PDA

View Full Version : the spell called Seeming, and casting on corpses

Degwerks
2016-03-14, 10:59 PM
Can this spell be cast on dead people? Unwilling creatures get a Cha save to resist but what about dead people?

Also, just realized that this spell is more than just disguising you and your party. You could cast it on your enemies to make them look like someone their friends would attack.

Any ideas on using Seeming as a psuedo-offensive spell?

Jarmen4u
2016-03-15, 12:24 AM
Even though it's not made clear from the spell itself, in 3.5, the spell effect ended if the target died, and I don't know if you could define a corpse as a "creature" as opposed to an object.

As for the second part, yes, this is intended to be a semi-offensive utility spell. Although you'd have a hard time convincing a group that the guy who just appeared who looks like their enemy and is saying that he's the guy who was standing there 5 seconds ago, is in fact the enemy and not the guy who was standing there 5 seconds ago, might be harder to accomplish effectively beyond just casting the spell.

Shaofoo
2016-03-15, 05:16 AM
A corpse is an object and ceases to be a creature until resurrected. You can't use the spell to disguise a statue with it.

And the only thing I can see your plan working is in a large fight with hundreds of combatants and you are able to cast it without anyone from the enemy side noticing. Just casting it in the middle of a skirmish will not work unless you are dealing with people whose Intelligence Score doesn't go above 3 (and before you start thinking of fooling animals, they have other senses that can be used to still recognize who you really are even if they didn't see you transform).

Degwerks
2016-03-15, 07:31 AM
An object eh?

Raise Dead says "you return a dead creature to life" . So I didn't think before that corpses became objects.

Still not giving up on offensive possibilities though.

Dimcair
2016-03-15, 07:54 AM
As for the second part, yes, this is intended to be a semi-offensive utility spell. Although you'd have a hard time convincing a group that the guy who just appeared who looks like their enemy and is saying that he's the guy who was standing there 5 seconds ago, is in fact the enemy and not the guy who was standing there 5 seconds ago, might be harder to accomplish effectively beyond just casting the spell.

Make him look like a Doppelganger!

Joe the Rat
2016-03-15, 08:02 AM
An object eh?

Raise Dead says "you return a dead creature to life" . So I didn't think before that corpses became objects.

"Dead Creature" could be considered a type of object. Given that Animate Object turns objects into creatures (constructs), never mind Polymorph madness, Spells changing Noun types (Person <--> Thing) is pretty much written in. This also may be why you can't Raise someone if their physical remains are animated - undead is not an object, and therefore not a valid target.

Beleriphon
2016-03-15, 08:05 AM
An object eh?

Keep mind that D&D uses natural language for the most part. So it will describe things the way you might describe them to somebody else rather than in a highly technical manner. As such corpses as objects because a corpse is the remains of a deceased creature.

tieren
2016-03-15, 08:14 AM

Its all about timing.

I always pictured the best use would be when the enemy sends a runner for reinforcements, cast it on the remaining enemies before reinforcements show up and they won't know what is going on. You could make the enemy look like Zombie versions of themselves raised by the party's necromancer.

"Don't attack its me Ted"
"Oh God! This one thinks he's still Ted, poor bastard, Put them down quickly!"

Degwerks
2016-03-15, 08:44 AM
Timing would be a key factor. I can imagine being hidden and seeing two guards about to run into each other, while turning a corner. Using Seeming at that moment would be fun.

I guess it'll all be up to situations that provide opportunities for this. Most likely you won't be able fashion them yourself.

Shaofoo
2016-03-15, 10:38 AM
An object eh?

Well by that logic then dead creatures are still creatures for all spells.

So I could resurrect someone with Cure Wounds instead of Resurrection since they would still recover their HP.

The only way to truly kill someone is with Power Word Kill since that inflicts dead without any reduction in HP.

But I know that such logic does not apply, just that if you allow some exceptions then you should allow all other applicable exceptions.

JoeJ
2016-03-16, 01:50 AM
An object eh?

Dead goblins count as improvised weapons, which sounds like objects to me.

Shaofoo
2016-03-16, 05:56 AM
Nevermind I was wrong, there is rules that say you can't heal a dead person literally in page 197.

Unoriginal
2018-05-13, 10:54 AM
I don't know Why people are trying to eliminate the Seeming from the spell, If would anyone know about that then kindly provide deep guide about that

Please don't necro 2 years-old threads.

Contrast
2018-05-13, 11:01 AM
Its all about timing.

I always pictured the best use would be when the enemy sends a runner for reinforcements, cast it on the remaining enemies before reinforcements show up and they won't know what is going on. You could make the enemy look like Zombie versions of themselves raised by the party's necromancer.

"Don't attack its me Ted"
"Oh God! This one thinks he's still Ted, poor bastard, Put them down quickly!"

...I mean the zombies would still be attacking you so it doesn't seem likely the enemy would prioritise killing them.