PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt or multiclass necromancer character idea

DarthSpader
2016-03-14, 11:47 PM
Been thinking about making a necromancer. The easiest way would be with a gestalt - wich might be the next game I'm in. If it turns out to be single class instead, I can always multiclass it.

Anyway, I was thinking of a war priest / summoner. It does need a decent set of stats to be "optimal" but the joy of being a minion controller is I don't have to be "front line infantry" I figure str/cha/wiz as primary's and then dex/ or int/con.

Here's how i see it: the main character packs decent armor, and a scythe for combat. I get an eidolon at level one, who can run around and fight for me. With command undead, I can take control of an undead during an encounter to bolster my ranks. By lvl 4 (gestalt) I'll have animate dead to really start my mini army. Eventually I'll have:
Eidolon
Command pool
Animate pool
Leadership pool

Feats are, I'm thinking: command undead, channel smite, selective channel, leadership, and then whatever happens to work after that.

Any thoughts?

Extra Anchovies
2016-03-14, 11:59 PM
I don't know where you're getting Animate Dead at level 4 from, because it's not a 2nd-level spell on either class's list.

ETA: Lesser Animate Dead is a 2nd-level Cleric spell, so that's probably what you meant.

That being said, here's a shameless plug for my undead-themed Summoner archetype (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384264-Grave-Master-(Summoner-Archetype)-(PEACH)).

DarthSpader
2016-03-15, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the shameless plug. But I'm looking for direct help / feedback with the idea of war priest / summoner.

And yes, I meant lesser animate. I also forgot the "spell bucket"

So at 6th I would have:

Eidolon
Spell bucket
Feat bucket
Animate bucket
Leadership

Would this be "too much" in regards to a single character? I'd Likley be in control of at least 4-5 or more other creatures aside from main. Does this increase my party's level and make challenges or encounters tougher? Any advice on running this character I would apreciate

Rhedyn
2016-03-16, 05:57 AM
Seems like either an oracle/sorcerer would work best or a cleric/wizard

The spell list really compliment each other for undead.

Your concept sounds more like a deathknight, which I would gestalt Cleric and Anti-Paladin for that. One cleric archetype gives (Undead Lord I think) gives you an effective undead "pet" from level one. Anti-Paladin grants a badass deathstead for you to ride on and add to theme.

Clerics don't actually need high cha if they are battle clerics and cleric channel benefits from a decent cha too.

DarthSpader
2016-03-16, 10:58 AM
I might be wrong but the eidolon is much better then the death lord undead companion, (feats, skills, customizable) and can even serve as a mount at higher levels. So wouldn't that be a better choice? Also summoner spell list is pretty awsome for battlefield control / buffs etc. seems like it matches well with the war priest or cleric list. The only conflict I see is the armor vrs arcane casting. But that's dealt with by taking a feat or simply not using the heaviest armor (or scribing scrolls to use spells instead of normal casting)