PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Questions regarding the Southern Pantheon's Godsmoot protocols

Dunsparce
2016-03-14, 04:37 PM
As shown in the earlier books, the Southern pantheon is usually worshiped together collectively, However the makeup of it overall leaves some questions I would like or us to speculate in

-The role of the High Priest of the collective pantheon. Though the latest one was killed in the battle for Azure City when facing Redcloak(And by now has probably had his position filled by someone else), I wonder if they would have a role, if any. The twelve gods each have their own separate vote, as shown in the brief glimpse we got of it, so I wonder if they even have a role to play in any godsmoot. Additionally are the 12 people actually high priests of each Southern God or merely representatives?

-Since there is an even number of gods, one wonders what sort of demigods they would have for the tiebreaker considering the theme. They could either go with animals from variations of the Chinese Zodiac (Like the Sheep from the Korean Zodiac, the Cat from the Vietnamese Zodiac, or the Naga from the Thai Zodiac) or if they have a completely unrelated theme. Alternatively, maybe the High Priest of the 12 gods is the tiebreaker, but it would seem odd to give a mortal any say in this.

Rift_Wolf
2016-03-14, 06:18 PM
It's possible those twelve Priests are all High Priests of the Twelve Gods. There happens to be twelve of them. If all Twelve Gods are worshipped collectively, there could be a collective of High Priests of equal standing.

Demigods could possibly include First Kings, children of the Gods, great generals and folk Heroes. They don't have to be animals.

NerdyKris
2016-03-14, 07:02 PM
Yeah, the simplest explanation that jives with the sequence during the battle is that there is a high priest for each god, but they're all called the High Priest of the Twelve Gods. Or you could assume that twelve high ranking clerics were selected. But we've already seen people communicating with one god specifically:

Sangwaan gets her powers directly from Rooster.

So they might be worshiped as a whole, but they still have specific clerics for personal tasks, which would fit with the idea that they need clerics to affect the mortal world, but might not always be acting in unison.

Their demigods could be anyone and anything. We saw a variety of races during Hinjo's search for allies when they were on the ship. But given that we only saw twelve clerics in the scene, they probably didn't come to a tie. For all we know they voted "no" unanimously.

dauvis
2016-03-15, 09:45 PM
How about that there are 12 high priests and each of them are born under different signs as a possibility?

Hitchkok
2016-03-16, 02:54 PM
the 12 gods are worshiped collectively by the azurites.
the southern pantheon includes, but is not limited to the 12 gods.

NerdyKris
2016-03-16, 03:21 PM
No, it's quite clear that there are only 12 gods in the pantheon, as we see only twelve clerics around the table in the strip where they vote. Any others would be demigods.

aurilee
2016-03-16, 03:45 PM
Considering that one of the high priests is actually a rat, I imagine that each god has their own high priest. Most likely a member of the church at large who has traits that best suit that god.

Personally, I think that the church of the Twelve Gods would be led by 12 high priests, all essentially holding the same rank within the church (much like how there's no real "leader" amongst the Twelve Gods). So it's a sort of oligarchy.

Kantaki
2016-03-16, 04:01 PM
Considering that one of the high priests is actually a rat, I imagine that each god has their own high priest. Most likely a member of the church at large who has traits that best suit that god.

Ironically the rat priest isn't a priest of rat.:smalltongue: Or maybe he/she is. How should I know.

littlebum2002
2016-03-16, 04:04 PM
There's actually 23 gods in the pantheon. One of those priests represents the 12 good, and each other priest represents one additional god.

mujadaddy
2016-03-28, 11:37 AM
-Since there is an even number of gods, one wonders what sort of demigods they would have for the tiebreaker considering the theme. They could either go with animals from variations of the Chinese Zodiac (Like the Sheep from the Korean Zodiac, the Cat from the Vietnamese Zodiac, or the Naga from the Thai Zodiac) or if they have a completely unrelated theme.Clearly, they have a tiebreaking chairmanship which rotates based on the current Zodiac month.