PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob Question

Fitzclowningham
2007-06-19, 08:19 PM
I apologize in advance for wasting anyone's time, but this is driving me nuts. I played a lot of 1st ed. AD&D back in the day, and kind of got away from non-computerized RPGs pretty much altogether. NWN 2, OOtS and (especially) this forum have rekindled my interest. I'm trying to get up to speed in 3.5, and am using d20SRD for most of it. My problem: where in d20SRD does it discuss experience and levels? I've looked everywhere, I think, but no sign of it.

Thanks,
Fitz

Damionte
2007-06-19, 08:21 PM
Beats, me. I use the players hand book. That may be a better place to start if you're getting back into the Pen and Paper.

Dragonmuncher
2007-06-19, 08:21 PM
Creating a character and advancing it are one of the few things not covered in the SRD.

Matthew
2007-06-19, 08:22 PM
Nowhere, I'm afraid. It's not available under the license.

Fitzclowningham
2007-06-19, 08:29 PM
Darn. Thanks, anyway.

martyboy74
2007-06-19, 08:31 PM
The SRD only has OGL (Open Gaming License) information. This excludes various things, ranging from the information on how to level up (XP, WBL, etc.) to the stats for various iconic monsters (Mind Flayers, Githyanki, etc.).

Jannex
2007-06-19, 08:40 PM
Yeah; WotC deliberately left that sort of information out of the SRD so that people would actually have to buy their books, rather than just getting everything online for free. So you either need to buy the 3.5 corebooks, or find a friend with 'em. :smallwink:

Damionte
2007-06-19, 09:01 PM
It's also left out because the information changes form game to the next. Classes and Such are different in D&D, Star Wars RPG, The Super Heroes game, and D20 modern or whatever.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-06-19, 09:06 PM
I will say this much on leveling, since it is paraphrasing not quoting it's not quite against the rules, and won't give you enough to not need to buy the book to do it anyways...

1) all classes progress at the same rate. Thus a Fighter and a Wizard both getting the exact same number of experience points would level at the exact same time.

2) experience gained is based on the CR of the encounter and the level of the party. Clearly, the higher the CR, the more experience they get, but the more challenging the encounter is.

You could always steal the experience chart from NWN2, I haven't played it, but if it isn't the same as the one in the PhB, it's probably at least as balanced. Then all you need to worry about is the xp per CR thing.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-20, 03:36 AM
Yeah; WotC deliberately left that sort of information out of the SRD so that people would actually have to buy their books

I'm kind of curious whether that actually works, considering the information they left out is barely ten lines worth of text, and would take only a minute to learn in any gaming store that carries the books, and you can easily estimate or make up your own idea based on any number of forums or sample characters.

E.g. create a character by rolling 1d20 for each stat (it's called the d20 system for a reason, no?) and gain a level whenever you buy the GM a pizza.

Rad
2007-06-20, 08:30 AM
E.g. create a character by rolling 1d20 for each stat (it's called the d20 system for a reason, no?) and gain a level whenever you buy the GM a pizza.

WOW... there are some FAT DMs...

Gerrtt
2007-06-20, 08:34 AM
Aye that there are.

Yeah, I suggest using the xp chart from your NwN2 manual. If it's not there either (which would blow my mind) you can probably download the NwN1 manual off bioware's website and I know that it has it.

PirateMonk
2007-06-20, 08:34 AM
gain a level whenever you buy the GM a pizza.

It works in Munchkin.

Wyvern_55
2007-06-20, 08:53 AM
The experiance tables are set up so that you gain a level roughly every 13 or so appropriatly challenging encounters (I believe) though this only works as a rule of thumb if you exclude the lower levels, though for all levels, if they are facing a challange with CR equil to their lev els, the xp earned will be (300 X CR) (for a single monster)

also: the amount of XP needed to raise from one level to the next is equil to (current level X 1000) so you would need 1000xp to get 2nd level 2000 more to reach 3rd etc.