep you alive, but not when I'm dead. I blew through my two spells, bless and then healing word. Sacred flame is sweet.

Changes based on level. Mystic only really comes online at 5, before then your job is to hit things and use charming presence.

djreynolds
2016-03-17, 02:19 AM
Changes based on level. Mystic only really comes online at 5, before then your job is to hit things and use charming presence.

The immortal warrior is almost paladin like, in regards to adding the damage to the strikes. I hope we get to see this.