PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat Question

SMac8988
2016-03-14, 08:52 PM
One of my players is heading towards a mountes class, aiming ranger with sneak attack. I have several questions about mounted combat but my biggest is:

If the player is running a halfling and is using weasle as their mount, which has stealth as a skill, would you allow them to try for mounted stealth in and out of combat? Seems like a unique idea to have halfling sliding in and out of the shadows on a weasel, firing arrows down range.

RickAllison
2016-03-14, 09:03 PM
One of my players is heading towards a mountes class, aiming ranger with sneak attack. I have several questions about mounted combat but my biggest is:

If the player is running a halfling and is using weasle as their mount, which has stealth as a skill, would you allow them to try for mounted stealth in and out of combat? Seems like a unique idea to have halfling sliding in and out of the shadows on a weasel, firing arrows down range.

Compared to the halfling riding around on a pteranodon dual-wielding lances? Let him enjoy his +7 to Stealth (and higher later), it sounds like an awesome concept!

SMac8988
2016-03-14, 09:57 PM
Compared to the halfling riding around on a pteranodon dual-wielding lances? Let him enjoy his +7 to Stealth (and higher later), it sounds like an awesome concept!

I saw a lot of the two lance cheese. Idk, not my ****ch, I don't think I would allow out.

Figured this was different, and kinda odd, but in a good way. Like the idea of a person sized ferret running around with a saddle and eventual war plate; assuming you can put barding on a Weasle..... Lol

SMac8988
2016-03-14, 10:00 PM
Also reading in, he is planning rouge multi class. Can you still use cunning action while mounted to rehide after an attack?

RickAllison
2016-03-14, 10:12 PM
I saw a lot of the two lance cheese. Idk, not my ****ch, I don't think I would allow out.

Figured this was different, and kinda odd, but in a good way. Like the idea of a person sized ferret running around with a saddle and eventual war plate; assuming you can put barding on a Weasle..... Lol

I certainly think it's possible :smallsmile: He will probably want either Studded Leather (15 AC) or the nine times as expensive Breastplate (16 AC).

SMac8988
2016-03-15, 02:02 AM
I certainly think it's possible :smallsmile: He will probably want either Studded Leather (15 AC) or the nine times as expensive Breastplate (16 AC).

gotta make sure it doesn't lower stealth. As a dm would you make the checks harder or at disadvantage? Since he is on a weasels?

Dimcair
2016-03-15, 05:25 AM
For the uniformed: How exactly does a Halfling ride a weasel? There are different size categories are they not? Dire-Weasels?

Regitnui
2016-03-15, 05:50 AM
For the uniformed: How exactly does a Halfling ride a weasel? There are different size categories are they not? Dire-Weasels?

With a saddle.

Seriously though, I'm AFB, but if a creature is one size larger than the intended rider, I'd let them give it a fair go. So how big are weasels/giant weasels in 5e?

Talamare
2016-03-15, 06:01 AM
I would allow him to stealth outside of combat, but not restealth inside of it. He may enter combat while mounted and stealthed for that 1st strike.
It is very clear which actions a mount may take in combat.

With a saddle.

Seriously though, I'm AFB, but if a creature is one size larger than the intended rider, I'd let them give it a fair go. So how big are weasels/giant weasels in 5e?

Giant is Medium with +5 Stealth

Dimcair
2016-03-15, 06:04 AM
/edit: Ninjaed:

Giant Weasel - Medium Beast

Giant Weasel is fair game then

/edit2: He better be good at handle animal or the weasel may start doing something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBZCao0kLE)

Regitnui
2016-03-15, 07:29 AM
I would allow him to stealth outside of combat, but not restealth inside of it. He may enter combat while mounted and stealthed for that 1st strike.

Sounds acceptable to me. I like that mental picture, though.

SMac8988
2016-03-15, 09:45 AM

Any reason you wouldn't allow for a roll while in combat, especially if they have cunning action? I figure they are technically a medium character while Mounted, but with hide. I not arguing it just trying to get the thought.

I personally love the idea of watching a weasel jump from a bush is a blur of blackness as arrows fly from it's back then back into the shadows.

RickAllison
2016-03-15, 09:48 AM
gotta make sure it doesn't lower stealth. As a dm would you make the checks harder or at disadvantage? Since he is on a weasels?

That's why I selected the ones I did! Studded leather was the highest AC on a light armor and the breastplate was the highest AC armor that didn't inflict disadvantage. I would just say he needed to make a check for both himself and the weasel; effectively it gives disadvantage, but still leaves room for more penalties to stealth to play with.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-03-15, 10:01 AM
The weasel probably needs to use its action to Hide, but otherwise it sounds fine. You'd probably be able to spot the pair if either one failed their roll, though.

SMac8988
2016-03-15, 10:17 AM
The weasel probably needs to use its action to Hide, but otherwise it sounds fine. You'd probably be able to spot the pair if either one failed their roll, though.

I could see this, maybe even one roll for both at disadvantage? I feel though since they are both naturally good at hiding it should be possible.

Regitnui
2016-03-15, 02:26 PM
Advantage on stealth out of combat, normal roll in, because people are specifically looking for them. At least, that's how I'd run it. If they were doing sufficient damage, they'd be downgraded to disadvantage.

SMac8988
2016-03-15, 05:06 PM
Advantage on stealth out of combat, normal roll in, because people are specifically looking for them. At least, that's how I'd run it. If they were doing sufficient damage, they'd be downgraded to disadvantage.

That is probably how I will do it! I like that