PDA

View Full Version : Water orc 3.5

j!nx
2016-03-14, 02:19 PM
Just wanted to hear some stories and opinions on water orcs, I am thinking of playing one in an upcoming adventure, I have never played one I am just interested in stories and any information about this race then what is in the UA..

Flickerdart
2016-03-14, 02:22 PM
There really isn't anything more than what's in UA. WotC rarely references material that's not from the core books. They are just regular orcs with an affinity for Water.

OldTrees1
2016-03-14, 02:26 PM
While it has nice ability modifiers(and many like it for that reason alone), you only get one race so I don't like it since it has no interesting features.

However since it has no interesting features, many suggest applying Dragonborn from RotD (removes interesting features but gives 1 of 3 interesting features).

JeenLeen
2016-03-14, 02:36 PM
From what I've read, there're orcs that live underwater instead of on ground. (Not sure what their air-breathing abilities are.)
There's cheesey builds using them by applying the Dragonborn template, since that removes the limited factors they have while letting you keep the good stuff they have.

Fluff-wise, I don't know much. I could see thinking up some interesting stories about orcs raiding. 3-dimensional combat with hordes of orcs sounds interesting.

Flickerdart
2016-03-14, 02:38 PM
From what I've read, there're orcs that live underwater instead of on ground. (Not sure what their air-breathing abilities are.)
This is incorrect; aquatic races live underwater. Water races are just regular races with a bit of elemental flavour.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-03-14, 05:13 PM
If you want to play a high strength character and don't want to be a spellcaster, polymorpher, wild shaper, or such, it's a solid choice. There are other good races for brute strength, but Water Orc's the best one that lacks a level adjustment.

While it has nice ability modifiers(and many like it for that reason alone), you only get one race so I don't like it since it has no interesting features.

However since it has no interesting features, many suggest applying Dragonborn from RotD (removes interesting features but gives 1 of 3 interesting features).

Dragonborn also gets rid of the annoying penalties for being in bright light and the penalty to saves against fire attacks, though the former is also fixed by a cheap nonmagical item (sundark goggles, they're like 10 gp)